ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE

ggma1126

Premium Member

iphone 5, razr maxx, or samsung s3

I am having a hard time deciding on which phone to get so thought I would come here and get some input from those that have one or the other of these 3 . My droid X is starting to die (I dropped it pretty hard a couple of weeks ago) I use the phone mostly for texting, pics, some phone calls, and 1 or 2 apps - not a heavy data user - no video watching on phone. all input is welcome
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I'm biased. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
If I were you I would get the S3. But that is just because it is arguably the best phone out right now spec and feature wise.
hitachi369

hitachi369 to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
I have a Nexus and I like it. It has a nice form and feature set. I would still get the S3 though .
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

between his three choices - beyond a doubt the S3. I like the the nexus because it is pure Google with no carrier crapware on it and will always get the newest Android updates.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to ggma1126

MVM

to ggma1126
The Razr wouldn't even be on my list to begin with. I have avoided Motorola phones for years now.... See below

Since I prefer as much control, i.e. rooting/hacking, I'd lean towards the Galaxy, although Apple really does make FINE products. I think the iPhone 5 is jail-breakable, but possibly only with the tether option.
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to ggma1126

to ggma1126
Razr maxx or razr m - their both nice IMO. As far as people thinking the motorolas have all the moto blur crap - that's no more. I have a razr m and it does have a few motorola specific apps in it but it works very solid and reliable. The maxx is pretty much the same way since ICS update. Battery life on the maxx is pretty good too. I tried an S3 and I thought it was a bit too plasticy and cheap for me. It was neat the first few days, after that, I wanted something more solid so I went with the Razr M

OP - if you can wait probably 2 months or so, the Razr HD maxx will be released.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
Claymont, DE

1 edit

ggma1126

Premium Member

said by ggma1126:

I am having a hard time deciding on which phone to get so thought I would come here and get some input from those that have one or the other of these 3 . My droid X is starting to die (I dropped it pretty hard a couple of weeks ago) I use the phone mostly for texting, pics, some phone calls, and 1 or 2 apps - not a heavy data user - no video watching on phone. all input is welcome

thanks to all for the input - forgot to mention I also do email on the phone (exchange and personal) and PS: Jim I am a she not a he (lol)

also not looking to jailbreak or anything like that ---not that savvy with a cell phone

Also had a samsung a few years ago and was not happy with it at all and kind of soured on samsung - got rid of it for an iphone 3gs and from there went to a droid x which is where I am now

well you all have helped - I am going to check out the sIII but also will look at the ip5 on display at the store when I decide will let you all know

CrzyCrakr
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Edgewater, MD

CrzyCrakr

Premium Member

said by ggma1126:

said by ggma1126:

thanks to all for the input - forgot to mention I also do email on the phone (exchange and personal) and PS: Jim I am a she not a he (lol)

also not looking to jailbreak or anything like that ---not that savvy with a cell phone

Also had a samsung a few years ago and was not happy with it at all and kind of soured on samsung - got rid of it for an iphone 3gs and from there went to a droid x which is where I am now

well you all have helped - I am going to check out the sIII but also will look at the ip5 on display at the store when I decide will let you all know

Honestly I have had all 3 and and I went back to the MAXX. The MAXX has a better radio. Calls were clearer and didn't drop calls. The MAXX is on Ice Cream Sandwich and supposed to get Jelly bean before then end of the year. Motorola really didn't do a lot of changes from stock ICS so it isn't bad...Verizon has the usual crapware on it but now with ICS you can disable it so no worries. Samsung was the worst as far as UI overlay. S3 which battery was bigger than the iphone 5 but it drained down just as fast. I also didn't like the feel of the S3 in my hand. Felt like a plastic toy. I wasn't a big fan of the iphone 5 feel in my hand either. I didn't care much for the call clarity. What kills them all even now is the battery life on the MAXX. I get around 16 hours of use out of my MAXX and that is moderate to heavy use. If you liked the DX then you will love the MAXX. To each their own though so go to the store and play with them all, hold them in your hands and pick which one you like.

(shrug) Maybe I am just a sucker for kevlar. lol

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
iPhone 5

I love mine!
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to CrzyCrakr

to CrzyCrakr
Yep - same thoughts on the S3 and the Maxx.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to ggma1126

to ggma1126
my apologies Ma'am

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer to ggma1126

to ggma1126
The non-user replaceable battery on the razr made it a no go for me (I always put extended batteries in my phones).

I like the iPhone, I don't really care for iOS (after having 2 iPhones).

I love my S3. Best phone I've ever had.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by motoracer:

The non-user replaceable battery on the razr made it a no go for me (I always put extended batteries in my phones).

I carry an extra too, couldn't see myself wthout an extra battery.

jehma
Have A Grateful Day
join:2001-10-25
Basking Ridge, NJ

jehma to ggma1126

to ggma1126
I went from a DX to an SG3 and couldn't be happier.
Vicious
join:2008-06-19
Ellerslie, GA

Vicious to ggma1126

to ggma1126
I originally had the Droid Razr. I later moved up to the Maxx. I've had several Samsung phones, and I've always had reception issues with them. Everybody I know that has an iPhone drops calls while I am talking to them, so I believe that they suffer from the same troubles as Samsung. Not with either of the Razrs I have owned. The reception is crystal clear. To me, the Maxx is the best of the three. The battery lasts me 2 whole days before I have to charge again. It has ridiculously better battery life than I've ever gotten with any other smartphone. It is also rootable, with many custom roms for it if you are into that stuff. The only drawback is the locked bootloader that prevents you from flashing a custom kernal, but that's nit picking a little.

why60loss
Premium Member
join:2012-09-20

why60loss to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
I would get a S3 hands down. I have had the Droid razr for 8 month's and it was a bad phone before and after the ICS update. If you want to know more about that phone, look at my verizon review. Then I got a S3 and it's the fastest, long lasting phone on verizon. Very few bug's Vs the razrs. Then I got the iphone 5 on day one, but I took it back, becuase of maps, screen issues and more.

