uniqs
share rss forum feed

matt8911test
Premium
join:2011-11-12
Riverside, CA

U-Verse knocks out DSL service

U-verse reinstall knocks out my DSL service
Hi Guys as the title says I had DSL and new renter/Caretaker had U-verse installed despite my constant objections about changing the telephone/internet service.
The Renter/caretaker we will call her Olive for now(dont know if I should post her real name) says she switched from charter due to the high cost. The new service will be included in her ATT bill which she says will save her money. She is threatening to move out if she can not have service from ATT due to costs.
Me on the other hand am left with no service from Earthlink DSL due to incompatibility problems in the two services. In a few words if U-verse is in the house DSL in non-funtional. I think its due to the new tech that U-Verse is using something called IP over DSL? Summing up for now I have talked to everyone and they have said they cannot help and even the POA of the owner is allowing the switch.

Question: How can I get dedicated service again to my PCs and not some wireless connection to a shared device on U-Verse? Is Dish network an option? How about high priced cable? I am also in the area of the SmartRiverside deployment as well, is that an option (requires a antenna purchase and probly lease)
Are there any other options other than moving (which is out of the question right now)
Frustrated in Riverside

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Call Earthlink back, and have it reinstalled on a new second circuit

U-Verse will not install when 3rd party DSL is present, but once U-Verse is already installed & in place, 3rd party DSL can then be installed on a separate pair to the house

And if your DSL and/or phone service was disconnected without your consent, contact your state Public Utility Commission.

Does the residence have multiple mailing addresses? IE Unit 1, Unit 2; Floor 1, Floor 2; etc? That also helps with keeping the facility records straight, as now the address is listed as multiple living spaces, as opposed to a single living space

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

The OP is in Cali. And in Cali the PUC does not govern residential/business DSL. It is not a communications service, but information. Therefore they and the FCC have no powers over it. You can complain to them all day and still nothing.

But his caretaker of his home should have left the service the way it was. and if he didn't want them ordering U-Verse he should have made something else available, especially if Charterw as not an option due to cost.

And you can get U-Verse if your address has more than one circuit coming in. AT&T would be able to move the line around.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

2 edits

True, the PUC in Cali officially may not regulate DSL. But the OP mentioned changes in the phone service as well -- that the PUC may have a say in

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

The OP is in Cali. And in Cali the PUC does not govern residential/business DSL.

The issue is the loss of telephone service. That definitely is covered by the CalPUC.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

4 edits
reply to ILpt4U

Let me explain a bit further my earthlink was running on the disabled owners line (tele and life line basic service). I thought the POA(Power of Attorney) of the disabled owner would agree on keeping service costs low and I relayed all these concerns to:
1 the caretaker (who wants what she wants regardless)
2 ATT customer service and they said that basically, but not in my words, that the service is going in, why not calm down and be nice. They tried to tell me to be nice and I may get wireless connection to her router (Oh Please). CS also stated that once U-Verse is in the house it prevents DSL from working due to the incompatibilities of the two services. I do remember asking about second line and being told it wont work AFAIK.
3 ATT tech support could only discuss the phone line needs with me. also told me that U-Verse account matters install and configure were not my concern and to but out (not their words).
Also stated that there is incompatibility and that we must choose between the services u-verse or dsl. I choose DSL but no one is listening to me anymore

The house is a single address dwelling with two original bedrooms and two add on bedrooms (if it makes a difference). It only has one mailing address.

As far as loss of telephone service the techs came back the next day and restored telephone service get this to the system (which is now a different technology than POTS which we had) so the telephone does work but on a different system (which prevents DSL from functioning Earthlink even stated that DSL will not work if there is uverse)

I can also call to see if a separate line will work again (separate from U-Verse) but I am not holding my breath.

"The issue is the loss of telephone service. That definitely is covered by the CalPUC."
Actually, The loss of tele was restored the next day so only DSL is missing now. I will get a second opinion on the second phone line as well at this point. but like I said I am not a fan of ATT anymore. I did refuse to allow a tech in the gate on day in my anger now I am sorry I did it but they pushed me over the line. It was like I was there but I wasnt there you know what I mean? People were staring at me but were not hearing OOOOOHHHHH!!!

I think Charter cable will work cuz its a different service am I right??? And what about Dish Network? Probably too expensive. Narrowing down to Cable line at 40.00 a month (plus a 90.00 install fee) or ATT secondline at 5-10 plus earthlink at 30.00 a mo. (and 95.00 install fee)

Edited my figures and it seems like with all costs charter will work and will be 210.00 till december and 480.00 for one year after that. ATT will be 170.00 for rest of this year and 480 for a year approx If I share the router like the POA suggested it will be cheaper like 15.00 per month.

Looks like Cable will be cheaper, but congested at times of high useage. DSL service is usually fast because we are close to the main office. And sharing with the caretaker will be even cheaper at 15.00 per mo.

Sorry about the delay in responding as I tried to hook up to the SmartRiverside free wireless without a proper antenna (Fail).
Matt8911test

mnorris80

join:2011-06-06
Buckner, MO

1) There is a type of U-verse that absolutely will not work with DSL at the same 911 database address.

