neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

New scanner advice...

Well... I am realizing that my good ole Snap On MT-2500 has reached the end of it's life a long time ago. I think the newest updates I can get for it is around 2007 or something like that.

Soooo.. I am shopping for a new scanner... Since I don't have thousands to lay out on a brand new scanner, I am looking at the used market. First off... My fleet of vehicles I maintain or diagnose..

1996 Jeep
1994 Dodge
2008 Nissan
2008 Chevy
2011 Chevy

Plus, I tend to lend my scanner to my friend who is a mechanic when he needs it.

Now.... The 2500 won't read anything over 1999, at least with the current cartridges.. even in the Generic OBD-II mode.

I've been considering the TSI and VSI cartridges for the 2500, but I'm not sure how far they will let me work. I've also considered maybe a OTC Genisys tool. I think the Snap On Solus and Modis are still a bit outside of my price range.

The Genisys can be upgraded (currently, anyway). The Solus or Modis can also be upgraded.

I want to be able to do system tests, component setups (like cam sensors and such), and other stuff the $100 OBD-II scanners won't do.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

AutoEnginuity

»www.autoenginuity.com/

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

AutoEnginuity

No support for OBD-I vehicles.... That and if my friend has to use it, I don't want to hand him my laptop to go with it... I'd never get it back... LOL....

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

You don't need support for OBD1. You have that in your old tool.

For what you are asking for in terms of functionality + price, you aren't going to get one that doesn't need a laptop.

Tell your friend to buy one of those $100.00 specials. You are neutering your choice otherwise.

TypeNameHere to neonhomer

Anon

to neonhomer
As far as I'm concerned, the only good scanner was the HP Tech2.

Some other company manufactures them these days and they do not hold a candle to the older HP built units. I think it's Vertronix but don't hold me to it.
They do everything...reprograms, vin captures, mileage transfers, abs, trans, bcm, hvac, obd1 & 2, airbags....yada yada and on and on.
They were the official GM dealer scanner so there are tons of them out there.
»inlandempire.craigslist. ··· 713.html
Thats the unit.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

The Tech2 only does GM though, don't it? I know Chrysler has the DRB-III....

I was wanting to get a all-in-one solution.....

If I ended up with a Genisys or a Solus/Modis, if my friend needed to borrow it, it would be with me standing there w/ it. My "brick" I don't mind lending it to him...

TypeNameHere

Anon

I have personally used a tech2 on Isuzu and Daihatsu vehicles at a GM/isuzu/daihatsu dealership.

I chased it down and Vertronix did buy out HP on them....and then Bosch bought out Vertronix.
Bosch says it's only GM ???

I tried to check on the software updates for it and get a 403 login required with no way to sign up for a login ?
Damn Germans.

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Well, I ended up picking up a OTC Genisys from eBay. Waiting for it to show up......

kieranmullen
Premium Member
join:2005-12-12
Portland, OR

kieranmullen

Premium Member

What does anyone think of the bluetooth OBD sensors that will talk to your tablet using $6 software like torque?

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

I've heard mixed reviews about them. Success boils down to the right OBD-II to Bluetooth adapter....

I prefer my scan tools....
Expand your moderator at work

mudlab4x4
@cox.net

mudlab4x4 to neonhomer

Anon

to neonhomer

Re: New scanner advice...

we use a snap-on verus with a pass though programer we also use MDI (Ford, Chevrolet) and M2K (chrysler) u can get 1 on Ebay and watch craigs list