O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Bob4

Re: Pot Hole Help in NJ

Apparently you didn't take the time to read my post thoroughly.

There is a big difference between a liability / collision deductible and a comprehensive deductible?

If someone is driving around in a 2012 BMW w/o comprehensive coverage he either paid cash for the car and/or is crazy.
Most loans or leases will require comprehensive coverage.

Insurance is expensive everywhere. Try paying for full coverage on commercial vehicles. It's a racket.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

I mentioned insurance days ago and he said he has a $1000 deductible. I'm sure he was talking about comprehensive coverage. Sheesh.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Maybe I'm phrasing it wrong. Let's put it this way: "Other than collision" deductible. Typically much less than your "collision" deductible. My insurance company calls it "Comprehensive".

Comprehensive: In the event of hail damage or a tree limb falling on your car (risks not involving an automobile collision), this coverage insures you. Comprehensive coverage pays to repair your vehicle, subject to a separate deductible.

Most of the time, this type of coverage is required if you have a loan or lease. In addition, they may require uninsured motorist and under-insured motorist (especially on high value vehicles).

Even though I paid cash for my vehicles, I still carry this type of coverage. It's really not that much more than liability / collision. I think comprehensive adds like $7.00 a month to my bill.

You'd have to be a very unlucky person to have a $1,000 comprehensive deductible, but I guess it could happen.
Mine is only $100 per vehicle, but I've only had one claim (hail damage).
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

2 edits

My comprehensive deductible is $500. The OP's is $1000. Why are you having such a problem with this?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

Because $1000 for a comp deductible is absolutely unreasonable and outrageous.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

It's the buyer's choice. I think I used to have a $2,000 comprehensive deductible.

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

That's insane. I could see having a $1,000 deductible on liability or collision to save money, or if you had a poor driving record - but not on comprehensive coverage.

I know people who have had several claims on their comprehensive and their deductible is still only $250.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

You can choose whatever deductible you want. Auto insurance is very expensive in NJ. I think we're the highest in the nation. I pay $2000 per year for two cars, and that's with a $2,500 medical deductible. Higher deductibles lower premiums. This is not rocket science.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yea but it makes no sense to have a 1000.00 deductible on comprehensive. Collision it does. I really think the op is mixing up the two. We wont know unless the OP comes back. Just for shits and grins i went online to see how much i could save by upping mine from 250 to 1000.00. It was 2 dollars a year

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Bob4

You are NOT the highest in the nation. Im from the suburbs of Philadelphia. Hell i know a lot of people that register their cars in New Jersey and insure their vehicle as such just because you ARE A LOT CHEAPER THAN US> You aint even close to philadelphia and new york in what you pay. 2000 a year for two cars isnt shit compared to us. No infractions and liability only on my ranger (commercial is 1800 a year). Wifes car full coverage is like 1478 a year with zero points on record and we are both over 50. So we are paying over 3200 a year with full coverage on one and minimum on one.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

It also depends on where in NJ you are.

When I lived in Hudson County, I paid almost $4k a year for one car, one driver (I was under 25) with no accidents.

When I moved to Morris County, it dropped in half. When I got married (was still under 25), it dropped in half again.

Now I pay $950/yr for my wife's SUV with full coverage, very high limits and low deductible. (My car is a company vehicle so they pay insurance for it ...)