Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut

Re: Router security

said by Juggernaut:

All of the connected HW should be visible in your router interface. Wireless, and wired.

I've found the location in the router for that and once everything is set up I will try to apply this comment of yours.

MAC's are easily spoofed.

I'm gathering at some point if internally infected, an external computer that is communicating back and forth can spoof the internal MAC address and the router will then allow more communication? Not quite DMZ status but it would surely be close?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

said by norwegian:

I'm gathering at some point if internally infected, an external computer that is communicating back and forth can spoof the internal MAC address and the router will then allow more communication? Not quite DMZ status but it would surely be close?

Even if you spoof a MAC to a 'known' device, if the router is secured, you still need to have the login, and PW to gain access to WIFI, or the router.

If it is not secured, and have only a MAC filter, you're toast. You can spoof a MAC with a program. WIFI (and blue tooth) broadcasts them.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

Even if you spoof a MAC to a 'known' device, if the router is secured, you still need to have the login, and PW to gain access to WIFI, or the router.

If it is not secured, and have only a MAC filter, you're toast. You can spoof a MAC with a program. WIFI (and blue tooth) broadcasts them.

This is set up with a default SSID but the passphase is my own.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

That's an important part.

But, if it's your telco's unit, they have a backdoor to reset it for access. Better to have your router in between it, and your network.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

But, if it's your telco's unit, they have a backdoor...

And if they do so does ASIO/The NSA/et al But if you have a "Bob2" that's a given.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

That's an important part.

But, if it's your telco's unit, they have a backdoor to reset it for access. Better to have your router in between it, and your network.

So I should have set up my own router and wireless access point and not gone the path of "bundled package". Even if it does leave me to diagnose my own hardware which I think isn't a hard task.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Yes. I have my own router, and my ISP's modem. And no, it's not a hard task.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

Yes. I have my own router, and my ISP's modem. And no, it's not a hard task.

I guess my problem is:

Modem is broken, invested in an all in one - Bob2

I have an old modem Netcomm 4+ replaced with Dlink (started playing up) to work with. I also have a Belkin wireless router and a plain router.

Maybe I need to revisit using the old gear or turning off the wireless in Bob2 and making it a bridge to the next router. Bit of playing around but might be worth looking at.

Whether it stops the beeps who knows, but this Bob2 modem/wireless router does have a beep no other hardware had.
Guess I need to test electrical currents to see if there is an issue for the hardware there.