camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Comcast, TiVo Blaze Different Set-Top Paths

"TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO) could eventually exit the set-top hardware business if it's successful with a new distribution strategy.

The idea is that TiVo would port its user interface and services to a range of hybrid QAM/IP video gateways and IP-only clients that are leased by cable operators and other pay-TV providers.

TiVo's approach, which differs from one being developed by Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) for MSO-leased devices, centers on its Hardware Porting Kit (HPK), a porting and middleware layer that has already been licensed by several top set-top makers, including Pace plc , Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO), Samsung Corp. and Technicolor SA (Euronext Paris: TCH; NYSE: TCH). Still notably absent from this group is Google (Nasdaq: GOOG)-owned Motorola Mobility, which remains the largest U.S. supplier of set-top boxes. (See Comcast's Set-Top Accelerator Gains Traction , Operators Flock to Comcast's IP Set-Top Kit and Comcast's IP Set-Top Club Expands.)

TiVo's HPK is already central to several recent deployments with service providers. Some recent examples include U.K.-based operator Virgin Media Inc. (Nasdaq: VMED), which is running TiVo on Samsung and Cisco boxes, while Spain's ONO relies on TiVo-powered Cisco boxes. In the U.S., DirecTV Group Inc. (NYSE: DTV)'s new TiVo implementation is the result of the HPK. More recently, Mediacom Communications Corp. said it intends to market the XG1, a Pace-made gateway that bakes in TiVo's software and also sports six tuners and a Docsis 3.0 modem. (See Mediacom Goes With TiVo .) ..."

the full article is at:
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=225431

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

4 edits
said by camper:

TiVo's HPK is already central to several recent deployments with service providers. Some recent examples include U.K.-based operator Virgin Media Inc., which is running TiVo on Samsung and Cisco boxes, while Spain's ONO relies on TiVo-powered Cisco boxes. In the U.S., DirecTV Group Inc.'s new TiVo implementation is the result of the HPK. More recently, Mediacom Communications Corp. said it intends to market the XG1, a Pace-made gateway that bakes in TiVo's software and also sports six tuners and a Docsis 3.0 modem. (See Mediacom Goes With TiVo .) ..."

the full article is at:
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=225431

I think the Pace XG1 box (»www.pace.com/universal/news-even···gateway/) is basically the same as Comcast's (Pace-made) X1 box, but it can be set to run the TiVo interface instead of the Comcast X1 guide/interface.

EDIT: The XG1 box definitely looks the same as the X1: »broadbandgear.net/wp-content/upl···_XG1.jpg

EDIT2: It appears one difference is that Comcast's X1 box is built around an Intel chipset (»www.lightreading.com/document.as···d=221162), while the XG1 uses the Broadcom BCM7425 chipset (»www.multichannel.com/content/cab···-gateway).

Also see my post/comments in this thread: »[TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
So wait if the Comcast X1 really is related to the XG1 that means it also has 6 tuners? You mean they only have 3 enabled now simply because they don't want to? I thought the Comcast model had 4 tuner capabilities but currently only 3 are enabled. Which is also pretty annoying, but less egregious than literally halving the tuner count (from 6 to 3).

The X1 being Intel seems like something Comcast committed to a year or two ago and are now regretting it. All the information about the Comcast RDK (reference platform) talk about Broadcom SoC's and ARM CPUs in general. So I would imagine the XG1 is a newer design. I hope Comcast moves to that design over the Intel SoC since the current X1 seems to have a lot of problems.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by SpHeRe31459:

So wait if the Comcast X1 really is related to the XG1 that means it also has 6 tuners? You mean they only have 3 enabled now simply because they don't want to? I thought the Comcast model had 4 tuner capabilities but currently only 3 are enabled. Which is also pretty annoying, but less egregious than literally halving the tuner count (from 6 to 3).

Yes, the X1 box is equipped with 6 tuners, but Comcast is (currently) only enabling 3 of them: »Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
My guess is that more tuners will be enabled when Comcast offers the XG1 box as an AnyRoom DVR.