share rss forum feed

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to underthehood

Re: Is it me? ;)

Hence why I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone using an ATI card. I consider myself pretty fluent in computers, at least with Windows, and I couldn't figure it out. Having to find that special command to get something working is just silly in 2012.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by Maven:

Hence why I wouldn't recommend Linux to anyone using an ATI card. I consider myself pretty fluent in computers, at least with Windows, and I couldn't figure it out. Having to find that special command to get something working is just silly in 2012.

IME ATI cards can be hit or miss. Sometimes Ubuntu will install the driver you need, sometimes it won't, and other times (usually on other cards) support ended long ago.
I always stick with Intel or nVidia cards.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Maxo:

I always stick with Intel or nVidia cards.

Same here. ATI has pretty good out of the box support for just basic 2D video, but that's about it. I owned one ATI card, and I don't plan to ever own another one after using it with Linux.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.