Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Quebec Cable - Slow Speeds (vCable)

If that's what it looks like then be it!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
My point precisely

Guru

I guess my expectations for TSI were just too high!!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Or what you are so intently thinking is one thing is, in fact, another.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guru

I don't believe so!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Show me where you had a similar conversation with George Cope.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
*while* dealing with an outage and making sure everybody is doing what they need too in order to make sure customers know what's going on and network admins working to resolve it as quickly as possible.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guru

reply to TSI Marc
That's exactly why it's still mixed feelings and because you are not giving up!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Let me try this from a different angle. Please don't call me a greedy liar. I honestly can't stand for it. I'm a person you know. It's just not true.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Guru
To add to you're earlier comment, it wasn't "an opportunity to grow big". It just happened by doing the same thing we're doing now... Caring and trying to make a difference.. We even put stop sells for something like 6 months. I couldn't slow it down even if I wanted to.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TSI Marc:

Caring and trying to make a difference..

hats off to that!
said by TSI Marc:

We even put stop sells for something like 6 months

Good.

chuck02

join:2012-04-05
reply to TSI Marc
Marc, in situations like this, wouldn't it be preferable to cap the speed of everyone affected to at least guarantee the connections stop dropping dead every 5 seconds? I mean, I love having 30mbits, but it's rather useless if it keeps dying and translates to less than 5mbits.

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada
reply to Guru
Geez...get a room.

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
reply to TSI Andre
1/3 of my speed

1/3 will be paid on the next bill !

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

1 edit

and FYI....

Ultimate Cable 30
Up to 30 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up

pldube

join:2011-06-11
canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
said by singerie3:

and FYI....

Ultimate Cable 30
Up to 30 Mbps Down / 2 Mbps Up

Where they say "Up to" ?

I know ADSL they are "Up to" ... but not cable.

edit: Oh sh!t you are right ... ROFL Just like BELL

singerie3

join:2008-10-12
Saint-Constant, QC

chuck02

join:2012-04-05
reply to singerie3
The issue here is not the speed cap, it's a congestion problem causing the connection to go completely down. The speed tests are just a way of measuring how bad it is.

Basically, on the worst nights, it goes from 0 to 10mbits every 5-10 seconds.

It's very bad for people trying to stream video feeds and I'm guessing online gaming.

Any ISP should be able to provide customers with a stable connection, no matter what "up to" marketing bullshit they use. TSI never played that card because I'm sure they know it would be wrong.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
I checked on this and the third gig link is due to be installed on the 16th of October and then turned up either at the end of that week or early the next. Roughly 4-5 days after the physical link gets installed.

This third link was ordered at the same time as the last upgrade was installed. We're not sure why but the second link got used up abnormally quickly. Sales have been solid but nothing way out of the ordinary. Maybe speeds were upgraded but I'm not sure. Seems usage patterns have changed for existing users. The only thing we could have done differently would have been to go straight to 10gig and skip the 3rd gig link but even then, we'd still be waiting for the install. We would have needed to go from 1gig to 3gig to avert any congestion. Or to completely stop all new signups pretty much as the 2nd gig upgrade went in and even then, I don't know that it would have changed anything since the usage patterns appear to have changed.

The next upgrade is already in the works as well and it will be a 10gig link so future upgrades should be more quick since nothing physical needs to be added, all that will be needed will be to change the rate limit on the 10gig link. If usage patterns or speed upgrades occur.. we'll be in a better position to cope with it.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

xgmranti

join:2005-10-31
Almonte, ON
kudos:1
reply to TSI Andre
For whatever reason you don't notice during online gaming. Pings in UT99 were stable at 60ish ms to the servers I was on for the last few days while I did notice a slow down from usenet.

Honestly when it comes between being able to use the internet unlike capped Videotron I'd still take a slow down every now and then. Though even through the slowdowns, down to about 400KB/s on newsgroups, I never noticed a slow down on browsing and no one mentioned anything to me for the rest of the household.

My only gripe so far which is unrelated is TekTalk which wasn't taking calls last night for whatever reason. Hopefully it was just a glitch with the obi202. Though there's been apparent call quality issues with it as well. Again I don't use the phone so I have no idea but may have to switch that back to Videotron so I stop getting unhappy looks.

Calimera

@nrc.gc.ca
reply to TSI Marc
Thanks, Marc.

I noticed the slow down too, starting maybe one-two weeks ago. I am also on a 30/2 plan and unlike some others here, I actually appreciate your (TSI's) efforts to resolve the situation. I can live with a few days of reduced speed if a solution is on the horizon. I think people tend to forget the times where there was only Bell and Videotron, speeds that we are getting now and unlimited data would have never been possible. So I'd like to actually thank you for providing me with a solid internet service. Cheers !

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
thanks!

I don't like slow internet either!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Marc
Little hint for usage, I am subscribed to 15 mbits and getting closer to 22 mbit/s usually. It started a few weeks ago.

I am not complaining

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
said by Cyborg994:

Little hint for usage, I am subscribed to 15 mbits and getting closer to 22 mbit/s usually. It started a few weeks ago.

