spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Body of BC man missing in Nevada has been found

The body of Albert Chretien, who disappeared while travelling in Nevada with his wife last spring, has finally been found...

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/b ··· und.html

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I remember that story. Sad. At least the family can have some closure now.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I do remember this story. It must have been such a tough call to leave his wife and go for help with so little hope of getting anywhere.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Very sad but I am glad that the family has closure.
henry98
join:2012-06-04

henry98 to vue666

to vue666
a tragic story. RIP...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Glad you posted it, there was no way that would have made the front news on any website and I would have missed it.

Robert4
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
St John'S, NL

Robert4

Premium Member

said by Anav:

Glad you posted it, there was no way that would have made the front news on any website and I would have missed it.

Not sure if serious or sarcastic...
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

No word yet on cause of his death....

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

1 edit

Anav to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I was hoping we would find out and I know this is the one place to get the answer.. I want to ensure I have the right survival gear on my next long winter drive.
(Closure for the loved ones is now possible.)

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Considering the relatively short distance his remains had been found from the van (11km) and the weather conditions it’s safe to say exposure was the leading factor in his demise.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to vue666

to vue666
Man oh man....they sure got caught in the middle of nowhere.
I was looking at Google Terrain....they were equal distance from 2 main roads.

FaxCap

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
Couldve been coyotes or sasquatch or hypothermia probably preceded by exhaustion and falling asleep not to wake up (as opposed to flashing as you implied).
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
God bless this man and his family.

--------------------------

I just [am] surprised that anyone living in western Canada as he did would not understand the importance of staying on major numbered highways while in a mountain or forest area, in the midst of winter....
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by PX Eliezer704:

I just [am] surprised that anyone living in western Canada as he did would not understand the importance of staying on major numbered highways while in a mountain or forest area, in the midst of winter....

He was following his GPS and as Gone pointed out if he didn't get lost would of ended up in a swamp or river eventually.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

has this issue with GPS been resolved, what's the good of it then if it leads to unknown end?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Tragic story. And to think this was even before Apple Maps...

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
Say what you will, flawed though they may sometimes be, I still prefer my TripTiks from CAA.

When cutting across states it can be way out of your way to take major highways, but in this case it appears unfortunate that a paper map might have avoided the problem. Technology can be helpful, but following it blindly can be a bad thing as more than one traveller has found.
jaberi

jaberi

said by A Lurker:

Say what you will, flawed though they may sometimes be, I still prefer my TripTiks from CAA.

When cutting across states it can be way out of your way to take major highways, but in this case it appears unfortunate that a paper map might have avoided the problem. Technology can be helpful, but following it blindly can be a bad thing as more than one traveller has found.

amen!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to creed3020

Premium Member

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

I do remember this story. It must have been such a tough call to leave his wife and go for help with so little hope of getting anywhere.

I think they would have been better off if they went together... and went the wife's way!

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
said by jaberi:

has this issue with GPS been resolved, what's the good of it then if it leads to unknown end?

A GPS is never a replacement for a proper paper map. It's an excellent companion, but to base a long trip on just a GPS without knowing what the detailed look of that trip looks like, well it's just a bad idea.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by shaner:

said by jaberi:

A GPS is never a replacement for a proper paper map. It's an excellent companion, but to base a long trip on just a GPS without knowing what the detailed look of that trip looks like, well it's just a bad idea.

Alternatively, using a GPS for major trips can work just fine if you don't act like the blind following the blind. I've used mine to route me from here to Texas, from Idaho to San Diego, from Fargo to Windsor, throughout Ontario and Quebec, around Hawaii, and through many a small town in New England, with nary a paper map to be seen.

However I don't always do what the thing tells me to. If I'm on a major freeway in Nevada and I'm heading to a large city in Utah, and it says "turn off the freeway here" I just ignore it and keep going until it comes up with a route that keeps me on the major highway. I know all major cities in the US are connected by freeways (or at very worse major US highways), with no need to take any county roads, municipal roads, dirt roads, or anything else... and any time it tells me to I just keep going and let it find a new route. It always does - and so far I haven't ended up in any farmers fields, swamps, boat launch ramps, parking lots, or snow filled canyons. I always assume it knows the "best way to get there on paper not reality" - and that I can see reality far better than it can - so with a little help and guidance, both it and I can work together to find a way to get where we are going safely. Maybe not the absolute most efficient route - but it'll get me there.

