spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

New green fees tacked to tech purchases

New fees for electronics purchased in Quebec stores will come into effect on Monday.

The new recycling fees of $40 or more will be applied to bills when purchasing televisions, cellphones, laptop computers and printers. The fee will vary based on the product's price and its difficulty for recycling.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/green-fees-tac···603.html

jaberi

what is next?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to jaberi
Heyyy, just like the Ontario Liberal Tax! $11 per LCD monitor to go towards...

... well, I'm not sure what, because the places here in Southern Ontario either resell the good equipment people drop off or pitch it in land fills.

I guess if 5% of the stuff is recycled, it still props up the tax collection. Except here in Canada we call our taxes "WEEE Fees". It's funny, cause they're not so 'wee'.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to jaberi
Now I know why Justin Bieber vomited today.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
And you know that because.........

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to jaberi
Well, i'm back to shopping in Ontario.

jaberi

i'll just give up shopping....tax the polluter they say, just like they do with tobacco companies

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

New fees for electronics purchased in Quebec stores will come into effect on Monday.

The new recycling fees of $40 or more will be applied to bills when purchasing televisions, cellphones, laptop computers and printers. The fee will vary based on the product's price and its difficulty for recycling.

It gets worse I am now paying10$ per apartment just to get rid of electronics. Yes it takes a new truck and I think they go on a boat to China

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to jaberi
That $40 better include a pick up from my house when I want that TV recycled.

On a more serious note, as I haven't seen anything at all about this new recycling program... does anyone know if that means I can now drop off all my electronics free of charge at a store to "recycle" it, or do I still need to pay per item so they could "recycle" it at the local dump site.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
Here in Ontario we have a number of drop sites, most of which are engaged in the waste management business in some way, but Staples and other retail locations are also on that list so it's quite possible the same will apply there.

This site suggests the same - »becgreen.ca/2012/08/15/recycling···st-2012/

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Staples is on the list in Quebec, but it doesn't give specific locations, and the last time I asked at two different stores, both said no. So I'm not sure if they're actually doing it, or the cashiers were just clueless.

And since there's a small 'Eco-quartier', city's offices for all things to do with recycling and such right next to my job, I just kept bringing it there as their fees are pretty small. I think they charged me $9 or something last time when I brought in 2 PCs, a monitor, a scanner and some small things. But if stores are going to charge me now when I buy it from them, then I don't see a point in paying it twice to dispose of it. I guess I'll give Staples another try and ask again.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to jaberi
When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about golf.

Do they charge 14.975% tax on the new fees?

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to ekster
Instead of paying for disposing of equipment, check with metal recyclers.

Its not like they'll be giving you big bucks, but getting paid $9 is infinitely better than paying out $9 for the exact same thing.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to ekster
said by ekster:

That $40 better include a pick up from my house when I want that TV recycled.

On a more serious note, as I haven't seen anything at all about this new recycling program... does anyone know if that means I can now drop off all my electronics free of charge at a store to "recycle" it, or do I still need to pay per item so they could "recycle" it at the local dump site.

They have these fee's in Ontario and I haven't seen anything different when it comes to disposal. I know the local Rona stopped taking electronics a few months ago because it was costing them too much. (they never received money from the Ontario Gov't as far as I know) Likely they had to pay a high disposal fee.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 recommendation

reply to Bob4
Since the green fee is built into the price, most probably yes.

The fee for a 29" or larger TV is $42.50

We buy 32" TVs for $199. The new cost with this fee and tax is:

(199 + 42.50) * 1.05 * 1.095 = $277.66

This means the 32" TV now has a 40% sales tax. It's absurd.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

hm

@videotron.ca
These recycling fee's are part of our city tax. We can bring any and all electronics to one city place at no charge (not to mention all the retail stores).

I'm going to have to look into this one on the city website and by-laws etc.

If they are charging a special tax, then I sure as heck want a certain amount removed from my city tax.

Any other home owners with this built in to your tax? Ever look?
Expand your moderator at work

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to urbanriot

Re: New green fees tacked to tech purchases

said by urbanriot:

Here in Ontario we

1) Pay an environment disposal fee on import of goods into the country. This is a levy on importation.
2) Pay upon retail purchase of the electronic item.
3) Pay an additional time at the municipal landfill.

I'm pretty sure a mouse costs $ 1.10 to manufacture; and $ 20 to dispose of. Something is very wrong here.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

This means the 32" TV now has a 40% sales tax. It's absurd.

So is the government of Quebec trying to get people to pack-up and move out of the province? Between the 15% sales tax, this tax, having to have 2 sets of tires for your car... Why live in Quebec?
Expand your moderator at work

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to CanadianRip

Re: New green fees tacked to tech purchases

said by CanadianRip:

said by urbanriot:

Here in Ontario we

3) Pay an additional time at the municipal landfill.

If you're doing that instead of taking it to one of the free recycling places, that's your own fault.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

Calling it a fee is just government's way of increasing taxes yet again and make it less obvious to the average ignorant, clueless citizen.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

jaberi

not everyone gets rid of all their electronic devices....wouldn't it be better if one can pay when they are disposing their device?....

is the green fee added after the hst or before?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to jaberi
In Quebec, these new fees will be before QST/GST; we will have to pay tax on the fee.

I wouldn't mind them as much if they weren't so exorbitant. $42.50 on a $199 television is just insane.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to jaberi
said by jaberi:

wouldn't it be better if one can pay when they are disposing their device?

They everyone would just throw their old TVs out on the street.