spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

baseball1187

join:2011-10-11

MyServices now shows usage

Just logged into myservices to be shows a sweet page showing how much data I've used all the way back to June of this year. I don't know how long this has been there as I don't log in too often.

BTW, I am in South Carolina. Definitely not a good sign of things to come...

//I did a quick check to see if this was already posted, delete if it was.

baseball1187

You can see usage by month, day, or hour... down to the MB if usage is under a gig for the selected period.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to baseball1187

MyServices was down all weekend due to upgrades and I thought maybe this is what they were adding for us. I just logged in (painfully slow) and still no usage meter is there. There is an alert message:

"MyServices latency
Time Warner Cable is aware of slow response time to features within MyServices. We are working hard to resolve them. Please check back soon. We apologize for the inconvenience."
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

baseball1187

reply to baseball1187

Click for full size
here are a couple screenshots of the "welcome" page usage meter and the daily detail usage.

I will compare to my pfsense stats after a few days.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to baseball1187

I don't know about "not a good sign." I've had the meter since a month and a half ago when I started out with TWC (Austin). I'll start complaining when they try to bill me for overages, but I hit 172GB in August, 202GB in September and 2GB so far today...and they aren't complaining. Then again, I have Ultimate.

baseball1187

I agree, and they've stated that they will keep unlimited usage tiers for customers who are willing to pay for it. I feel like I am already paying plenty.

I know they didn't spend the money on implementing this as simply an additional feature for customers to track their daily usage. It starts like this... Get customers used to seeing their usage, then add caps.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

They already have caps in some areas...if you want to pay slightly less for Internet in return for a 5GB cap.

How much are you paying for 'net access btw? I'm sitting at around $85 per month for the next 10 months or so. After that I get to yell at TWC until they lower my rate again, below the $110 or so that I'd be paying at "full ticket" price.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

said by iansltx:

They already have caps in some areas...if you want to pay slightly less for Internet in return for a 5GB cap.

How much are you paying for 'net access btw? I'm sitting at around $85 per month for the next 10 months or so. After that I get to yell at TWC until they lower my rate again, below the $110 or so that I'd be paying at "full ticket" price.

It's more accurate to say you can voluntarily get a piddly $5 discount if you agree to limit yourself to 5GB a month. Call center employees who have confidentially talked to me about it report almost zero interest in this program once consumers learn the limit only gives them a tiny discount.

My guess is it is more of a test run for their meters on a program unlikely to antagonize anyone because almost nobody will want this. From our reporting, you can expect TWC to implement limits on budget Internet plans, and perhaps even standard service, but lift them on premium plans. The question is, will be be like Comcast's ridiculousness or will TWC be fair and let people keep unlimited at current prices but offer voluntary discounts for customers who want to pay less for using less.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

confidentially talked? uh yah doesn't make sense nor is correct. but okay And they'll tell you anything as they don't care about you nor the customer, nor about TWC.

Your reports and your guesses are not correct. Just because they give a usage meter does NOT mean they are going to cap. And what if they did? Are you going to go cry about it again when in fact you have admitted before you're not a customer of them. You do business with Frontier/Fairpoint.

And what reporting? I want to know when you became a reporter because you were a nobody until you made a big stink on your BLOG!

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to Dampier

What's your monthly bandwidth usage?

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to hottboiinnc

Dampier doesn't use Frontier? He's been with Time Warner since forever. He only went to Frontier for a few weeks back when Time Warner tried to implement caps in Rochester and then went back to Time Warner after Frontier failed to supply decent speed at the time. Of course at the time, Time Warner also backed off from their metered billing trial for Rochester due to the storm Dampier caused from his site. He did the same show of hurt to Frontier as well when they tried to implement a 5GB cap, and look where they ended up.

By the way, if you get to know the reps away from the office, they are vastly different in how they stand up for folks. They're just like the field techs who actually speak truth and will help you out because they don't have a manager breathing down their back constantly conforming to set policies. Would I say that another evil company, Verizon actually has their reps speaking out against HomeFusion? .

