join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to chrisretusn

Re: Canada and the US Government hacked by China

said by chrisretusn:

I don't buy it.

Well China owns a large part of the US plus it wouldn't surprise me to find that much of the gear in the WH was manufactured in China.

I'm not so quick to dismiss the story.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
I am not dismissing the story. I don't buy the part in the quote to whit:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached. Perhaps a secretaries computer in a related office might have been breached. I say this because such systems are normally "air-gapped" or isolated from other lower classed systems. I also do not place much credence on "according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident." To me it nothing but sensationalism, to get you to read more, especially since that is the article lead in first paragraph.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
said by chrisretusn:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.

social engineering can close any gap.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
said by AVD:

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

social engineering can close any gap.

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by KodiacZiller:

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.

wrong.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--