uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory

join:2010-09-03
Australia
reply to Cartel

Re: Canada and the US Government hacked by China

Machine that was hacked was made by China.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
spooky !

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

It doesnt buddy. IT STOPS THE FREE FLOW OF INFO ALLOWING THE GOVT TO GO THRU WITH THIER EVIL PLANS W/O WORRYING ABOUT PPL DISCUSSING WHATS GOING ON BEHIND THIER BACKS!!!!!

They dont like all these TRUTH SITES thats expose what they are doing!!!!!!! (davidicke.com/forum,etc)

I think the reptilians are behind this hack.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to KodiacZiller

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

I am not dismissing the story. I don't buy the part in the quote to whit:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.

social engineering can close any gap.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
said by AVD:

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

I am not dismissing the story. I don't buy the part in the quote to whit:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.

social engineering can close any gap.

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999
Expand your moderator at work

Frodo

join:2006-05-05
reply to Cartel

Article on sophos.com
"How a single spam from China ended up as an attack on the White House"
»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10···e-house/

"Fox dedicated over 660 words to the Chinese hacking story, but after careful reading it seems pretty clear that the incident, and the story, can be simplified quite significantly.
Here it is in 40 words, for a compression ratio of over 94%:
* A malicious spam from a computer in China reached a single unclassified computer in the White House Communications Agency.
* The computer may or may not have become infected as a result.
* Protection against malware and hackers is a good idea. "
Expand your moderator at work

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
reply to Frodo

So the spam filters were not up to date?

Or is this called "data mining" now days? Please run this xyz.exe? /sarcasm tone off.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by norwegian:

Well spam filters are bypassed all the time. Spammers are constantly inventing ways of making their junk look legitimate. It's a constant battle just like it is for malware.

I've received some really good looking (well done) spam recently to an anonymous email account. It contains the usual links to malicious websites. There's always someone dumb enough to click on them.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
reply to Frodo
That about sums it all up. The media is having a field day with this non-issue.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by norwegian:

Well spam filters are bypassed all the time. Spammers are constantly inventing ways of making their junk look legitimate. It's a constant battle just like it is for malware.

I've received some really good looking (well done) spam recently to an anonymous email account. It contains the usual links to malicious websites. There's always someone dumb enough to click on them.

I call that the "Ooooh Shiny" factor.

or when I worked in tech support I always stated that the worst threat to PC security is the "Yes Clicker", The common Yes Clicker can defeat even the strongest security system because if you entice them correctly they will click yes to just about anything.

Free iPads are common carrots to wave.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
·Shaw
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Cartel
American think tanks are key targets in a "furious wave of cyber-espionage" aimed at U.S. government and business by China and other countries, according to the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., told USA TODAY that the hacking is part of a campaign by China and other nations to obtain valuable information on a number of fronts, from policy deliberations and pending litigation to national defense and private product development.

»www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati···1600269/

Ghosty9543

join:2004-02-26
Seattle, WA
reply to Cartel
how is this not causing outrage?

a silent war is brewing.

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I can believe this 100%, who cares about the press and the "flare" they put on story's. This has been going on for a long time. Have a look at my logs for 3 days, you shouldn't have to even trace these main IP's they all come from them. No matter how many times I change my IP every one I get always has Chinese logs as the top addresses. I could care less of they are "zombie" computers China needs to be shut off from the web plain and simple.

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers but instead of stealing technology and pirating just about everything they find. Maybe they should research and come up with there own ideas, but as history has proven they are leaches on the world stage.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.

wrong.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT

1 edit
reply to Camaro
I've got your 'top two' in my logs as well.

If somebody wants to start defending themselves, these would be good places to start.

It might become necessary to block all ports other than http: and https: coming out of China.

I turned my gateway's 'stealth mode' back on a year or so ago, and I don't think I'm going to turn it off any time soon.