share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to sd2hd

Re: Comcast Voice self-install

Before I answer your questions, let me get this important message out first.

Make sure you do NOT do anything with Verizon until you know that the number port has been completed, and your service is working. If you call Verizon and cancel to soon, Comcast may not be able to port the number, as it would go back into the pool of available numbers on Verizon's side.

Back in May of this year, I added Comcast Digital Voice to our services (we already had Cable TV and Internet). Went down to the local office to add this, and they gave me the self-install kit.

I came home, disconnected my current modem (which, I was renting), and went through the process to activate my new modem. Since we still had our AT&T service, that went fine without any problems ( I called instead of using the web page / walled garden). I then returned my rented modem and all was well.

Once your number has been ported over (can take up to 4 business days), your existing Verizon lines in the house will stop working. You will then have to call Comcast back on a different line (Cell Phone perhaps) and have them activate the phone service part.

Once that is done, you should be all set.

Now, as far as hooking up your existing phone lines in your house to the new modem, there are many ways to do that.

In my case, we only have 2 phones in the house..one in our living room, and the other in a bedroom. We only had one physical phone jack in the house (living room). We placed one of those splitters at that jack, and one line ran to the phone in the living room, and a second longer line ran around the room and down a hall to the bedroom that had the 2nd phone. So, since the cable modem was in another bedroom, we ran a short line from the cable modem to the bedroom, and used the existing longer line to go from the cable modem to the living room (moved the splitter to the back of the cable modem to do this). In effect, this removed the phone jack in the living room from being used, which for us, was fine.

I know there is a way to hook your new modem directly into the existing phone lines in your house. However, I am not sure how one would do that, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

sd2hd

join:2007-11-20
Cape May, NJ

OK, so I need to wait until Verizon cuts off the existing service before activating the comcast service. I wonder if that porting process doesn't start until I activate the new modem. I should probably clarify that with Comcast.

SterlingJ85

join:2000-11-19
Voorhees, NJ

NO! DO NOT CANCEL your Verizon service until AFTER Comcast has transferred the number. If you only have phone service, and no other services with Verizon, your account will cancel automatically when Comcast takes the number.

If you cancel Verizon, before Comcast transfers your number you will lose your number.
--
-Sterling

sd2hd

join:2007-11-20
Cape May, NJ

right, I get that part. They currently have phone and DSL with Verizon. Will be dumping both of those once Comcast is fully up. They won't try to cancel verizon until all is working with Comcast.
My question is how/when does the number porting process start? I figured it could be when the order is placed with comcast, or it could start once you set up the EMTA and activate it, or it could be started with a call to Comcast once the self service kit arrives.

SterlingJ85

join:2000-11-19
Voorhees, NJ

When you order with Comcast, let them know you want to port your existing number. They will coordinate a date with Verizon to transfer the number. I would recommend the a couple of days after the number ports, call Verizon and cancel DSL/all other remaining services.

You can also port the number AFTER you establish service with Comcast, but they will assign a new number initially that will be replaced with the ported number. If you do it this way, keep in mind it takes a week, to 10 days on average to complete a port request.
--
-Sterling