Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Gulfport, MS

gmail only coming down on first machine that pulls it

Hi all, I've got gmail loaded on two email clients on two machines - Outlook Express on an XP Pro desktop and Thunderbird on a Win7 laptop. Rarely used the laptop until recently and now use both - had thought gmail came down on both machines but in reality it only comes down on the first machine that pulses for mail. The mail is retained on GMail Webmail ( server ) until I manually delete it. I've looked at the gmail server settings and don't see either what I'm doing wrong or how I should be doing something differently. Any advice to get mail on both machines automatically. Thanks

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV

1 recommendation

Are both mail programs set to leave a copy on the server?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL
kudos:5
reply to pensioner
Setup your gmail to IMAP and not POP3..
--
»www.RestartYourComputer.net

pensioner
Premium
Gulfport, MS
SuperNet, keeping the desktop on pop and making the laptop IMAP worked - BUT it's seems as it the laptop Thunderbird acct has now taken over from the online gmail server. Still playing with that aspect. Thanks to you and DataDoc for your inputs - and to DataDoc's question: yes, both settings showed leave on server.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Again POP must be set to leave messages on server unless actually deleted. For any other machine to see them as well. And that other machine must be set the same way.

Personally I just use Gmail on mobile devices using Apps. By default they are set that way... only truly deleted messages are ever removed otherwise all devices have access to all undeleted mail.
--

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
reply to pensioner
Why don't you set both to IMAP? That would solve your problem.

pensioner
Premium
Gulfport, MS
reply to pensioner

Re: SOLVED:gmail only coming down on first machine that pulls it

Hi all, thanks for the input, the pop on one machine and IMAP on the laptop has provided me the solution. And I now understand that the IMAP setting will in essence duplicate the server. So lets consider the thread solved.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA
kudos:4
IMAP = Syncs. If they are all imap, then if you delete an email on one, it will on the other, etc.. Its the preferred method. (and thunderbird allows the download of imap mail for offline reading too. no downside)
--
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult. The day he forgives himself, he becomes wise.
Alden Nowlan