Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bennyb

@teksavvy.com

Newsgroups being throttled?

Hi Guys - quick question. Just got TekSavvy Cable 28Mbps this morning.

Doing speedtest.net, it's giving me 40Mbps down.

When I download a file using sabnzbd, it's maxing out at 800KBs.

Does anyone have any idea?

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
The actual connection is completely content-neutral...no throttling of any kind. Of course, weird things can happen.

Did you use the same newsgroup server before switching to TekSavvy? If so, were your downloads faster then?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to bennyb
Does your usenet provider allow the choosing of different routing? I know that UseNetServer allows that, sometimes different routes can produce different performance..

Also, how many connections do you have set up in your SabNZBd, and how many does your usenet provider allow? You should set them up to the maximum allowed by your provider.

bennyb

@teksavvy.com
Ah, that did it. Thanks HiVolt. Max connections was set to 4.. changed it to 10 and Im getting 2.4MB/s now. The world is a better place now.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by bennyb :

Ah, that did it. Thanks HiVolt. Max connections was set to 4.. changed it to 10 and Im getting 2.4MB/s now. The world is a better place now.

No problem. You should be getting about 3.4-3.5MB/sec on 28mbps cable if there are no bottlenecks anywhere. Its best to max out your number of connections whenever possible.

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to bennyb
I echo what has been said thus far. I was surprised to find slow downs with my newsgroups as well when I upgraded from 6 Mbps DSL to the 28 of cable.

I found 2 bottlenecks that were causing problems for me.

1. My router was old and couldn't handle speeds above 20 Mbps if sustained for any length of time.
Not as likely in your case as your speed test is ok but do try a direct connection to your computer by passing the router (may require a power cycle of the modem as the cable modem likes to attach itself to 1 MAC address). This could help rule out QOS or other router issues.

2. After a short time, even when maxing out connections and connecting to multiple servers at the same time the speed would fluctuate and settle in around 2.5 Mbps. Playing around with the Article Cache Limit seemed to fix the problem. Apparently setting this as high as your computer can handle is idea. I found 256 MB good and 512 MB fixed the problem.

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
Where do I find this 'Article Cache Limit'?

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Off the top of my head...

Config > general > near the bottom.

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
said by graniterock:

Off the top of my head...
Config > general > near the bottom.

Ah! My mistake. I don't use sabnzbd. I thought it was a router or operating system setting.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to graniterock
said by graniterock:

2. After a short time, even when maxing out connections and connecting to multiple servers at the same time the speed would fluctuate and settle in around 2.5 Mbps. Playing around with the Article Cache Limit seemed to fix the problem. Apparently setting this as high as your computer can handle is idea. I found 256 MB good and 512 MB fixed the problem.

Hmm, I never had that set in my sabnzb... and I've hit 8.5MB/sec with my Cable & DSL combined in sab, and it doesnt slow down one bit.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
It could be more of an issue for older computers or computers with performance problems (true in my case). I got the suggestion from the sabnzb forums. The results were instant and replicatable.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by graniterock:

It could be more of an issue for older computers or computers with performance problems (true in my case). I got the suggestion from the sabnzb forums. The results were instant and replicatable.

Ah, that's possible. My server is an intel quad core with a 250MB/sec RAID5, so i guess thats why I never had an issue at high speeds.

graniterock
Premium
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
1.14 GHz single core, 1.25 GB RAM of questionable quality, sata drive using a PCI controller and windows XP LOL.

There was a time when this computer was pretty good. Now it spends it's retirement years heading in the basement as a media sever. But it definitely amplifies performance issues any software has.

kablamo

join:2012-10-03
reply to bennyb
I'm having similar problems but it has nothing to do with the number of connections. I'm also on the 28mbs down and when I speed test I get around 32mbs. I use Alt Binz and my provider is Usenetserver. Sometimes I will download as fast as 3.2-3.5Mb/s. But it's usually 50/50 between 1.4Mb/s or 2.8Mb/s. And it's completely random, I don't know what the problem could be. My friend on Rogers shares the server with me and has never experienced a decrease in speed. I've tried using sabnzb (which I don't like) and newsleecher with the same result. My friend and I have tested connecting at the same time and it makes no difference to his speeds. So clearly there is something wrong on my end and I can't seem to figure it out.