spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

UCJ

join:2012-10-01

Frequent/fast connection drops

Going to call WOW tomorrow and see about a modem swap, but just posting here to see if anyone's had the same issue...

I've been getting frequent speed drops on my 15/2 WOW service. I don't know how long it's been happening, since I only noticed when trying to play online on my Xbox 360 (I don't play online often). Every ~20 seconds, the game will drop to 1/0 bars and freeze for about 1-2 seconds, then resume normally.

I can see the drops when doing speedtests, took a pic here: »i.imgur.com/XcjYh.png. Tried connecting my Xbox directly to the modem, brand new CAT-5 cable, tried a different coax cable to the wall, power cycled the modem, same problem. It's not a problem with the 360 either, I took it to a friend's and it was fine over there.

Something that may be related, I have an Arris TM402G/110 modem. We recently got rid of our WOW phone line, but the Telephone 1 light keeps blinking, even after resetting the modem. Shouldn't this be off/disabled? Thoughts?

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI

I'm also having similar trouble - especially lately - with stability/connectivity/ping with xbox live. I have the ultra tv Arris gateway as my modem/router and a wireless router as my AP. Different setup obviously but I'm just chiming in in case there is a more centralized infrastructure issue. Unfortunately for me hard-wiring works fine.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:29
reply to UCJ

UCJ, please send me your account number or phone number in a private message. I have an idea of what the problem might be.

Lamb_burger

join:2012-10-02
reply to UCJ

I'm having a similar issue. I lose connection entirely when watching netflix/browsing the web. I'm also using a third party wireless device connected to the Arris media gateway. I've already contacted WOW and had the gateway swapped out for a new one once. They also change the splitters on the coax in my house. If I can't get this resolved, I'm going to have to return to the old cable modem/dvr setup or leave WOW completely.

NuclearXP

Trenton, MI

said by Lamb_burger:

If I can't get this resolved, I'm going to have to return to the old cable modem/dvr setup or leave WOW completely.

I'm right there with you. I have done a inordinate amount of testing and keep coming full circle to the fact that the Ultra TV DVR/gateway/modem/coffeemaker/kitchen sink just isn't designed or configurable in it's current state to properly function with add'l access points.

Lamb_burger

join:2012-10-02

The issues I've been seeing seem to relate somehow to the IP of the wireless router I've attached to it. It seems like the router loses connectivity every time there's a dhcp renew. I'm not totally sure that this is the cause because I don't have the diagnostic capabilities, but when I lose connectivity to the Internet, it seems I'm unable to manage my wireless internally across my LAN.

NuclearXP

Trenton, MI

have you tried adjusting the dhcp renewal interval? what about doing static assignments for testing

UCJ

join:2012-10-01
reply to UCJ

Thanks to WOW Dan for fixing this for me! It had something to do with the telephone being enabled/disabled I think.