share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 edits

[FireFox] Why am I getting this?

Firefox 10 ESR. I want to download to disk (not run)Flash Player exe.installer 11.4.402.278. When I go to do so, Fx asks me if I want to REPLACE the file.

(1) I don't have this version's installer downloaded to disk. I have 11.3.300.271 as the latest version saved to disk.

(2) What happened to Fx simply downloading it as copy number 2?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

You have a setting screwed up in Options - Application.
Either set it to Always Ask, Save File, or Other.

This depends on the file type so make changes to all file types you download as you see fit.

*If you have any extensions installed dealing with file download handling you are on your own to check what options you have set.

--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

It is set to ask. It asked and I told it to save the file not run it. Then it said that file already existed on the disk and asked if I wanted to replace it. That is what seemed odd. It should not have mattered to Fx if I had 1 copy or 10 of that file already in the designated folder for downloads. Some other browsers will not just download another copy but will force you to either rename the file or replace the the copy you already have. I have always liked that Fx will just download another copy.

I tried twice and got that. The second time was after I searched for the file and, as I already thought, I did not have a copy of the file so it was even more strange that Fx would want to replace the file.

I then downloaded it on Fx 4, put it in a shared folder, and then went to the virtual machine and installed it from the shared folder. Later, I tried again to download the file on Fx 10 and was asked if I wanted to run or save the file. I said save and it downloaded. So, I am puzzled what happened those first two times when it wanted to replace a non-existent file.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

Perhaps a downloaded files history entry was causing the issue.

Clear all the download entries and test it out.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

That's a good point and could be the cause. But since it stopped doing it, I'm not sure clearing that and then trying would test anything. But I should clear those downloaded entries anyway.
--

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

You know what you should do is reset the applications download feature.

Go into your profile folder and rename mimeTypes.rdf to mimeTypes.rdf_old and move it to your desktop.

When you open Fx again a new mimeTypes.rdf will be created and you can either go into Options - Applications and reset the defaults or just wait until you download a file and tell Fx how you want to handle it.
--