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

and during that time Frontier had caps as well. So it was a moot point. And his storm didn't do anything. Companies are still doing and he did nothing really. He really made himself look like an a*& to a LOT of people that he cut down and tried to make a big deal about. Do you know how many Reps in NC that will tell you he is nothing but a joke and they can't stand him? Go talk to a few of them over the "stories" he wrote about on their Muni bills.

And reps away from the office- again- will tell you anything you want to hear, they don't care about you, nor the company. and if he REALLY wanted to make a difference. he'd put his money where his blog is, and actually stand up against these companies and compete with them. Ikano will give him access to their DSL network for $200. MegaPath will give him access to their entire network and product offering. Why doesn't he do that? Instead he writes blogs that do really, nothing.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit

said by hottboiinnc:

and during that time Frontier had caps as well. So it was a moot point. And his storm didn't do anything. Companies are still doing and he did nothing really. He really made himself look like an a*& to a LOT of people that he cut down and tried to make a big deal about. Do you know how many Reps in NC that will tell you he is nothing but a joke and they can't stand him? Go talk to a few of them over the "stories" he wrote about on their Muni bills.

And reps away from the office- again- will tell you anything you want to hear, they don't care about you, nor the company. and if he REALLY wanted to make a difference. he'd put his money where his blog is, and actually stand up against these companies and compete with them. Ikano will give him access to their DSL network for $200. MegaPath will give him access to their entire network and product offering. Why doesn't he do that? Instead he writes blogs that do really, nothing.

If Frontier had caps, how come I did 300GB during the month he was writing those articles and I didn't hear a peep from them? At the time it was all up in the air, simply sitting in the ToS and they weren't quite enforcing it universally until a year later where it happened for two weeks and then died off in a small town. I feed out of Rochester for my service. Time Warner in my area is a part of the Buffalo division, and Time Warner wouldn't have even tried to do it in Buffalo due to the infamous 4 letter word that starts with an F and ends with S.

With the reps away from the office, are you assuming the question is worded to the side of the consumer or it is being worded specifically to break down the rep. If you speak as a consumer it's one thing. If you speak as someone who doesn't care what happens and you show interest in supporting company policies, you get someplace. If you speak in such a way to where you're look at funny because you went beyond their vocabulary in stuff they should know for their job, then you've practically destroyed their stance.

Now if the reps think Dampier is a joke, then that's their opinion of them. I don't hold opinions as I don't know the situation down there and I cannot chime in as accurately as I would if I were down there. I only chime in with info based on what I read/see/hear and personally experience. I find Dampier's articles informative, not useless, even if they are not spot on, and they do paint a realistic picture. I've been visiting the site since the domain was registered.

Also, I don't know what posting on a forum arguing about a blog is going to accomplish. Perhaps the same thing as a blog telling a company to go away and not cap users, but sell by the megabit as they've done since their inception and make bank off of.

hottboiinnc
ME

Cleveland, OH

I'm not aruging anything. I asked a question and stated fact on what people truely think. The Reps in NC will tell you what they think of him. but that's another story. And I'm going based upon a "news site" that only has 1 person that writes and calls them an "editor" when they are the only one.

But yes Frontier has stated before their cap is 5gigs take a gig or so. it's been covered over and over again.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to Smith6612

"I find Dampier's articles informative, not useless, even if they are not spot on, and they do paint a realistic picture. I've been visiting the site since the domain was registered."

I often read Dampier's articles, as i have told him before I find them well written but way too wordy.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
reply to baseball1187

I still don't see it on my account.

ds5v50

join:2003-01-22
Fremont, OH

I woke up this morning and found it is on my "My Services" page now.

scififan68

join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Mine does as well, but shows 0mb since July and its only for my emta which I only use for phone service.

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

Your reports and your guesses are not correct. Just because they give a usage meter does NOT mean they are going to cap. And what if they did? Are you going to go cry about it again when in fact you have admitted before you're not a customer of them. You do business with Frontier/Fairpoint.

And what reporting? I want to know when you became a reporter because you were a nobody until you made a big stink on your BLOG!

Blah blah... more useless personal attacks that add nothing to the conversation.