For example, going to the long term Viscount parking lot at YYZ coming from the east, it wants me to take 409, then some weird side streets, a loop around a garage, and then into the parking lot. I know that Dixon Rd works a lot better - so I ignore the instructions until I get on Dixon Rd - then let it take me where I'm going (Which if I remember is Bresler to Campus to the parking garage) whereas the crappy 409 directions take me to Airport Rd, up to Orlando Drive, back down Viscount or something stupid like that... Why? Who knows - maybe all the roads and ramps and streets weren't finished yet then (and god forbid I try to figure them out now!!)... that's just a clusterf**k of highways and interchanges anyway. But I just tend to do what "makes sense to me" then let the GPS fill in the details.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by creed3020:

I think they would have been better off if they went together... and went the wife's way!

I was thinking the opposite, the fact that she ate the remaining supplies, means maybe there was only enough for one to survive.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Hydraglass

Premium Member

to Hydraglass
said by Hydraglass:

For example, going to the long term Viscount parking lot at YYZ coming from the east, it wants me to take 409, then some weird side streets, a loop around a garage, and then into the parking lot. I know that Dixon Rd works a lot better - so I ignore the instructions until I get on Dixon Rd - then let it take me where I'm going (Which if I remember is Bresler to Campus to the parking garage) whereas the crappy 409 directions take me to Airport Rd, up to Orlando Drive, back down Viscount or something stupid like that... Why? Who knows - maybe all the roads and ramps and streets weren't finished yet then (and god forbid I try to figure them out now!!)... that's just a clusterf**k of highways and interchanges anyway. But I just tend to do what "makes sense to me" then let the GPS fill in the details.

It might be on to something, from the 409 you just exit at Viscount Dr. and then it's a right turn into the parking garage

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by corster:

said by Hydraglass:

It might be on to something, from the 409 you just exit at Viscount Dr. and then it's a right turn into the parking garage

Have you ever tried to get in the lane on 409 you need to be in to make that exit without having something helping you find it? I know it's doable - but that's not the way the gps actually wanted me to go - it wanted me to stay on 409 until airport road. Had it known how to get me into the proper exit lane for Viscount Rd - I might take it -- but I only do that drive once a year and it seems those roads, ramps, and signs change quite often in there (maybe they have finally settled a little on the construction now?). I'm good with Dixon - I know it - it's quick, direct, and familiar -- and once I'm on it, the gps is golden!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

(as opposed to flashing as you implied).

You must be in a gay mood; no, I stated that he was under dressed (not undressed) for the weather.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I find it appalling some of you find such levity and humour in the loss of a human life... I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a family member was visiting this forum...

Sorry there is nothing funny about this tragedy....

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by vue666:

I find it appalling some of you find such levity and humour in the loss of a human life... I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a family member was visiting this forum...

Sorry there is nothing funny about this tragedy....

Ahhhh then you missed the purpose of this thread which was clearly indicated in your opening post........ or was it.????

Well okay, there was none, so one could infer that the OP was trolling for news stories they could post at CANCHAT (perhaps there is some reward at DSL reports for being the first one to post front news CBC posts before others??) and the OP chose this very sad story to take advantage of - which I find despicable.

Now, the OP has posted again, to state nothing about the topic other to acknowledge finally something, ie that it was a tragedy, ......... whereas many members of this thread have been empathetic with the family, imagined how hard it would have been to separate, wondering how it happened and the pitfalls of devices they were relying such as GPS.

Oops, I do see you posted on the topic and your opinion and input was........drum roll please...... wait for it............ cause of death unknown. Glad you filled that in, as I would not have guessed and of course am unable to click on links to read myself.

In real life you must not have been to many funerals, one often laughs and cries although tears are in the majority.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Or perhaps it is because we've had a thread or two at Canchat about this news story...

Rather then re-opening an old thread I started a new one...

»Missing BC woman found alive after seven weeks

»in GPS we trust

Secondly you are not a mod at Canchat and it is not your say what I or anyone posts... If the mods have a problem they will take action...

PS: there is a joke thread (which I started) here. Perhaps you can post any "funny stuff" you have in this thread....

»Today's Funnies & Jokes

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

said by vue666:

Or perhaps it is because we've had a thread or two at Canchat about this news story...

Rather then re-opening an old thread I started a new one...

»Missing BC woman found alive after seven weeks

»in GPS we trust

Secondly you are not a mod at Canchat and it is not your say what I or anyone posts... If the mods have a problem they will take action...

That explains it, I was wondering why the "Remove this Thread" button was not working. Im all for your thoughts and opinions keep em coming.
jaberi

jaberi to Hydraglass

to Hydraglass
thanks for elaborating and that is great for some, but not for others like me who would depend on this device and believe that it is the only way.