how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

motisaz

join:2001-11-15
Cottonwood, CA

[Email/WebMail] Setup Charter Email Android & Home & Laptop

If you would like to send/receive Charter Mail on both your Android (2.3) AND computer, including a laptop connected to an internet other than your Charter home service, set Phone and Computer as follows:

ON ANDROID PHONE

OPEN SETTINGS
SELECT ACCOUNTS
SELECT YOUR CHARTER ACCOUNT (Create account if it does not exist)

INCOMING SERVER
Select: POP MAIL SERVER
Incoming server: pop.charter.net
User Name: XXXXXX (Do NOT include @charter.net)
Password: (enter your password)

ADVANCED SETTING
Port: 110
Use secure connection: do NOT check
Use secure password: NEVER
Authentication: PASSWORD
Verify Certificate: do NOT check

OUTGOING SERVER
Port: 587
SMTP Server: mobile.charter.net
Username: XXXX (Include @charter.net)
Password: (enter password)

ADVANCED SETTING
Use secure connection: CHECK BOX
Use secure password: AUTO
Authentication: AUTO
Verify certificate: do NOT check

OTHER SETTINGS
Delete messages older than: SET CHOICE
Remove manually deleted Emails . . . : CHECK BOX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OUTLOOK/WINDOWS SETTINGS

Your Name: (enter name to appear)
Email address: XXXXX (INCLUDE @charter.net)
Incoming Mail Server (POP3): POP.CHARTER.NET
Outgoing Mail Server: MOBILE.CHARTER.NET
User Name: XXXX@charter.net
Password: (enter password)
Remember password: CHECK BOX

MORE SETTINGS

OUTGOING SERVER
My outgoing server requires authentication: CHECK BOX
Use same settings as my Incoming Mail Server: CHECK CIRCLE
DO NOT CHECK/FILL ANY OTHER INFORMATION

Select ADVANCED

Incoming Server (POP3): 110
Outgoing Server (SMTP): 587
This server requires an Encrypted Connection (SSL): CHECK BOX
Remove from server when Deleted from Deleted Items: CHECK BOX
Delivery: SUGGEST “Leave Copy On Server”, but make sure Andriod set to remove mail from server when deleted.

CLICK OK THROUGH EACH PAGE TO ACCEPT CHANGES.

These settings allow me to use Outlook on my laptop at home or on the road, and simultaneously do the same on my Android 2.3 phone. Note: Errors are rare, but if both devices mail update happens to hit the server at the same time, you may receive a temporary error.

I had a heck of a time setting this up - would like others to benifit from my hours of trial & error.

Anon_Name

@charter.com

If you use Charter's mobile settings everywhere, you will never run into an issue caused my multiple clients accessing the mailbox at the same time, as IMAP can handle this.

»www.myaccount.charter.com/custom···7#mobile

motisaz

join:2001-11-15
Cottonwood, CA

Thanks for the info, but I tried each Charter published settings and even the Motorola/Charter instructions. Some of the Charter information even refers to what seems to be a non-existent server (charterinternet.com).

I could send from the Android using IMAP Settings, but then could not send or receive from my laptop while traveling. In fact, the posted Charter Outlook settings did not support send commands when on other ISPs - their response is to use Webmail from their website; not a good alternative since I have several accounts.

With these settings I can send and receive on both my laptop (Outlook) and Android (2.3) wherever I am, and avoid Webmail. I suspect the setting will work on other Smartphones and devices; I just have no way to check.

You can get a rare Outlook error if the phone and laptop receive functions happen to hit the server at the same time, since it authenticates on a first-come-first-served basis.

I spent many hours on this, and hope the settings help someone else. I ran into problems with COX as well, and posted that workaround on the Motorola site.