2) If your address is, for example, 123 Anywhere Street Apartment A, and the other subscriber's address is 123 Anywhere Street Apartment B, then the service conflict boils down to whether each apartment has it's own MPOE interface, or if they all share a single interface.

3) The U-verse ordering tool will not even order U-verse service, if a service conflict exists at the address. AT&T cannot knowingly take one DSL customer (with any carrier) out of service to put another customer into U-verse service. If their install took you out of service, then AT&T should be fixing it. For business accounts, there is a process for doing this. I don't know if it's possible to do for residential accounts.

You'd do well if you went to the AT&T direct forums with this, as there is an entire escalation process within AT&T for U-verse service conflict issues. As another poster mentioned, AT&T will resolve this for you, but you have to know which part of the company to speak with about it.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to matt8911test

said by matt8911test:

Let me explain a bit further my earthlink was running on the disabled owners line (tele and life line basic service). I thought the POA(Power of Attorney) of the disabled owner would agree on keeping service costs low and I relayed all these concerns to:
1 the caretaker (who wants what she wants regardless)

The problem I see here is that your DSL ran on "her" telephone line and she decided to take service elsewhere.. which caused your DSL to be disconnected since it was on the line she converted to UVerse service... I don't think you have much recourse here as long as she has UVerse DSL on that line you can't have Earth link on the SAME line. [The Disabled owners tele / life line basic service line]

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Probably the best recourse would be to order a separate POTS line & get Earthlink line-shared with that new POTS line

That and also the suggestion before to utilize the Direct forum folks here, and perhaps get a secondary address at the residence (ie Apartment/Unit 2, Floor 2, etc), so the AT&T records can show two different living spaces, so this type of issue would not come up again

A 3rd option would be ordering your own separate U-Verse internet service (either VDSL2 or ADSL2+), but for that to work with a U-Verse circuit already present, you would certainly need a secondary living space address at the residence

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA
reply to matt8911test

I think my answer may be in the FAQ that I have been reading at th top of this forum. Also the restrictions to one U-verse account per household and the same restriction may appy to telephone lines.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Op. you will have no problems getting a second line and adding DSL to that. You can get them as cheap as $14/month or so if you don't have any additional service (and metered) to get it cheap as possible. Once the second phone line is up you can add DSL to that and it wont interfere with the uverse service and the order will go through.

I have had DSL and uverse at the same residence before but all the DSL lines had to be canceled and then uverse was able to be brought in and after that happened I could add dsl again on an alternate phone line/pair.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

1 edit
reply to matt8911test

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX QUOTE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Op. you will have no problems getting a second line and adding DSL to that. You can get them as cheap as $14/month or so if you don't have any additional service (and metered) to get it cheap as possible. Once the second phone line is up you can add DSL to that and it wont interfere with the uverse service and the order will go through.
I have had DSL and uverse at the same residence before but all the DSL lines had to be canceled and then uverse was able to be brought in and after that happened I could add dsl again on an alternate phone line/pair.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXQUOTEXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sorry I dont know how to quote in this forum yet.
Here is part of the FAQ for U-Verse .....

Q. Is there a difference from traditional ADSL service?
A. This new platform is IP-based and is being used used in areas primarily where U-Verse has been deployed. This is not to be confused with U-Verse Internet that is offered with U-Verse TV; U-Verse Internet + U-Verse TV is VDSL service and the signal is from a local VRAD.

Q. I do not want U-Verse Internet, I want traditional DSL, how can I do this?
A. At this time, in areas where U-Verse has been deployed, the traditional ADSL equipment is being retired. U-Verse HSI over ADSL2/2+ is meant to replace the traditional ADSL offerings; the services are wholly similar with the exception of how the service is provisioned. U-Verse HSI using ADSL2/2+ is very different from traditional U-Verse Internet; traditional U-Verse Internet uses VDSL and has more stringent distance limitations.

Q. Is this service from the Central Office [CO], a Remote Terminal [RT], a Video Ready Access Device [VRAD]?
A. U-Verse HSI is currently CO based. If your address qualified for TV, Voice, and internet you are out of a VRAD; thus, you would be a traditional U-Verse customer over VDSL and not an IPDSLAM customer over ADSL2/2+.

The answer should be here something about ADSL equipment being retired.

I am connecting on the SmartRiverside Muni Wireless network that is been here in riverside for a while. Just using a USB NIC and a aluminum baking pan I get pretty good reception in the morning. As the day wears on the speeds slows down and by night there is no service, if I do not have a Modem (and antenna?) from USInternet. The modem costs about 130.00 and I am posting to see if there are others that may comment on this service in the wireless section of the forum.
Thanks to all who contributed.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by matt8911test:

The answer should be here something about ADSL equipment being retired.

If any customers are getting ADSL from a CLEC provider, such as Covad, DSLExtreme, or Earthlink, I don't think that they can easily retire that ADSL equipment.

DSLExtreme serves AT&T and Verizon customers outside of California. Check for availability here:

»www.dslextreme.com/

If they offer it in your area, you just need a second line with dial tone.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

matt8911test
Premium
Riverside, CA

1 edit
reply to matt8911test

Attempting to reply on shaky SR muni wireless now
Here is my other post .....»Hi can I get DSL extreme? ADSL2+