Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Loud commericals - CRTC useless

So watching Football yesterday, all the promos and commercials on the Canadian substitutions were louder then the game itself.

Considering the rules for stopping this kicked in a month ago, Rogers is simply snubbing their nose at the CRTC.

What can a consumer do? Contact your provider (Rogers) or the broadcaster (Rogers) to rectify the problem.

So what's the bloody point in having a CRTC if they don't want to enforce their own rules.

While on the topic of Football, for those of you that that "Sunday Ticket" or a sports package from your provider. When you are watching a game on a non conventional/speciality channel, does your BDU substitute it with a Canadian feed?

I'm trying to see if Rogers is the only one doing this (since the ones i was watching were bombed by CITY TV and/or Sportsnet), and if substituting a digial feed(Sunday Ticket Football really isn't a broadcaster in the strict sense) with a broadcast feed is within the rules.

The Substitution is horrible, volume is way down (you really have to crank it) Rogers compresses the crap out of those channels, the video breakup is huge.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

henry98

join:2012-06-04
I'm not sure if this is within the jurisdiction of crtc? I would just turn down the volume.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by henry98:

I'm not sure if this is within the jurisdiction of crtc?

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/g3.htm

bt

canada
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

What can a consumer do? Contact your provider (Rogers) or the broadcaster (Rogers) to rectify the problem.

...and then file a complaint with the CRTC if the provider (Rogers) and the broadcaster (Rogers) fail to resolve the issue.

It helps to read past "Step 1".

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

So watching Football yesterday, all the promos and commercials on the Canadian substitutions were louder then the game itself.

Considering the rules for stopping this kicked in a month ago, Rogers is simply snubbing their nose at the CRTC.

So what's the bloody point in having a CRTC if they don't want to enforce their own rules.

While on the topic of Football, for those of you that that "Sunday Ticket" or a sports package from your provider. When you are watching a game on a non conventional/speciality channel, does your BDU substitute it with a Canadian feed?

I'm trying to see if Rogers is the only one doing this (since the ones i was watching were bombed by CITY TV and/or Sportsnet), and if substituting a digial feed(Sunday Ticket Football really isn't a broadcaster in the strict sense) with a broadcast feed is within the rules.

The Substitution is horrible, volume is way down (you really have to crank it) Rogers compresses the crap out of those channels, the video breakup is huge.

Its part of the package when you subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. If a conventional station is showing the game you wish you see, you can either watch it on the conventional station feed, or whatever NFLST channel is listed and watch their feed....that's an NFL rule, designed to protect the revenues of the station who paid for rights to the game in the first place...

...Since NFLST isn't a "channel" as per say, perhaps the rules don't apply to them? I mean outside of Sundays, I don't think those channels are playing anything other than a rolling schedule list, no?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by nitzguy:

said by elwoodblues:

Its part of the package when you subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket. If a conventional station is showing the game you wish you see, you can either watch it on the conventional station feed, or whatever NFLST channel is listed and watch their feed....that's an NFL rule, designed to protect the revenues of the station who paid for rights to the game in the first place...

...Since NFLST isn't a "channel" as per say, perhaps the rules don't apply to them? I mean outside of Sundays, I don't think those channels are playing anything other than a rolling schedule list, no?

Just my thoughts on the matter.

I'm just wondering if the rules allow a broadcaster to bomb those channels
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits
reply to elwoodblues

CBC is an Offender

I only skimmed this thread, but wish to add that our beloved national broadcaster themself - the CBC - is blatantly guilty of ignoring this directive, at least on its streaming website player, at »www.cbc.ca/video

Some ads are way quieter than the shows/newsclips and others are just a-blaring !

Only a few are 'just right', as Goldilocks would say.

Try listening to the various NEWS clips there and you'll quickly see/hear.

I can tell you the names of many of the companies whose ads are being presented too loudly, and one would think that if those companies knew how angry that a network's mishandling of their ads is making consumers, that they would pull their ads, rather than risk that consumers' negative attitudes towards a network would spill over into feeling the same way about the products or services being advertised in an annoyingly loudly presented ad.

It's insane !

The Geezer
Premium
join:2004-12-28
43.3Á
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Loud commericals - CRTC useless

If they would only terminate the contracts of:

1) The little fat bald-headed guy with a voice like a foghorn who does Brick commercials.

2) Whoever does the Princess Margaret and other charity lotteries who also has a foghorn voice.

3) The little guys (mostly with beards) with treble voices who shriek CLR, Shticky and chop-chop commercials.

4) All of the used-car lot commercials.

5) The owner of Oliver Jewellers - and the others like him who really need to take Ritalin before going onscreen.

In fact, please try and convince owners of businesses to not go into the studio to record their own commercials. They are paid to run the business, not to become TV personalities. (Are you listening Mel?)

I wear hearing aids and they need to be adjusted precisely to allow me to hear properly, and when one of these noise boxes comes on, If I don't hit the 'mute' button in time they make my hearing aids rattle and squeak in a very unpleasant way. I consider loud commercials as a form of physical assault perpetrated by the broadcasters and I feel very strongly that they need some form of control. NOW!
--
Rogers (Ericcson) Rocket Hub, Apple Intel iMac, OSX 10.6

bt

canada
reply to Davesnothere

Re: CBC is an Offender

said by Davesnothere:

I only skimmed this thread, but wish to add that our beloved national broadcaster themself - the CBC - is blatantly guilty of ignoring this directive, at least on its streaming website player, at »www.cbc.ca/video

I don't believe the rules apply to online streaming.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by bt:

STUPIDITY at its finest !

