Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

teddystacker

join:2001-12-08
Philadelphia, PA
reply to SpHeRe31459

Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

I can confirm I have been using My DCX 3400 , with a External 2TB Drive connected (Yes 2TB) for about Two months now , with ZERO issues of any kind - for more details see my posts in this and other threads

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by teddystacker:

I can confirm I have been using My DCX 3400 , with a External 2TB Drive connected (Yes 2TB) for about Two months now , with ZERO issues of any kind - for more details see my posts in this and other threads

I'm guessing you have A30? Man I really want that! I'm jealous!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

teddystacker

Philadelphia, PA
reply to tirebiter
@FifthE1ement

Yes , I just wanted to give it a try , some here on the forums were a little wary 2TB would work on a reliable basis. But thought it was worth giving it a try.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to jsirgey
said by jsirgey :

said by telcodad:

said by jsirgey :

I have the 3400m anyroom DVR box, and have had nothing but lockups since i hooked up the DVR extender, I'd probably hold off getting the extender if you are tied to the 3400m box for now.

Well, the DCX3400 and DCX3400M models are not currently on Comcast's official list of supported DVRs for use with external hard drives »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···storage/ and there was a post in the Comcast Help and Support Forum about issues with those particular ones: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···9#M58912

I realize it's not supported hence me saying wait until it is. I was just stating that I have had nothing but issues with it and I've seen nothing explicitly stating the anyroom did or didnt have lockup issues. It's awesome to have all the extra space available, but when you have to pull the plug once a day to fix lockups, your guide data always being "to be announced" gets old pretty quick.

BTW - The latest update on a fix to use an external hard drive with DCX3400s:

From ComcastTeds
4-2-2013 11:41 AM

Motorola has been working with engineering builds of the fix for this and so far things look good. Motorola and Comcast will continue to test this proposed fix for a few more weeks before it gets put into a targeted bundled update (timing still TBD, but expected to be this year).

Thanks for your patience.

MalibuMaxx
Premium
join:2007-02-06
Chesterton, IN
reply to tirebiter
Pretty sure South Bend Indiana area got this update today. I seen the new channel switch box... but haven't connected my external yet... Will see and purchase a bigger drive today if this came through to my area.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits
said by MalibuMaxx:

Pretty sure South Bend Indiana area got this update today. I seen the new channel switch box... but haven't connected my external yet... Will see and purchase a bigger drive today if this came through to my area.

While having the A30 guide update is one requirement, the eSATA port also has to be activated in your area.

According the the latest (March 29th) update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···9-13.pdf posted by Comcast, it says this feature is available in "most all Comcast areas of Indiana (except for the South Bend area)."

If you get an "Alert 08" indication when you connect the external drive, that indicates that the DVR's eSATA port has not been activated yet.

EDIT: The link to the latest update on the activated areas can be found on the "External DVR Storage" page »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···storage/ on the Comcast Customer Support site.

MalibuMaxx
Premium
Chesterton, IN
Thanks going to try it after work here... Still wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work but at least we're seeing progress now... Where before we weren't on the newest version...

MalibuMaxx
Premium
Chesterton, IN
reply to telcodad
yea it didn't work so not surprising... I thought they said early 2013... we're starting to move to the middle of 2013 now... they got 2 months left... then I will go to a cablecard setup... sick of waiting...

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
FYI - According to the the latest (April 18th) update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···8-13.pdf posted by Comcast, it shows that external hard drives are now supported in all areas of Mississippi, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and states that "customers in DC, MD and VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of May 13."

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to teddystacker
said by teddystacker:

I have been around long enough to know that people do not usually like "cross posting" in different threads , but I have done so here as I think this info will be of great interest to those that want to add a external drive to their Motorola DCX3400 DVR and also people that do not want to buy the "official" (and more expensive) extender..

OK , so we got the A30 Guide update here in NE Philly (19111) around Tue 22nd 2013.

I have Motorola DVD DCX3400 , it is not listed on the "supported" list of DVR's that Comcast issued a while ago , but still thought I would give it a try after reading the other posts at this thread and some others.

I used a old 1TB WD Green Series SATA 11 hard Disk that I had laying around my workshop , and also a $30 USB Enclosure that also has a ESATA port on it.

All works Perfectly , as soon as the drive spun up , a message came on screen and asked me if I wanted to format the External drive , I said YES , and this took about 10 seconds. My available space for recordings on the DVR then dropped from 47% to 9%!

I then installed a 2Tb Seagate Hard disk into the enclosure that I also had spare and my available space went from 47% to just 5%!