I used to really what they made before like the flip phones and kazr/1st razr, but they can't make a good smart phone. If it's a "Droid" phone run for the hill's, becuase if any thing gos bad. Verizon and who ever made the phone will give you the run around. Verizon will say they did not make it and the phone maker will say verizon put there branding on it and told us to make it that way.

Point: buy a S3 or if not that stay away from the razr of DOOM.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
Claymont, DE

1 edit

ggma1126 to Vicious

Premium Member

to Vicious
I am leaning now towards either the Razr M or Razr HD no way do I get a Samsung as Every Samsung I had gave me problems in addition to the fact that the s 3 is so cheap looking and not well built with its plastic case . Going to the store tomorrow and check out both and will then decide. if anyone on here has either razr M or razr HD would like feedback thanks
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

eh, your choice. It will always be a Nexus for me .. pure Google, no crapware.
spkay
join:2005-11-10
Princeton, MA

spkay to ggma1126

to ggma1126
The S3 is the best phone by far. I don't have one yet, but will get one when the price starts to come down to earth (probably 6 mos).

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

2 edits

Blogger to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
The iPhone is the best strictly in terms of quality of build. I'm not voting up or down on performance--just quality of build. You can decide the performance issue on your own.

In the long-run or big picture the only difference between the Razr and Razr Maxx is a bigger battery for an approximately $100 more. Motorola has all ways been the bad boy of inconsistent quality control. You can have a certain model of Motorola that works great all the time. Your friend can have the exact same model but it is the pits and full of problems. However, in fairness based on past crummy performance as described the Motorola models we are talking about here seem to be OVERALL being doing better in consistency of good performance with fewer lemons.

The Galaxy and S3 are both good. The S3 is just a bit more high tech in some areas. However, the differences are arguably minimal especially with pending updates and since the S3 is currently a lot more expensive that might be a factor to consider.

Strictly in terms of phone for the dollar as I write this the Samsung Galaxy is the best. But money is relative depending upon your financial flexibility and priorities.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
Claymont, DE

ggma1126

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

The iPhone is the best strictly in terms of quality of build. I'm not voting up or down on performance--just quality of build. You can decide the performance issue on your own.

In the long-run or big picture the only difference between the Razr and Razr Maxx is a bigger battery for an approximately $100 more. Motorola has all ways been the bad boy of inconsistent quality control. You can have Motorola that works great all the time. Your friend can have the exact same model and it is the pits full of problems. However, in fairness based on past crummy performance as described the Motorola models we are talking about here seem to be OVERALL being doing better in consistency of good performance with fewer lemons.

The Galaxy and S3 are both good. The S3 is just a bit more high tech in some areas. However, the differences are arguably minimal especially with pending updates and since the S3 is currently a lot more expensive that might a factor to consider.

Strictly in terms of phone for the dollar as I write this the Samsung Galaxy is the best. But money is relative depending upon your financial flexibility and priorities.

Thanks for your input - I have already ruled out S3 as I have had numerous problems over the years with samsung on the other hand never a problem with my motorola's my droid X has worked perfectly for 2 years the only reason I am looking is it took a hard fall about a month ago and and has a crack on the screen
kevnich24
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24 to spkay

to spkay
No offense but how can you say the phone is the best if you don't have one?? That's like everyone saying iphone 5 was the best phone out there BEFORE it even came out?
kevnich24

kevnich24 to ggma1126

to ggma1126
I have the razr M myself - works pretty good. Small and easy to use with one hand which I like while the screen is still pretty good size. Simultanious voice and data is also a plus for me. I've tried the S3 for about a week - wasn't my cup of tea. To me it felt too cheap and plasticy and I am definitely not a fan of the touch wiz on samsung. The new line of razr's on the other hand are almost pure stock ICS. Their removing all the non android stuff from the droid lines which is a big plus.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
Claymont, DE

ggma1126

Premium Member

Got the razor hd today not really much larger than the M really like it am still playing with it and finding my way around it is so much lighter in weight than my droid x it populated some of my apps but not all so am in process of re downloading the ones I want still trying to find an app that will notify me go upcoming appointments like I had with the droid x where a date widget had the day and upcoming appointments

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger

Premium Member

Best of luck with the new phone. In reality there are many good Smartphones available to buy just as there are many good cars to choose for purchase. Ultimately, the individual buyer has to be happy with what their choice and the reasons for their for choice. That's all that counts when it comes to choosing what to buy.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium Member
Claymont, DE

ggma1126

Premium Member

said by Blogger:

Best of luck with the new phone. In reality there are many good Smartphones available to buy just as there are many good cars to choose for purchase. Ultimately, the individual buyer has to be happy with what their choice and the reasons for their for choice. That's all that counts when it comes to choosing what to buy.

I agree in the end when I went to the store and looked at them all (iphone , s3, razr m and razr hd) in reality it came down to what i am most comfortable with and having been on android for the last 2 years I prefer the fact that I can do more with the android

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to ggma1126

Premium Member

to ggma1126
I went with the S3, i upgrade from a thunderbolt.

Honestly i would hold off till the new nexus phones come out, if you want something now and dont want a contract and something you can resell i would go to swappa.com

couple friends have used it and the love it...