I am not complaining

Ah! That would certainly explain it!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

ghostly57

join:2011-08-22
QC, Canada
said by TSI Marc:

said by Cyborg994:

I am not complaining

Yeah, on the Videotron forum, there's thread that talks about the speed increases. Here it is: »[Internet] Changement Internet Haute Vitesse (In French)

Hemish

join:2012-05-31
Riviere-Du-Loup, QC
reply to xgmranti
said by xgmranti:

Honestly when it comes between being able to use the internet unlike capped Videotron I'd still take a slow down every now and then. Though even through the slowdowns, down to about 400KB/s on newsgroups, I never noticed a slow down on browsing and no one mentioned anything to me for the rest of the household.

The problem is that when we reach this situation, it takes a while to fix and it's just not "now and then" but every night until they do fix it. I like the part where Teksavvy says it's entirely the customers' fault for trying to use the speed they paid for and not the overselling of their service that causes these slowdowns.

When they say 1gig link, do they mean gigaBYTES ou gigabits? In any case that would be less than 1000 users at 30mbps, I doubt Teksavvy has that low a number of customers in Videotron land.

At least they're present and acknowledge these issues quickly even if the fix, being out of their control the moment they request an upgrade, takes a while.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to ghostly57
said by ghostly57:

said by TSI Marc:

said by Cyborg994:

I am not complaining

Yeah, on the Videotron forum, there's thread that talks about the speed increases. Here it is: »[Internet] Changement Internet Haute Vitesse (In French)

well that totally explains it then.. no wonder our planning was thrown off! they upgraded everybody's speeds!! of course.. that's good news.. but it definately affects how much usage everybody uses too though since everybody can download faster...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to Hemish
said by Hemish:

said by xgmranti:

The problem is that when we reach this situation, it takes a while to fix and it's just not "now and then" but every night until they do fix it. I like the part where Teksavvy says it's entirely the customers' fault for trying to use the speed they paid for and not the overselling of their service that causes these slowdowns.

When they say 1gig link, do they mean gigaBYTES ou gigabits? In any case that would be less than 1000 users at 30mbps, I doubt Teksavvy has that low a number of customers in Videotron land.

At least they're present and acknowledge these issues quickly even if the fix, being out of their control the moment they request an upgrade, takes a while.

"I like the part where Teksavvy says it's entirely the customers' fault for trying to use the speed they paid for and not the overselling of their service that causes these slowdowns."

just focusing in on this snippet..

We did *not* over sell. We planned for a certain amount of customers at a certain amount of usage for each customer.

It's looking like the usage per user has changed abruptly due to a gracious speed upgrade from Videotron causing the average usage to go up and eating up more capacity earlier then planned.

We don't get those notices ahead of time and so our ability to avert this is very limited.

We've been upgrading at the same time new upgrades are installed. We have a new upgrade on the way to be delivered in a couple weeks and we already have the next upgrade after that in the works. It will be a much larger link that would then require less lead time to increase capacity if ever another speed upgrades suddenly happens.

There's no doubt that we've been adding users but nothing abnormally high that would have broken our planning. It's looking like the speed upgrades were the primary cause.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
Expand your moderator at work

Hemish

join:2012-05-31
Riviere-Du-Loup, QC
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Quebec Cable - Slow Speeds (vCable)

said by TSI Marc:

"I like the part where Teksavvy says it's entirely the customers' fault for trying to use the speed they paid for and not the overselling of their service that causes these slowdowns."

just focusing in on this snippet..

We did *not* over sell. We planned for a certain amount of customers at a certain amount of usage for each customer.

It's looking like the usage per user has changed abruptly due to a gracious speed upgrade from Videotron causing the average usage to go up and eating up more capacity earlier then planned.

We don't get those notices ahead of time and so our ability to avert this is very limited.

We've been upgrading at the same time new upgrades are installed. We have a new upgrade on the way to be delivered in a couple weeks and we already have the next upgrade after that in the works. It will be a much larger link that would then require less lead time to increase capacity if ever another speed upgrades suddenly happens.

There's no doubt that we've been adding users but nothing abnormally high that would have broken our planning. It's looking like the speed upgrades were the primary cause.

Hey Marc, I can give Teksavvy the benefits of the doubt (is that an expression used in english?) in this particuliar case. I was mostly referring to the last time this happened which happened right when I signed up with Teksavvy last summer. It came as a surprise back then, with astonishing sales, etc... It took something like 2 months of horrible speed which made my brand new Netflix subscription useless to get it fixed with that 2gig capacity you mentioned.

Before Teksavvy acknowledged that capacity issue, the community here found that the same thing had happened something like half a year before with the same cause.

So, a third time in one year looked a lot like the other two instances which are where my irritation comes from. That 10gig can't come soon enough to provide buffer and quicker resolutions in the future if I understand it correctly. From what I can understand, you get the 10gig upgrade but only pay for the 3gig used and then Videotron can raise it to 4gig and charge you for that new capacity meaning the "upgrades" in capacity would be a lot quicker and easier until that 10gig is reached?

I'm sure you understand where we're coming from. Prime time is when we need the speed. If it's slow during the night, I don't mind if it takes 7 hours instead of 45minutes to install Saint Row 3 from Steam since I'm sleeping. If I get home and decide I want to install a game, one would like it quickly with the 30mbits link instead of an awesome 244k/sec.

As a final note, it's such bullshit if Videotron doesn't even need to send a notice to the wholesales/resellers like Teksavvy and Ebox. Even if Videotron loses the customers you guys have, Teksavvy is still their customer as they're charging you.