A company going through all the effort of adding a usage meter will cap at least some users, otherwise there is no point in offering one. I am a Time Warner Cable customer, BTW, so you are wrong there as well.

FairPoint is a phone company serving northern New England, not Rochester, NY. I don't live in Vermont, NH or Maine.

You obviously think I am somebody because you cannot resist responding to most of the things I write. It fascinates me you are so obsessed.

For others interested in Time Warner Cable's thinking about usage caps, check this out: »stopthecap.com/2012/09/19/time-w···pricing/

That is not me saying it... it is them. If they come back to heap more abuse on customers, there will be another big stink. It was certainly effective the last time, and I still have Sen. Schumer's phone number if there needs to be a second round.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

What's your monthly bandwidth usage?

It varies a lot. When we did a wholesale cloud storage backup of some of the computers here and also created a full backup set of all the multimedia on STC, we hit our all-time high of around 300GB. In winter months, usage tends to be less, although we stream a more shows.

On average, we upload at least 30GB a month. STC-related stuff usually averages at least 75GB a month total, reviewing content (esp. multimedia, backups, etc.)

There are two people living here, one an IT professional who does a lot of telecommuting. I work from home entirely.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

Rochester, NY
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

Well, let's see. One of the early supporters of the first round of banning municipal broadband was hounded out of office and some of the others are now also gone. Rep. Marilyn Avila and a few others also faced intense media coverage based on the money they took from AT&T and TWC that we helped expose. I am not surprised they have a negative impression about me. So does Frontier's Maggie Wilderotter, who has written company memos about us trying to defend some of their dumber decisions.

They can call me whatever they like, as long as those usage caps get rescinded.

I have no interest in being in the ISP business. I am interested in promoting those that do and offer consumers good service at a fair price.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to Dampier

...which means that you would've been okay on Comcast's old cap system...I've exceeded 500GB in a month and not heard a peep from them...and you'd even be fine under their new system.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of caps that stifle the usage of more than the top one or two percent of customers. But it's enlightening to see how little, in comparison to many US wireline caps, people actually use (provided the meter works...and TWC's does).

VZBTech
Premium
join:2007-12-15
Apex, NC
reply to baseball1187

It is in my account services now as well.

I checked the usage for yesterday and compared it to my netflow analyzer and the usage is dead on.

baseball1187

it appears to be pretty close for me too. Within a gig.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4

said by baseball1187:

it appears to be pretty close for me too. Within a gig.

A gig is a lot. :P

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to baseball1187

No bandwidth meter on my My Services page in North East Ohio. I have their top Internet tier, 50/5.

baseball1187

reply to antdude

this is called rounding.

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
reply to baseball1187

Manhattah, got the postcard Monday. No usage meter tho at the site. Been looking at the Motorola modes. $4 more in Turbo when can get a DOCSIS 3 IPv6 for maybe $50 +/- used? Doubt TWC does much upgrading beyond that in year to be even. Their ARRIS one is good so far. Avoid the Ubee ones!

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to baseball1187

Last night I looked at 'my services' to get an idea how the new usage meters compared to my actual data collected by various sources internal on my network.

First, I use Manage Engine Netflow analyzer and Cacti (SNMP) to manage my router(s) and various server interfaces. My router(s) all run DD-WRT and contribute SNMP and Netflow statistics. In addition, DD_WRT has a monthly usage graph built in.

It seems that TWC Meter data has existed for my account since Mid September. To preserve an 'apples to apples' comparison, I limited my comparison to this time range.

The good news - I see very little difference between the numbers reported by the Time Warner Meter and my own internal metrics.

It does appear, however, that the TWC meter only counts download traffic. I do not know if this was an oversight on TWC part or if it is a 'feature' that will be added later....

Now its time to hold your breath for the caps.....
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

said by dellsweig:

It does appear, however, that the TWC meter only counts download traffic. I do not know if this was an oversight on TWC part or if it is a 'feature' that will be added later....

Now its time to hold your breath for the caps.....

Interesting. Perhaps they're trying to meet peering agreements by prompting to have users upload more?