how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

clocks11

join:2002-05-06
reply to clocks11

Re: WOW could use some faster speeds - PC MAG

I bet WOWs 2meg tier are hurting their averages. I bet the lowest tier is usually higher with other companies.

ghettocowboy

@wideopenwest.com

2mb is pointless nowadays. they should have kept the 8/1 instead as the lowest, 15/2 instead of 15/1, bump the 30/3 to 30/5 and the 50/5 to 50/10 at least. adding a higher 75 or 100/25 would be nice for some but unneeded by most. the big issue is the low upload speeds.
being forced to use (or lose support) their router for the ultra tv is also a downfall. my dir-655 gave me much better signal. with the utv router i barely reach outside my house, my 655 i would pick up signal half a block down the street

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Absolutely, WOW has bigger fish to fry than speeds. They need to fix the Arris Gateway problems NOW.

In the meantime, I will happily evangelize for the direct competition to their Ultra TV: the Ceton Q/Echo.

No silly Arris Gateway required, and bring your own router just like normal.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ghettocowboy

said by ghettocowboy :

2mb is pointless nowadays ...

Not according to some folks I know, who'd rather pay $19.95, or less, for slow, than twice that for 6.0 mb/s minimum speed.

I was in pain for about seven months, from January, 2012 to August, 2012, when I was compelled by circumstances to rely on others for Internet access; folks with the cheapest, slowest AT&T ADSL service. My friend told me she just lets YouTube buffer then hits replay. I hated that, but I wasn't staying with her long term, so I had to put up with it.

I had never had less than 1.5 mb/s since first getting ADSL (cable wasn't available to us then) in 2001. And was getting used to 4.8 mb/s when struck by a serious illness last year.

I like my current provider. The "Data" (ADSL2+) portion of my bill is just $19.95 a month. Beats the snot out of the Comcast 12.0 mb/s tier for price (I believe it is now $52 a month), and their "Economy" tier (3.0M/768k for $39.95) for both speed and price (4.8M/400k at the old residence and 15M/792k at the new).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

baess

join:2011-01-28

I wonder why we have to pay so much more for faster speeds?

Shouldn't the fact that technology progressed to the point these faster speeds are available have led to the cost eventually coming down? Isn't that how it typically works with technology? I can buy a TV for half of what it cost five years ago, also a computer.

So why is internet so expensive? Seems like the providers are keeping the prices artificially high. I guess certain industries do that. Others reduce their prices.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by baess:

Interesting question. I think ISPs use tiers to control CAPEX. More customers on slower tiers means less spending on plant upgrades.

My ISP, Sonic.net, LLC, does not sell tiers. CEO has this to say:

»Re: I feel like I'm subsidizing other customers
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to baess

said by baess:

Shouldn't the fact that technology progressed to the point these faster speeds are available have led to the cost eventually coming down? Isn't that how it typically works with technology? I can buy a TV for half of what it cost five years ago, also a computer.

So why is internet so expensive? Seems like the providers are keeping the prices artificially high. I guess certain industries do that. Others reduce their prices.

My worry is that the ISPs will *really* start to squeeze us once the Postal Service is gone (or still around but the service quality has greatly degraded) and we are forced to use the Internet to get and pay bills and get/do other stuff that we can currently use the USPS for. In the last year or so, I've started getting just about all of my credit card, bank and 401(k) statement via the Internet and pay them via credit card or my bank's online billing... I guess I'm part of the problem in hastening the USPS's demise.