uniqs

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

[iPhone] my ios6 maps experience

New Maps working great here, and a welcome improvement over the Google powered Maps in iOS 5.

The turn-by-turn navigation is actually better than my paid Navigon app which I've been using for about 2 years. No issues with the data, it finds everything I've thrown at it since iOS6 was launched. Love the Yelp integration.

My wife, lacking in any technology sophistication, wonders what the fuss is all about. She likes it too. Now if we lived somewhere without good underlying data she would feel otherwise... but around these parts the new Map app is noticeably better than the previous (Google powered) app.

YMMV.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I used maps over the weekend. Worked great for me. I really like the turn by turn feature.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
Everything worked fine for me on a trip to Central Valley here in California over the weekend. Even found a good couple of restaurants--one of them had just opened a month ago.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to bbarrera

MVM

to bbarrera
I think if Apple had released it with bad data for CA it would be a whole 'nother level of furor. They could hardly screw up CA now could they? lol

Maybe if the mother ship were based where I live maps would work here.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to BellBoy

to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

Everything worked fine for me on a trip to Central Valley here in California over the weekend. Even found a good couple of restaurants--one of them had just opened a month ago.

Where at in cencal?

I've used the maps app once for directions and it got me all screwed up. It didn't know where 3395 Belair Ave, Clovis CA was, so it took me to 3395 Clovis Ave. It should at least tell you that it's taking a wild ass guess as to where it thinks you want to go.

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

said by Moffetts:

I've used the maps app once for directions and it got me all screwed up. It didn't know where 3395 Belair Ave, Clovis CA was, so it took me to 3395 Clovis Ave. It should at least tell you that it's taking a wild ass guess as to where it thinks you want to go.

Just entered address and both Google maps and Apple Maps took me to Clovis, New Mexico.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by bbarrera:

said by Moffetts:

Just entered address and both Google maps and Apple Maps took me to Clovis, New Mexico.

Two reasons for that:

1. I changed the number so you creepers don't get any ideas.
2. "Belair" is not how the street is spelled: It's "bellaire" or something like that.

Because I didn't give it the correct spelling, I can't fault the software too much but that doesn't explain why it had no problem ignoring part my input and taking me somewhere else. I would prefer it to tell me that that address does not exist. I never had any such problems with google maps on my Evo.

DoLeMiTe
My Dixie Wrecked
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
Pitcairn, PA

1 recommendation

DoLeMiTe to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
Click for full size
I used Maps the other day and what I found pretty cool was that I could drive through the woods when using it

bbarrera
MVM
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera

MVM

The Map app is really sweet, the data is not always good.

Here in these parts we've had very good luck using Apple's new Maps app for playing taxi driver for teenagers and going to restaurants.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
I've used it a few times, and it works great.....if it can find the address. I really wished I could use the good features with the iPad tho

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to bbarrera

MVM

to bbarrera
said by bbarrera:

New Maps working great here, and a welcome improvement over the Google powered Maps in iOS 5.

The turn-by-turn navigation is actually better than my paid Navigon app which I've been using for about 2 years. No issues with the data, it finds everything I've thrown at it since iOS6 was launched. Love the Yelp integration.

My wife, lacking in any technology sophistication, wonders what the fuss is all about. She likes it too. Now if we lived somewhere without good underlying data she would feel otherwise... but around these parts the new Map app is noticeably better than the previous (Google powered) app.

YMMV.

I have been finding the same overall regarding Apple Maps...

I live in a rural area and drive to work an hour away. I have been using Apple Maps just to see how well it handles the drive. I can happily say the same - no idea what the fuss is about. It performs WAY better than the old IOS version of Google Maps (no turn by turn there) and equally as well as Navigon.

For a free navigation app - it seems as long as there is good map data on the server side - the app performs well.

This is a good thing as any shortcomings can be delt with on the server side.

Toppil
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30

Toppil to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
I tapped on the address of a friend in Atlantic City and Apple Maps showed me her house - on Cape Hatteras, NC. Looking for a Lowes Hardware while in Wilmington NC and it shows the store on the wrong side of the road and 1/4 mile down a dirt road.

This is not the Apple everyone expects. Bugs and glitches are one thing. This is shoddy work.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to bbarrera

Mod

to bbarrera
It's ok in Pittsburgh. It's no where as near accurate when it comes to numbering or listings. Google simply has the time advantage.

It has most street names correct.

I've submitted a few bugs.

Peterson Event Center is not the Fitzgerald Field House....

/hail to Pitt

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to bbarrera

MVM

to bbarrera
said by bbarrera:

YMMV.

»news.consumerreports.org ··· oid.html

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by BellBoy:

Where at in cencal?

North of Modesto in Ripon, CA.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
Click for full size
Left: gMap | Right: findanythingmasen
For me where Google Maps shines is in search. I was planning a trip which will include hitting the AKB48 Theater (won my lottery) and Google hits it no problem...iMap...no results.

Where Google Maps bombs and iMap shines is in local traffic. The Apple map nails estimated trip times consistently while Google Maps is always way off thanks to woefully outdated traffic data.

I use my cars' navi so I never bother with turn by turn. Looks nice, but not practical for me. I use phone maps solely for seeing when I should leave to get where I'm going or in this case planning a trip.

For now I am still needing both depending on what I'm doing.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Google Maps adding street view to web based version of Google maps for iOS based devices.
»9to5mac.com/2012/10/03/g ··· omorrow/
rjgogo
join:2003-10-22

rjgogo

What sucks about it is if you misspell anything It craps out. Google maps would always offer "did you mean"

Also, if you are in say Kansas and you search for something that is in another state it will give you no results.

And finally it kills and I mean kills the battery.

I hate it.

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail to bbarrera

Premium Member

to bbarrera
Since I only have an iPhone 4 and voice and 3D were left off I switched over to Waze. It has some quirks but overall a fantastic navigation app. But it's also not so good around parking lots.

The little I used the native app it has seemed fine. The only thing I've noticed is that the tiles seem to load a little slower now. For instance, when I open up my radar map. The native map tiles come in a little slower than they did when it was loading google map tiles.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to bbarrera

to bbarrera
Used it several times now and it worked great ... now life goes on for me.