All new recordings from that point on, were made to the New 1.0TB drive , if this drive is switched off and you try and play those "new" recordings , a message on screen prompts you to switch on/connect the external drive (it says the Hard disk model number).If you do this, the recordings then play perfectly.

All previous recordings you made before you installed the external drive are available when the external is switched off and play perfectly.

So to conclude:

1) You do not have to use the WD Extender "approved" external drive - you can just use a El cheapo external enclosure as long as it has a external ESATA port on it. I tried it with both a 1.0TB WD Drive and a Seagate 2.0TB Drive , both worked perfectly.

2) All works perfectly (for me anyway) as along as you have the New A30 guide on the Motorola DCX3400.

3) If the External hard disk breaks down or you have to swap out the main DVR for any reason, you will loose any recordings you have made on the external hard drive (as the recordings made on the external are tied to the serial number of the DVR) - but that's just the risk we take I guess.. but its a risk I am very willing to take,in order to have 2.35 TB of recording space compared to the pathetic 350gb I had before.. in my case this cost me very little as I had the hard disk and enclosure laying around doing nothing.

Please feel free to ask any questions...

So I'm lost, does the DCX3400 use the internal hard drive at all? When the drive fills up, does it then use the internal? So a 1TB is the largest you've tried, can you (or have you since then) try larger or has anyone tried larger?

said by teddystacker:

Yep , what Andy says is correct , as long as that HD was formatted on that exact box you can swap them around. The actually program listing data is stored on the internal HD so when you go to play a recording from your list that was made upon Drive A and you have Drive B connected , you will get a prompt on screen asking you to insert Drive A.

One thing I have to test now is if the buffer size increases , being as I have added a external drive. I suspect (do not know for sure) that the buffer file is created on the internal drive , so this may not increase if you add a external drive. I will report back my findings after some more testing.

Did the buffer get bigger?

said by teddystacker:

I for one have always been the type that "pushes the boundaries" of our Electrical equipment , and just loves to find its un documented features etc , often these people at tech support know far less than us forum type guys do , as they never use the device in the real world. But I also respect that not everyone is tech savvy and prefers to just plug n play a off the shelf device.

Will report back here any issues I find using the 2tb drive I have hooked up so it will benefit other users..

Have you found any bugs, had any other issues with recordings or otherwise? What happens when the power goes out, can you still access the recordings? How many hours of shows can you get on it? On a DCX3400 with a 1TB drive I was able to get approx 160-200 hours of HD content. Approx 400+ hours of SD content. How has everything worked thus far, just basically update on how everything is going as you have had it for quite some time now?

Thanks again,

5th
--

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

FYI - According to the the latest (April 18th) update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···8-13.pdf posted by Comcast, it shows that external hard drives are now supported in all areas of Mississippi, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and states that "customers in DC, MD and VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of May 13."

Do you have any facts (lol ) on when South Florida will get A30 or any other info? In my area if you have the whole house DVR they give you the OSD 2.0. I would just love to be able to plug in an external hard drive and get more space!

Thanks in advance,

5th
--

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by FifthE1ement:

Do you have any facts (lol ) on when South Florida will get A30 or any other info? In my area if you have the whole house DVR they give you the OSD 2.0. I would just love to be able to plug in an external hard drive and get more space!

Oh 5th... you should know this by now... if you're in area that has OSG 2.0 then that means you're in an SA/Cisco area, so A30 doesn't apply to you.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to FifthE1ement
.....and if you are in a cisco-SA area the external hard drive will already work.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

4 edits
reply to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by FifthE1ement:

Oh 5th... you should know this by now... if you're in area that has OSG 2.0 then that means you're in an SA/Cisco area, so A30 doesn't apply to you.

From this old thread I found on the (Moto) i-Guide A28 upgrades »South Florida Guide Upgrades!? i-Guide A28? it seems FifthE1ement See Profile (and most of South Florida) is in a Motorola area. I'm not sure why he mentioned OSG 2.0, as I thought that A28 or A30 supported AnyRoom on Moto DVRs? See: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···1#M46347

5th: As far as the current deployment status for A30 goes, my info on that came from the posts from joejoejeo See Profile on the i-Guide A30 thread »iGuide A30 Unfortunately he hasn't posted any updates since November 29th.

