Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Felt

Re: Might get a cable line dug to house. Anything i should know?

TELUS is doing a pretty heavy FTTH build in/around the Sherwood Park area - all new developments are being wired with fibre, rather then copper... So may be worth a call to them.

Shaw's the cableco.

Assuming you mean Sherwood Park AB...

Felt

join:2012-09-29
Sorry for not being specific but i am indeed talking about Sherwood Park Alberta (i do believe Wildrose wireless only serves rural Alberta for a clue). I emailed Shaw a few days back and expect an answer tommarow (tuesday) but there is a good chance they will reply telling me to call sales or the like. Regardless ill call them wednesday as i will be avaliable to have the place examined later this week.

To reiterate i do not have dsl avaliable as i am too far out, cable is not allready hooked up to the house and allthough i like the fibre idea i dont think there is any other building going on other than a few more houses in the subdivision so there probably isnt anything nearby. Also Grappler why do you suggest i see engineering/building? If i "call before i dig" am i not covered as far as the government is concerned with the cable co handleing the permits?

Well heres hopeing the call is handled as well as rogers seems to and that im not passed around like a beachball between shaws departments.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by Felt:

To reiterate i do not have dsl avaliable as i am too far out, cable is not allready hooked up to the house and allthough i like the fibre idea i dont think there is any other building going on other than a few more houses in the subdivision so there probably isnt anything nearby. Also Grappler why do you suggest i see engineering/building? If i "call before i dig" am i not covered as far as the government is concerned with the cable co handleing the permits?

"Call before you dig" is only cable locate, if that is whom you called. They only do existing installations. In Ontario that is now a separate company; a co-op arrangements so that all locates are done at once (in theory). Indeed, it would be engineering who handle build out.

It's also very complicated, involving legal issues, municipal bylaws, easements, the CRTC and so on. If you don't have existing cable right now, and Shaw isn't planning a build out, you may be out of luck. But see what they say.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.