In today's high-tech society, they ought to !

But I guess that such an oversight would very well support the title of this thread, then.

bt

canada
I'm not sure what the CRTC could do about it though. Not like websites need to be licensed like TV stations.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by bt:

I'm not sure.....

Yeah - even though it's the same content.

That time will come - I hope I'm still alive by then....

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by bt:

STUPIDITY at its finest !

In today's high-tech society, it ought to !

But I guess that such an oversight would very well support the title of this thread, then.

Internet is not regulated Dave....we can't have our cake and eat it too in this case....aka, you can't ask for selective regulation to apply here and not for it to apply there...

I for one am glad that the CRTC WAY BACK in the Day decided not to regulate internet service...then we'd be just like China and North Korea...imagine Canadian firewalls so you see a different Google?....eesh....

So in this case I'm glad the CRTC butts out, as for the "commercials" during streaming, I have this nice mute on my laptop and since I know when the commercial is going to end, I just pay attention to the timer and then un-mute after the commercial ends...unlike regular TV when you don't quite know when you'll be "back from commercial".

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by nitzguy:

Internet is not regulated, Dave....

I see your points, however, perhaps a better strategy, whether web stream or TV feed, might be for consumers to inform the sponsors of any offensively loudly presented ads that this is happening, and to convince them that what I stated in my 1st post (and reiterated below) is a valid position for their ad reps to adopt, and should be a factor in how/where they spend their ad budgets - again :
quote:
I can tell you the names of many of the companies whose ads are being presented too loudly, and one would think that if those companies knew how angry that a network's mishandling of their ads is making consumers, that they would pull their ads, rather than risk that consumers' negative attitudes towards a network would spill over into feeling the same way about the products or services being advertised in an annoyingly loudly presented ad.

Following the money would in this instance mean that if CBC or whoever did not present the ads in a manner which would positively influence consumers (i.e. at a sensible volume level), that a sponsor might choose to pull their ads and put them on a network who displayed some common sense - never MIND whether or not the CRTC ever takes a position on this issue.

CBC in this instance makes money from playing these ads on the web, and as such should do a better job of it, IMNSHO.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to elwoodblues

You people really need to sort out your priorities in life..

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
You guys think those advertisers don't appreciate their commercials being loud? That's what they are paying for. If you leave the TV during the commercials and they start blasting, you wake the baby, so you have to either mute and hope you get back in time or pay attention to the sales pitch. If the advertisers didn't want it, the commercials would have stayed at the same volume level as the regular programming.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw
Expand your moderator at work

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to elwoodblues

Most of the ads are supplied by the clients, and they are purposely compressed (audio wise) to ensure they are loud and clear at a lower volume. This means, the soft/quiet sounds are the same levels as the loud sounds. Shows tend to leave things to breathe, letting quiet sounds and loud sounds be quiet different. This also keeps sound quality.

I for one find it funny that so many people are soo worked up over this. Canada is one of the only countries in the world that has felt the need to play BIG BROTHER and put in rules on this. There is soo many better things the government could waste our money on than this.

Online audio is not part of this, nor should it be. An idea.. You have a volume control.. USE IT! Don't like it, TURN IT OFF, or TURN THE CHANNEL!

Radio compresses the snot out of what they spit out of their studios before it's transmitted.. Compare it to a CD.. you quickly notice what damage this does. Without the same compression on TV, and huge loss in sound quality, it's going to be impossible for any broadcaster to level out all the sounds. It will sound awful once wind noise and crickets are as loud as a jet engine. It would be a better idea to have the compression installed on your own TV so not everyone has to suffer with your idea of good sound.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to henry98
said by henry98:

I'm not sure if this is within the jurisdiction of crtc? I would just turn down the volume.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

GeoStar

join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5
said by henry98:I'm not sure if this is within the jurisdiction of crtc? I would just turn down the volume.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

almost sounds like someones paid to say this?

look how much money would be saved in not transmitting louder commercials and there would be more power less polution and a greener cleaner universe ....

mt99808

join:2008-11-05
Chatham, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I'm usually watching Sunday ticket each Sunday and always come up to make something to eat at halftime. Without fail that stupid Thursday night football commercial is at least double the volume of the regular broadcast and rocks my house during the middle of my 1 year old's nap.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
What really drives us nuts is the bilboard "You are watching Sunday Ticket' at quadruple the volume

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to elwoodblues
-

GeoStar

join:2011-02-10
j2e6f5
ok CRTC final word on SUBJECT

CRTC to allow broadcasters to extra bill consumers for louder commercials

w w that helped ?

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac
reply to elwoodblues
ok just got blasted by a commercial.

bedroom tv, sure it was loud, but the excessive WHITE BACKGROUND WOKE ME UP!!!!

sure they're not allowed to blast volume at us, or what is considered maximum gain or what not.

new strategy, blast our new fancy tvs with blinding white light?

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues
I thought most TV's these days came with a feature that lets you stabilize the audio, that would keep everything at a steady volume level.

I remember watching the move 'Fear' on CityTV years ago, back when they still played movies mind you, and it was impossible to do so. The movie itself was at such a low volume that I'd have to turn it up to max just to hear it. But of course, the ads were played at a normal volume. I got through two commerciial breaks before I said screw it, and turned it off.
Expand your moderator at work

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to elwoodblues

Do this: Call the company that the ad is about, and tell them exactly why you will never purchase their product or service. Make sure it is clear that it is because of bad practices on behalf of the broadcaster and/or advertiser.

If you call enough product companies they *might* catch on that their ads are cutting into their sales.