EDIT: From this Engadget article, it looks like the AnyRoom DVRs had the A28 Guide when they were introduced back in 2010: »www.engadget.com/2010/07/01/comc···ives-wi/

EDIT2: OK, from this recent post in another thread, it appears that it was A28 that introduced AnyRoom service for Moto DVRs: »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

teddystacker

Philadelphia, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FifthE1ement
@ FifthE1ement

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the internal is still used (its stores the names of the shows etc) and yes the shows are stored on the EXTERNAL until that fills up. so if you record a show that shows up on your recorded show list and you then unplug the External , you will still see it listed , but you will be prompted to "plug in drive blah blah" , when you go to play a show. Yes, I have had a 2TB External Drive (mounted in a metal housing) (I listed the actual drive details either in this thread or another thread) - works Flawless for me so far.

2) No , it does not appear the buffer has got any larger..

3) So far I have not had any bugs or glitches (some on this thread warned over and over that I might) but I really can say nothing so far in at least the two months since I installed the drive.

When the power goes out (does not happen in Philly metro , but I tested) , I just rebooted drive and DVR and everything is fine.

As to how much content , well I only record HD content and I have a Sh**load on there right now (at least 120 "How its made" shows) + all my wifes stuff and we are only at 20% full.

To sum up , have had it installed over two months , not seen a glitch , very happy. But I doubt I will say that if the drive goes AWOL and I loose it all , but that's the risk you always take when storing lots of data without a backup. The drive is being used much more than it was (just sitting on my work bench).

Please feel free to ask any other questions , always happy to aid other users , and test "real world" applications , rather than what Comcast or WD tell you the unit can do (that don't very often know what they are talking about anyway) , I like to find out myself and pass on the info..

Teddy

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to SpHeRe31459
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by FifthE1ement:

Yeah sorry my brain went there. I was watching Defiance last night on top of doing some other work on my computer and posting here all at the same time. I made a few other errors which I caught later in this forum too. I'm in a Motorola area with the A28 guide and AnyRoom and Skype are available in my area.

I meant to ask if it were true that OSG 2.0 might come to Moto areas bypassing OSG 3.0 (XX) and the X1 due to the severe issues they have been having. I heard from a tech installer friend of mine that Comcast was toying with the idea of simply installing OSG 2.0 everywhere until they could get the X1 or OSG 3 ready as those will probably be delayed until 2014+! He also said that Comcast is getting killed in customer service and usability and the execs were pissed that On Demand is doing horribly and in most areas less than like 10% of users ever use it. Basically I think Comcast is mad that OnDemand navigation sucks and this would be a quick way to get at least that working better. Again I'm not sure if this will happen and neither was he a she had been told by his boss, of what his boss was told, etc. Has anyone else heard anything else about this? I remember reading something not too long ago about Comcast's OnDemand selling much worse than any of the other providers by a lot. It just sounds odd to hear about this now and not have any truth to it?

telcodad, see above as same for your posts but thank you. I know the last time I went to my friends house he had the A28 guide with the Motorola AnyRoom setup (One DCX3400M with two DCX3200M's as the satellites).

said by teddystacker:

@ FifthE1ement

1) Yes, the internal is still used (its stores the names of the shows etc) and yes the shows are stored on the EXTERNAL until that fills up. so if you record a show that shows up on your recorded show list and you then unplug the External , you will still see it listed , but you will be prompted to "plug in drive blah blah" , when you go to play a show. Yes, I have had a 2TB External Drive (mounted in a metal housing) (I listed the actual drive details either in this thread or another thread) - works Flawless for me so far.

3) So far I have not had any bugs or glitches (some on this thread warned over and over that I might) but I really can say nothing so far in at least the two months since I installed the drive.

When the power goes out (does not happen in Philly metro , but I tested) , I just rebooted drive and DVR and everything is fine.

As to how much content , well I only record HD content and I have a Sh**load on there right now (at least 120 "How its made" shows) + all my wifes stuff and we are only at 20% full.

To sum up , have had it installed over two months , not seen a glitch , very happy. But I doubt I will say that if the drive goes AWOL and I loose it all , but that's the risk you always take when storing lots of data without a backup. The drive is being used much more than it was (just sitting on my work bench).

Please feel free to ask any other questions , always happy to aid other users , and test "real world" applications , rather than what Comcast or WD tell you the unit can do (that don't very often know what they are talking about anyway) , I like to find out myself and pass on the info..

Teddy

Wow, teddy thanks for answering my question so quickly and so detailed!

1. What I meant to ask is what if you have a 500GB model and you put a 2TB external on, I know system files (of course) will stay on the internal drive but I want to know what happens when you fill up the 2TB drive (which in theory should give you aprox 320 to 400 hours (friggin mind blowing)? From your older post you said something about having "2.35 TB" which is the 320GB plus the 2TB drive. Have you tried this yet? EG: Do the recordings all function the same? Like if you last recoding filled up the external (2TB) and then you recorded a new show and it was put on the internal (320GB)? Are there any icons or anything in the guide to denote if a recoding is on the external or internal dives?

