uniqs
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

buckweet1980 to McBane

to McBane

Re: Moving.. Dallas/Fort Worth FIOS availability

I have 150meg service in PGH right now, honestly I don't need it. I'll be fine with 75/35.

Who is the cable company in the area? Is it time warner? It would make sense why it hasn't been upgraded to GPON yet.. It seems like the Comcast areas get more attention because of Comcast pushing the speeders higher than FIOS. TW hasn't done that yet, that max they offer to my knowledge is 50Mb.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Yeah cable is TWC for Dallas
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Is real estate taxes around 2.5% everywhere in the DFW metro area??

I know there is no state income tax, but higher taxes on other things. I assume the real estate taxes make up for the difference? Sales tax is around 8% isn't it? 8% isn't too much higher than here in PA.
RonPaul
join:2011-08-03

RonPaul

It's around 8% but some places have lower. Part is set by the state and part is set by the City. There is no tax on food though (groceries, not restaurants).
pappy97
join:2007-03-12
El Paso, TX

pappy97 to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

Is real estate taxes around 2.5% everywhere in the DFW metro area??

I know there is no state income tax, but higher taxes on other things. I assume the real estate taxes make up for the difference? Sales tax is around 8% isn't it? 8% isn't too much higher than here in PA.

You said you are targeting Plano and Murphy, both of which are Collin County, whose taxes are higher than nearby Dallas County or, say, Rockwall County, but good luck trying to find FIOS in those counties.

My house in Wylie has a tax assessed value of $197k or something like that, and this year our property taxes (county, city, etc combined) is still over $5k for the year. My parents in Cali in their home where I grew up has a tax assessed value of over $500k, but they pay thousands less. But then again, they pay high CA state income tax, and their house in a 1970 something 3/2 1800 sq ft, while my house is 2005 6/3.5 (with an additional room for huge HT), 3700 sq ft. I don't blame you for coming to Texas, and if you find Plano/Murphy too expensive, just come down the road to Wylie, which is just East of Murphy. Houses here are cheaper than Murphy.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

1 edit

McBane to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
Yes, Texas makes up a majority of the state income tax with property taxes. That's usually how it ends up in most non-state income tax states. It's great if you rent (But you're still losing that rent money instead of gaining any equity from it), but even owning a house it's still cheaper in the long run from the much lower cost of living in Texas than from living on the east/west coasts.

I live in Murphy and love living here. Murphy is pretty much just an extension of east Plano (Although we do have much larger lots than Plano residents for the same house prices). My biggest gripe about living in Texas is it is the bible belt... You'll be surrounded by a red bible state, but Dallas is probably the most diverse city in the South so that is somewhat buffered here than in most southern cities. My other biggest gripe is Dallas needs a better night life, but I'm into my 30s and raising a family now so it's not like I still have time for that anyway.
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Thanks for the comments guys.. It helps. We definitely want a nicer area and will look at Wylie a bit too.. We just need to get down there and nail down the final area.

We're just excited to not be freezing our asses off during winter. While it does get chili down there, it's not going to be the nastiness like up here. I don't know how people can live further north that even here, lol.. Every year I get older the more I hate it.

We're just excited to be able to have In-N-Out and Grimaldi's Pizza whenever we want!!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

You'll probably be asking yourself how people can deal w/100+ degree temps every day during the summer next year
buckweet1980
Saint Petersburg, FL

buckweet1980

Hehe..yeah there is that opposite extreme.. My brother lives in phoenix and I've been there during the summers several times. We were in Texas in August in both Dallas and Houston. So I'm familiar with the temps.

I can deal with hot more than I can cold
RonPaul
join:2011-08-03

RonPaul

Go here and type in 75040 with 20mi+ radius, you can get a decent idea of the Fios areas. Some areas are not shown though like Flower Mound and Double Oak.

»communities.verizon.com/ ··· osavail/