This is a sub-selection from Courts
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to vpoko

to vpoko

Re: Courts

Actually no you do not have to know. Such as what I started with the 7-11 story. If the driver has no clue a murder is being done while waiting on friend, said driver can be charged and normally is for murder even though he was in the car. Courts have been doing that for YEARS and it works for the courts. That is my basis on this subject. Regardless if the HSI account holder knows or not, under US Law, they should charged/sued. it doesn't make sense for it to happen in one case and not another.
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher

So if were at a shooting range and I loan you my gun to shoot at the range and you accidentally shoot someone, will I get charged for letting you use that gun? Most likely not.... So it kinda goes against your original analogy.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Not the same as the others.

JackKane
@covad.net

JackKane to Trencher

Anon

to Trencher
Actually, yes. In a case where you lend your car to someone, even if they have appropriate insurance (as does your vehicle), an accident victim could go after the vehicle owner and his assets. It's not criminal, but they could claim negligence and given good lawyering, they would win.

At a gun range people sign waivers, but basically an owner of an item could be found negligent even if he did not commit the crime. With HSI, there is a contract between the user and the ISP that you will not hold them liable for any of your actions (there may be Safe Harbor laws and so forth, I don't know the details). There are no contracts between your open hotspot and anonymous users, and it's likely to be a violation of your contract to willfully allow others to use your connection. Best defense would be ignorance, I would think.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to hottboiinnc4

MVM

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

Actually no you do not have to know. Such as what I started with the 7-11 story. If the driver has no clue a murder is being done while waiting on friend, said driver can be charged and normally is for murder even though he was in the car.

Can you cite case law?
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Yeah, charging someone for a crime they didn't commit is never right. The courts can do something for years like enforce slavery and still be dead wrong.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko to hottboiinnc4

Premium Member

to hottboiinnc4
I'd be very curious to see a reference for this case. The principle of mens rea requires that one have knowledge of the act (though not necessarily the law) to be criminally charged. It's a bit more lax with civil law, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts there was more to the 7-11 case than you think.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
Of course you can charge them. But that is based on the courts accepting that you can actually prove that they knew about the activity. You can not be convicted of murder when it is proven that you had no idea what was going on.

No different that the courts allowing this case to be brought. Based on the supposition that they can prove the WiFi owner had some knowledge or otherwise responsibility. Which they seem to be failing to prove.
« ummmWhere do we stop? »
This is a sub-selection from Courts