join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Hardware BSOD

Alright, lately I've been getting hardware BSOD's on my work box running Win 7 Enterprise. The issue is that the BSOD's happen at least daily, usually at the worst time (duh), and have literally 0x0000 signature. What shows up in the crash log is literally "unknown error". Additionally, a new symptom is that now it boots up, displays nothing (monitor goes to sleep), and dosen't do anything till another BSOD appears (wakes up the monitor to display the BSOD then shuts down). Therfore I know it's not the graphics card, since it shows up, but I can't even see the boot menu (even with another monitor and using a different connection (DVI as opposed to DP).

This is driving me nuts, it's under warranty until next year so that's not an issue, but I would like to get this fixed sooner rather than later.

Specs:

OS - Windows 7 Enterprise
Processor - Xeon W3520
RAM - 2 x 1 GB Non-Reg ECC Samsung OEM
2 x 2GB Non-Reg ECC Kingston (same timing)
Hard Drive - Samsung 830 120GB SSD
Video Card - Quadro FX 580 (Top x16 Slot)
Display - HP ZR24W connected via Displayport
Misc - 2 x Intel 1000/PT Dual Gigabit LAN Cards (Middle x8 and Bottom x16 slot).

Ironically I'm typing this out on my Macbook Air while putting in a support ticket about a Lenovo Workstation that is ISV certified.
sk1939

sk1939

Premium Member

Pulling out the nics resulted in the boot screen appearing, lots of beeps, and a reboot, followed the the same process for a net effect of 0.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
Check with the maker/vendor of your PC for the meaning of the beep code sequence you're hearing.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

There wasn't one, it turns out the beep was because the Macbook was sitting one of the keys on the keyboard.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to sk1939

to sk1939
To start, take out half of your RAM, then put just the other half in, and test in both cases. Post the results.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Same result. Did get it to boot by removing all of the components and putting them back in, but I did get it to boot once yesterday and worked for several hours. Now I can't get it to boot again, but I did see the BSOD error that showed up, nkvd.sys (cold war humor), I mean nvdkm.sys. I updated the driver the other day to 305.XX, but it's not like I can roll it back, there is no way to. Is it a dying video card perhaps?
sk1939

sk1939

Premium Member

I found that if I add a DVI cable to the same monitor(with the DP cable still connected!!) the machine boots just fine, up till the login screen where I need to change to DP which is set to primary. I also don't get the BSOD. Is it an issue with Displayport?

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Could be. I'd put in a completely different display adapter.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I don't have an extra graphics card at the moment otherwise I would. The issue is I'm wondering if it is the card (issues with DP) or the cable (voltage on Pin 20), but I have no way to test either.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Any respectable computer geek should have spare parts.

Not to take it as bragging, but I think I have over a dozen spare video cards of various vintages. Probably not much use for a monochrome hercules, but I have about 3 - 4 extra PCI-e cards, and at least 5 - 6 PCI cards.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I do have parts, just not at this location, and not with a displayport connector.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to sk1939

to sk1939
Power supply

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Checked that, it works fine. It has something to do with the graphics card and displayport. When I use displayport exclusively the PC refuses to display and image, and eventually BSODs. When using DVI it works flawlessly. It also works (relatively) flawlessly when switching back to displayport from DVI. However, I do still get the unknown BSOD on occasion.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to sk1939

to sk1939
Two quick questions. Out of curiosity mostly.

1 - How did you check your power supply?

2 - Why are you using DP?

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

DMM and displayport because it is easier to re-cable.