spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tonyram57

join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

[TW] Will EarthLink cable customers have to pay a modem rental?

Starting on October 15th TWC in my area will charge a $2.50 modem rental fee. Will EL customers who use TWC have to pay the fee?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

Re: [TW] Will EarthLink cable customers have to pay a modem rent

I never have, but I'm also not in NY.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

1 recommendation

reply to tonyram57
Isn't it $3.95? I don't know either, but it would be surprising if we don't.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57
I still bought my own modem from the approved list the 5101U but TWC is giving me a real hassle activating it. I am still using there 425 modem. They said that it can take a couple of days to add it to there system and they will call me when they can activate it. This is after being transferred from so many departments and most of the time I get disconnected.

Has anyone EL customers have trouble activating your own modem?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Bullshit. It takes SECONDS. If it took "days" then even their own modems would take eons to be functional, yet their monkey can grab a random modem from his truck, make one phone call, and have you online in minutes.

File complaints with the BBB (powerless, but TWC does watch those), local utility commission/franchise authority, AND the FCC. And the FTC and local news channels if they'll listen.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
reply to tonyram57
Your wrong. Any modem they have are already in there system but with a modem you buy they have to put it in there system. Just called them now and my purchased modem is still not in the system it will take up to 72 hours.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to tonyram57
I remember some time way back, Roadrunner charged a modem rental fee and Earthlink (over TWC) did not. So I am hoping we wont get hit with it.

CMTS

@inet.fi
reply to tonyram57
They have to login to their CMTS, enter mac address and its there! Like you typing www.google.com and pressing enter. Takes seconds only!

guy44

@mindspring.com
FWIW, I just bought a Motorola SB6141 and it was easy to switch. Actually, the hardest part was getting to the right person through the phone menus. When I got the right person he just wanted my MAC address on the new modem. It took about 60 seconds to verify that it worked on their end and my end.

I don't know if TWC will charge for cable modem, but as I constantly move back and forth between TWC and EL to get the "special" I wanted to get the modem before the fee goes national.

DFC

join:2011-11-08
Staten Island, NY
reply to tonyram57
I'm an Earthlink via TW cable customer. As of my 11/2012 TWC bill, there is no modem fee from Time Warner. I haven't received any email or postcard from either TWC or Earthlink about a modem fee either.

aw3dhg

join:2001-09-05
Bloomingburg, NY
reply to tonyram57
So far here in 12721 NY on EL via TWC no charge or notice for the modem.. I did see a small (-14$) adjustment to my bill for an outage.
--

Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ
reply to tonyram57
said by tonyram57:

Your wrong. Any modem they have are already in there system but with a modem you buy they have to put it in there system. Just called them now and my purchased modem is still not in the system it will take up to 72 hours.

I be very suprised if it took 72 hours, but it does say up to. Generally provisioning a modem is instantaneous on the ISP side once the online light is solid.

tonyram57

Brooklyn, NY
said by Couriant:

said by tonyram57:

I be very suprised if it took 72 hours, but it does say up to. Generally provisioning a modem is instantaneous on the ISP side once the online light is solid.

It is because there modems that have the mac addresses already in their system so all they have to do is just activate one for your account. Modems you purchase on your own are not in there system. Still having to wait up to 72 hours is pathetic especially if you need to get online and other ISP's provision your modems in much shorter time.

Couriant

join:2012-10-29
Peoria, AZ
Very strange, I guess it's how DSL operates then. For us (cable), as long as we see the modem online the change is instantaneous. I agree though, should be no more than 24 hours.