share rss forum feed

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to hottboiinnc

Re: MyServices now shows usage

said by hottboiinnc:

and during that time Frontier had caps as well. So it was a moot point. And his storm didn't do anything. Companies are still doing and he did nothing really. He really made himself look like an a*& to a LOT of people that he cut down and tried to make a big deal about. Do you know how many Reps in NC that will tell you he is nothing but a joke and they can't stand him? Go talk to a few of them over the "stories" he wrote about on their Muni bills.

Well, let's see. One of the early supporters of the first round of banning municipal broadband was hounded out of office and some of the others are now also gone. Rep. Marilyn Avila and a few others also faced intense media coverage based on the money they took from AT&T and TWC that we helped expose. I am not surprised they have a negative impression about me. So does Frontier's Maggie Wilderotter, who has written company memos about us trying to defend some of their dumber decisions.

They can call me whatever they like, as long as those usage caps get rescinded.

I have no interest in being in the ISP business. I am interested in promoting those that do and offer consumers good service at a fair price.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Dampier
...which means that you would've been okay on Comcast's old cap system...I've exceeded 500GB in a month and not heard a peep from them...and you'd even be fine under their new system.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in favor of caps that stifle the usage of more than the top one or two percent of customers. But it's enlightening to see how little, in comparison to many US wireline caps, people actually use (provided the meter works...and TWC's does).

VZBTech
Premium
join:2007-12-15
Apex, NC
reply to baseball1187
It is in my account services now as well.

I checked the usage for yesterday and compared it to my netflow analyzer and the usage is dead on.

baseball1187

join:2011-10-11
it appears to be pretty close for me too. Within a gig.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
said by baseball1187:

it appears to be pretty close for me too. Within a gig.

A gig is a lot. :P

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to baseball1187
No bandwidth meter on my My Services page in North East Ohio. I have their top Internet tier, 50/5.

baseball1187

join:2011-10-11
reply to antdude
this is called rounding.

sludgehound

join:2007-03-12
New York, NY
reply to baseball1187
Manhattah, got the postcard Monday. No usage meter tho at the site. Been looking at the Motorola modes. $4 more in Turbo when can get a DOCSIS 3 IPv6 for maybe $50 +/- used? Doubt TWC does much upgrading beyond that in year to be even. Their ARRIS one is good so far. Avoid the Ubee ones!

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to baseball1187
Last night I looked at 'my services' to get an idea how the new usage meters compared to my actual data collected by various sources internal on my network.

First, I use Manage Engine Netflow analyzer and Cacti (SNMP) to manage my router(s) and various server interfaces. My router(s) all run DD-WRT and contribute SNMP and Netflow statistics. In addition, DD_WRT has a monthly usage graph built in.

It seems that TWC Meter data has existed for my account since Mid September. To preserve an 'apples to apples' comparison, I limited my comparison to this time range.

The good news - I see very little difference between the numbers reported by the Time Warner Meter and my own internal metrics.

It does appear, however, that the TWC meter only counts download traffic. I do not know if this was an oversight on TWC part or if it is a 'feature' that will be added later....

Now its time to hold your breath for the caps.....
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
said by dellsweig:

It does appear, however, that the TWC meter only counts download traffic. I do not know if this was an oversight on TWC part or if it is a 'feature' that will be added later....

Now its time to hold your breath for the caps.....

Interesting. Perhaps they're trying to meet peering agreements by prompting to have users upload more?