2. The buffer for HD is approx a half hour. Same for you? SD content I thought was like an hour or 90 mins I believe, but I'm not sure anymore as I haven't watched an SD show in years.

3. That's excellent that you haven't had any bugs or anything. That is odd since Comcast excluded the DCX3400 because of bugs. Perhaps the issue was related to certain manufacturer brands of hard drives? I read on another post that the issue is now fixed and should be included in an update soon? Maybe you have the fix, lol.

4. When I asked about the power going out I meant to say if the power and cable go out what happens? In most areas now, unless your box is almost full and giving the "capacity notification" message, there is no way to view the recordings until you get a cable signal again basically unlocking the box. Which sucks as sometimes when you have hurricanes or other issues where your cable goes out and the power you are out of luck sometimes for days or weeks until everything is working. And it makes it even worse knowing all the recordings are on the box just waiting to be watched. The only workaround like I said above is that if your box is almost full you simply press the record button which brings up the error message and that allows you to view the recordings you have to manage them (delete them to make room for more), however from within this menu you can view any recordings you want even if you have no cable signal and the box has just come back on. This drives many nuts as back a few years ago if the power and cable went off you would simply press the DVR button and watch your recordings until your cable came back on. It stopped being possible when Comcast changed the DVR button designation to go to the "DVR menu" instead of "My Recordings". Does this also happen on your setup? To test it, unplug the box (when your not recording anything or watching anything important, lol) and while unplugged just remove the cable wire. Then plug the box back in and see what you can access. I'm curious as to what happens on the OSG 2.0? I don't expect anything on the X1 as they have issues getting the local DVR to work when the internet goes out, lol.

5. That number is amazing for capacity space! I wonder if it's 100% accurate with the external drive plugged in? Has anyone been able to test this? Teddy have you not filled it to capacity yet, lol? I seem to fill my boxes up very quickly as I always like to save my fav movies on my DVR for quick viewing, even if I have them on Bluray/DVD.

6. Have you noticed the 2TB drive is now a lot louder than before? I remember my friend had a 1TB installed in his DCX3400 and it was much louder than the 320GB. The sound was noticeably louder and a little annoying in a quiet room or with the TV volume very low.

Thanks teddy, telco the q, sphere and all who took the time to read this,

5th
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by FifthE1ement:

said by SpHeRe31459:

said by FifthE1ement:

Yeah sorry my brain went there. I was watching Defiance last night on top of doing some other work on my computer and posting here all at the same time. I made a few other errors which I caught later in this forum too. I'm in a Motorola area with the A28 guide and AnyRoom and Skype are available in my area.

I meant to ask if it were true that OSG 2.0 might come to Moto areas bypassing OSG 3.0 (XX) and the X1 due to the severe issues they have been having. I heard from a tech installer friend of mine that Comcast was toying with the idea of simply installing OSG 2.0 everywhere until they could get the X1 or OSG 3 ready as those will probably be delayed until 2014+!

I don't know if due to the problems with OSG 3.0 (X1), that Comcast is now thinking about using OSG 2.0 in Motorola markets, but this is what they have last "officially" said (»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog) ):
On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short-term bridge for us to deliver AnyRoom DVR and an improved experience to some limited Cisco markets while the X1 Experience was getting ready for wide deployment. Many features, functionality and customer feedback from On-Screen Guide 2.0 were fine-tuned and included in the X1 Experience.

We don't have any additional areas where we will be moving ahead with On-Screen Guide 2.0.
As far as I know, OSG 2.0 was/is only used in SA/Cisco areas for providing AnyRoom DVR service in them.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

2 edits

1 recommendation

We're getting OT from the Motorola DVR extender topic...

They basically quickly turned out OSG 2.0 as a stepping stone to X1, in fact if you look at the OSG 2.0 UI you can see where they were basically making an "X1 lite" as a testing ground. They've made it very clear that X1 is where all the resources are going now.

As an aside, OSG 2.0 would be just as much of a hassle to deploy as X1 since it is also a modern OCAP/Tru2way middleware guide, so the same major issues of basically reformatting and reinstalling the cable boxes OS would be true of OSG 2.0. So Comcast wouldn't be too keen on doing that twice to consumers in the span of a year or two (once for OSG 2.0 and then again later for X1).

