Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA

Re: [Troubleshooting] MiFi 4620L Firmware Won't Update

Odd indeed.

It seems to download the update - I can see the progress bar in the browser interface. Then, the browser interface asks me if I want to update now. At the same time, the 4620L beeps and displays a message indicating that a mandatory update is available. It offers me the opportunity to update now or defer it until the next restart.

I have tried all three: update now from the browser, update now from the 4620L, and defer the update until the next restart. Incidentally, at the next restart the 4620L does indeed tell me that a deferred update is pending and will be installed.

BUT, no matter what I do, when it tries to install the update the screen on the 4620L goes blank for only a few seconds (even though it says that the update will take approximately 2 minutes, 49 seconds) and then it reboots -- obviously way too fast for an update to have taken place.

So, for now, I am at a loss as to why the update continues to fail. I think I will wait until Verizon (hopefully) posts a downloadable version of the update so that I can get a copy of it on my PC and try it from there using the USB connection.
jcharr1
join:2007-05-16
Monterey, LA

jcharr1

That's exactly what happens with me, and I tried all the same things, too.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to Oregonian

to Oregonian
you aren't missing much with the update. No added functions.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

said by Jim_in_VA:

you aren't missing much with the update. No added functions.

Except for the ability to get future updates! Arghh!

pdxsk
@auburnwa.gov

pdxsk to Oregonian

Anon

to Oregonian
I'm in an organization where we are deploying eight (8) MiFi 4620L's and experiencing the exact same symptoms. One of those eight did update to 3.20.03.01 successfully, the other seven have not.

I called Verizon tech support. They had me go through the reset process, etc..and after no success, they gave me Novatel tech supports phone number (877-259-2761) where I had to deal with someone even less knowledgable in India who had me do the exact same troubleshooting steps that I had done and that Verizon support had me do.

No luck and I'm waiting for a call back from Novatel after the tech discusses with his supervisor what to do next.

Everything looks great, until the device shuts down to update and it appears to just restart saying the update was successful. I didn't do anything different on the one MiFi that did update successfully.

I'll keep an eye on this thread if anyone posts more info. I can't believe we're the only ones experiencing it, but a Google search yields just this thread so far.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks for posting your experience. Sounds just like what I am seeing.

Please post back if you ever hear back from Verizon or Novatel.

Dribble
@cogentco.com

Dribble

Anon

Same problem here. Called Verizon support today and they had no clue about the problem or that the 3.20.03.01 firmware update even existed. I lost hope when I found that out.

The rep said it would be a Novatel problem if its firmware related.