HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Mykie1988

Re: Best way to clean gutters?

I have a 10-foot section of 2-inch PVC, 2 DWV long-sweep 90-degree elbows and a 2-inch coupler. The 90's go at the top end, to form a 180. The coupler goes at the bottom end and the hose on my shop vac fits into it perfectly. I use a bit of duct tape to hold the hose and fittings in place. Now I can safely walk along the ground while cleaning the stuff out of the gutters.

A thinner, lighter 2-inch plastic tube would be even better, to reduce the weight.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Mykie1988

My gutters have the screen on them, installed by the previous owners.

So far I haven't been up there yet, but I will this fall just to take a closer look. From my bedroom window I can see the gutters from the floor below and there's just a little bit of junk here and there, but ya, it tends to blow away as it is on the surface.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Mykie1988

My method? I let the landscaper do it. He charges me $50 and does a better job than I would.

No ladders, no mess, and buys me back an afternoon. Worth the $50 to me!

nonameyet
I Make Them Ring..Ring
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Sellersville, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mykie1988

I would go with the Home Depot ones, but, Not the screen ones, but, the Solid ones, I had the screens on, but, in my area, those helicopter seed pods from the maple trees were totally clogging up the screens, perfect shape for holding the seed at the right angle and then after they got nice and soggy would drop right into the gutter and about 3 or 4 weeks, I'd have maple saplings growing back Up those little holes , I just replaced them all with the solid ones, screwed them on, so far ( about 2 months ) it's all been good.

Mont

join:2006-05-02
Saint-Leonard, QC

2 edits

Galvanized mesh can be used too , it's a bit more work but it does the job and you don't have to worry about ice.

Expand your moderator at work

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to nonameyet

said by nonameyet:

I would go with the Home Depot ones, but, Not the screen ones, but, the Solid ones, I had the screens on, but, in my area, those helicopter seed pods from the maple trees were totally clogging up the screens, perfect shape for holding the seed at the right angle and then after they got nice and soggy would drop right into the gutter and about 3 or 4 weeks, I'd have maple saplings growing back Up those little holes , I just replaced them all with the solid ones, screwed them on, so far ( about 2 months ) it's all been good.

The screen ones I got from Home Depot have a really fine mesh that won't admit maple seeds (and I have a honkin' big maple in my front yard that tests that every spring). It even keeps out the finer seeds from my birch, which partly overhangs my second floor roof.

I did see some "screens" with sort of a diamond mesh shape, pretty open (the slots were maybe 1/4" wide at their widest). I passed on those, even though they were all metal. It sounds like that may be the type that admits the maple seeds.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mykie1988

Single story... no big deal. Two-story... very, very carefully! I would definitely invest in some kind of "gutter guard" to, at least, keep the bigger debris from collecting in the gutters. I have one of those "micro-screen" (Leaf Filter) gutter guards installed on mine. They wont even allow shingle grit to get in. The problem, though, that I've experienced is that some debris still collects on top of the screen, and if it dries there, it tends to block the water from falling into the gutter. I have to take a stiff broom and, periodically, sweep them clean. It doesn't take a lot of effort, but I'm not particularly fond of heights. I may remove the system and just pay some "handyman" sevice to clean the gutters once a year. I suppose I could just drag the hose up there, thereby keeping me away from the edge, but I've hesitated to do that so far... wet roof = slippery roof and I'm not comfortable with that situation either. My eaves are 18' off the ground... and I ain't gettin' any younger!
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas
reply to Mykie1988

Mykie there is no "best way"--there are too many factors which may/may not apply to you.

We have Gutter Helmet on some of our gutters, and after almost 10 years it still works great for us w/no maintenance. Very expensive, but we may yet put it on our other gutters.

For those "other gutters" I have a monster Shop Vac with a curved 2" gutter attachment and extension tubes (Sears). Works real well, but hauling the shopvac around, with extension cords, is a PIA.

Some solutions involve water, which doesn't work for us (we COLLECT rainwater and need to filter leaves and save every drop). I have simple screens on the non-Gutter Helmet gutters but these quickly clog.

I'd recommend Gutter Helmet for the 25' high gutters at least, and everywhere if you can afford it. As I said we collect rainwater here in TX (our sole source of domestic water) and the GH works even in our rare gully-washing heavy rainfalls to get the water into the gutter w/o the debris from our metal roofs.

For gutters you have ready access to, you can save the GH cost and use a large Shopvac. I do this ahead of significant rainfall events, which (unfortunately) are becoming more & more rare here.

RoseWater

join:2012-10-03
Joplin, MO
reply to Mykie1988

I use a ladder and place it against the house. It is always nice to have someone holding the ladder, too. If the gutters are dry it is much easier to remove debris. Then, flushing the gutters out can be done more easily I think. If there is a lot of gunk in the gutters which are open and accessible - I take a small hand broom and "scrub" them out a bit.

leegmoser

join:2012-10-03
reply to Mykie1988

It is suggested that you clean the gutters out in the spring time or beginning of summer time and after the fall. Keeping the rain gutters on your home fresh is very important. Gutters keep water from damaging your home and resulting in pattern to develop. The best way to prevent this is with gutter cover installation.

richimmi

join:2012-10-20
reply to HarryH3

Gutters that are not cleaned on a regular basis are prone to biological growth such as molds which can be very dangerous to you and your family. An improperly working gutter system can hold water where mosquitos will bread which can both be annoying and be a source for disease such as West Nile. If you gutters are not draining water it is vital to clean and/or repair them. In some instances new gutters will be needed.

echo
RIP DINGO
Premium
join:2012-02-07
reply to Mykie1988

A kitchen spatula the right size takes care of the wet stuff. A leaf blower if the gutters are dry makes short work as well.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Mykie1988

I have a guy that charges 50 bucks to do it. It takes him 30 minutes.

I refuse to climb on my 2 story roof [I hate heights], so I feel the 50 is worth it.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Mykie1988

I use a 2,5" or 3" flexible putty knife and a nice step stool.

Great for a 1 story house.