spc
uniqs
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Best way to add outlets

said by IowaCowboy:

Now that I remember, back in 2008 (when the landlord first bought the building off of the original landlord), I did some electrical work for the landlord in the other unit (replacing a ceiling fan and a basement light fixture) and I did not charge the landlord for labor as I cannot legally charge for electrical work since I am not a licensed electrician (just like you can give your friend/boss/significant other a haircut for free but you have to become a licensed barber/hairdresser to charge money).

Yup, comparing a barber to an electrician. That makes sense.
said by IowaCowboy:

As for electrical work, codes vary, the codes here are rarely enforced (the code enforcement here is almost non-existent with the large number of distressed properties that are structurally unsafe and only the worst of the worst buildings get attention such as buildings infested with rats, illegal rooming houses, buildings lacking heat/water and sewer, and housing five families in a studio apartment, etc). And the code enforcement has been cut back due to budget cuts. My mom works for the city (school system) and she had her hours cut due to budget cuts. Basically to sum it up, the code enforcement here cannot keep up with all the code violations and unsafe housing let alone inspect a new transfer panel installation or a ceiling fan installation.

The landlord's husband (who is a not an electrician) replaced the porch lights. The previous tenants in the other unit replaced the deck light with a security light.

As for the transfer panel, I have a medical condition where a power outage could be life threatening. As for the landlord and reasonable modifications, that is covered by ADA (which allows tenants to make accessibility related modifications to the unit at the tenants expense, however the landlord can require the modifications to be undone upon vacating the premises). The transfer switch was an easy install. I even watched a YouTube video of a 14 year old non-electrician installing the exact same switch.

I'm sorry, but you're delusional.
YOU CANNOT DO ELECTRICAL WORK IN THIS PLACE!!!! PERIOD!!

Mass is one of the most regulated states out there, and for you to be doing work in a rental is anywhere from wrong, to borderline criminal. That goes for her husband too. If this lady is so absentee that you cannot get basic maintenance done then report here to the renters bureau or something. Or better yet, move out.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by Speedy Petey:

Mass is one of the most regulated states out there, and for you to be doing work in a rental is anywhere from wrong, to borderline criminal. That goes for her husband too. If this lady is so absentee that you cannot get basic maintenance done then report here to the renters bureau or something. Or better yet, move out.

What useless advice. The OP clearly said he will NOT be moving out.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

said by Speedy Petey:

Agreed; if I moved out, I'd probably end up in some rodent infested place in a bad neighborhood with higher rents. In the city I live in (Springfield, MA), there is huge problem with absentee landlords. The reason we live here is my mom works for the school district and there is a residency requirement as a term of her employment.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

said by patcat88:

said by Speedy Petey:

Agreed; if I moved out, I'd probably end up in some rodent infested place in a bad neighborhood with higher rents. In the city I live in (Springfield, MA), there is huge problem with absentee landlords. The reason we live here is my mom works for the school district and there is a residency requirement as a term of her employment.

Irrelevant frankly. Do not make any further changes, as regardless of your abilities, unless you hold a Journeyman electricians license or higher for your jurisdiction, you are not qualified to make any changes, especially for an multiple-tenant dwelling. If you continue to make changes you are opening yourself up for not only lawsuits but criminal prosecution as well.
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

What's useless was you idiotic comment. Do you know anything about Mass? I know some, and I know that electrical work is highly regulated and the penalties of ignoring these regulations are steep.
The last sentence of my post was proving a point. If things are that bad you DO have choices.