join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to 67845017

MVM

to 67845017

Re: [iPhone] Analysis - the IP5 "problems"

said by 67845017:

said by skeechan:

Perhaps google wasn't willing to license it, at least under favorable terms.

There was still a year left on the contract.

perhaps it was due to the fact that google has left the IOS version basically unchanged while upgrading the Andriod version....

Think about it people...

I for one never thought Google Maps (on IOS) was that good either.....

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

said by dellsweig:

said by 67845017:

said by skeechan:

Perhaps google wasn't willing to license it, at least under favorable terms.

There was still a year left on the contract.

perhaps it was due to the fact that google has left the IOS version basically unchanged while upgrading the Andriod version....

Think about it people...

I for one never thought Google Maps (on IOS) was that good either.....

Google Maps on Android kinda sucks, too. It's great for planning trips and finding points of interest, but the turn by turn is a disastor either in cities with dense streets or where you miss a turn in dead zones(offline only works for the map, bit still can't navigate outside of the initially cached directions without internet). I use 2 apps I prefer: Navfree USA, which provides solid navigation, even in dead zones, as the maps are prefetched and the app itself does the Navigation. Outside of rural areas and dead zones, I use Waze. It's well suited to cities by providing razor sharp navigation with excellent traffic routing and even police/construction warning. All too often, Google maps has slammed me straight into traffic jams, despite a shiny green light. 5 minutes into it, oh now it turns red! So, for Android, Waze for the city and Navfree for rural(lacks traffic and gas features but Navigates in dead zones superbly). I hear Apple Maps is working well around here and I like the graphics I have seen, which is more than I can say for Google Maps. Best of luck with that for ip5 users. The more decent free Navigation apps we have to choose from, the better for all(including Android users). Competition fosters innovation and keeps prices down, so people don't have to pay for their carrier's navigator or another pricey program