spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MonkeyLick78

join:2002-01-27
Hixson, TN

These speed results are largely useless considering people are only gonna get what they pay for. Power/speed boost also inflates the results considerably.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

...just like not buying the fastest available tier deflates results considerably.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Or not buying the fastest available service. I know someone who subscribes to 768kbit/s DSL even though 15mbit/s cable is available at her address. She has a grandfathered deal ($20/mo) for the DSL, already does business with Verizon, doesn't do business with Time Warner, and primarily uses her connection for e-mail and staying current on the Facebook shenanigans of her grandchildren.

No real reason for her to change her service, is there? Any other option increases her costs and provides a level of service that's overkill for her needs.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to MonkeyLick78

Everyone is moving away from PB now. Comcast doesn't have a significant level of PB anymore on the high end of their tiers, and TWC doesn't use PB on their D3 tiers, nor does Charter.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

Or not buying the fastest available service. I know someone who subscribes to 768kbit/s DSL even though 15mbit/s cable is available at her address. She has a grandfathered deal ($20/mo) for the DSL, already does business with Verizon, doesn't do business with Time Warner, and primarily uses her connection for e-mail and staying current on the Facebook shenanigans of her grandchildren.

No real reason for her to change her service, is there? Any other option increases her costs and provides a level of service that's overkill for her needs.

You mean granny doesn't want to BitTorrent the latest movies before they are out on VOD on the TV. Someone should tell her to get with the times. (/sarcasm)
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to MonkeyLick78

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but I think the results even out a bit because people often don't get the speed they pay for, they get less than they pay for.

Premium
join:2009-03-01

1 edit

said by jjeffeory:

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but I think the results even out a bit because people often don't get the speed they pay for, they get less than they pay for.

Data behind the statement showing while this is true with some ISPs, there are ISPs giving the speed their customers pay for.

»/r0/download/2···sion.jpg

Verizon has a bit of a split personality, but gets credit for part of their ISP offering.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to Crookshanks

And she is most likely not running speedtests on her connection, correct?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Eh, she's in the database, as is the connection of every friend of mine that I've gotten online.