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to tirebiter
In all sincerity I don't see the X1 guide being pushed to and of the DCX/RNG models till 2015 or later. And that is if it ever makes it to those boxes which I think is 50/50. Comcast I believe will rather spend the resources on the newer boxes and simply let the old ones die on iGuide. Mark it!

Back on topic, why do you think they aren't using larger 2TB hard drives or at least 1TB drives especially in the anyroom setups? It used to drive me nuts that years ago Comcast would use 120GB hard drive when 500GB ones were so cheap. Also today most boxes still have 320GB when 2TB or larger (or at the very least 1TB) is the norm in everything out there. I personally think it's because of the sound issue with the drives. I've installed a 1TB in a DCX before and the noise was considerable. I think the boxes are getting so small that they'll have to start using SSD drives or other flash memories which are still too expensive for DVR use. But eventually the boxes will be all quite with SSD/flash drives of 1TB and tiny to boot. I'm also surprised they don't include tiny flash memory chips in the non-DVR's to have an Instant Replay feature without a complete DVR. I mean a half hour buffer would be amazing and give them an edge over the competition. Users could pause shows or rewind something they missed and Comcast would have to spend next to nothing to do it. It's like innovation is severely lacking at Comcast/Xfinity. I mean they changed their friggin name rather than trying to fix their main core company issues.

5th
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

FYI - According to the latest (April 18th) update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···8-13.pdf posted by Comcast, it shows that external hard drives are now supported in all areas of Mississippi, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and states that "customers in DC, MD and VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of May 13."

Thanks in advance,

5th

According to this new, April 26th update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···6-13.pdf "customers in FL are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of June 3" so if you don't have the A30 guide yet, it should be delivered to you soon.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

FYI - According to the latest (April 18th) update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···8-13.pdf posted by Comcast, it shows that external hard drives are now supported in all areas of Mississippi, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, and states that "customers in DC, MD and VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated the week of May 13."

The latest update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···0-13.pdf now says that "customers in DC, MD & VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated in June."

It also states that customers in Florida are still scheduled to have it activated the week of June 3rd.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by telcodad:

said by telcodad:

The latest update »media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···0-13.pdf now says that "customers in DC, MD & VA are currently scheduled to have this feature activated in June."

It also states that customers in Florida are still scheduled to have it activated the week of June 3rd.

I wonder if that means they will update us (Florida) to A30 then too?

5th
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
Yes, having the A30 guide update is one requirement for being able to use an external HD, the other is that the eSATA port has to be activated by Comcast in your area for your DVR also.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

BTW - The latest update on a fix to use an external hard drive with DCX3400s:

From ComcastTeds
4-2-2013 11:41 AM

Motorola has been working with engineering builds of the fix for this and so far things look good. Motorola and Comcast will continue to test this proposed fix for a few more weeks before it gets put into a targeted bundled update (timing still TBD, but expected to be this year).

Thanks for your patience.

Today's status update on the fix for the DCX3400:

From ComcastTeds
5-20-2013 1:25 PM

It took some time to replicate the intermittent and inconsistent issue in a monitored lab environment where our teams plus the Motorola teams are able to pull logs and diagnostics.

The issue has been identified and the correction is being written into the Motorola firmware code. The teams then need to test the updated firmware in the labs and in the field to be sure that this correction is accurate and also does not negatively impact any other feature or function. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the delay. We expect to have the solution available this year.

Once I have an estimated timeframe, I will be sure and share it here.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad
said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

5th

said by telcodad:

Yes, having the A30 guide update is one requirement for being able to use an external HD, the other is that the eSATA port has to be activated by Comcast in your area for your DVR also.

According to this post »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M75607 today, Florida is still scheduled to have it activated by the end of this week.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to teddystacker
said by teddystacker:

@ FifthE1ement

Teddy

Hey Teddy we finally got the A30 update in South Florida but I don't know if the eSATA port is active or not. I think it used to appear in the hidden menu? Below is a post I made in another thread on here but maybe you could tell me if eSATA is active or showing in your boxes diagnostic Interface / Port Status page? I tried to connect a USB external hard drive via a eSATA to USB cable but it didn't work. I just want to make sure they have enabled support before I put down $100+ on a new drive. I've been experiencing some bugs on the new OS with remote lag or the IR getting stuck for many seconds? You ever get that? Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't? On the old OS this would usually happen after the box had been on for a long time and it would get progressively worse (or so it seemed). Thanks for any answers Teddy!

Post below from (similar to this post about A30 guide):

»iGuide A30

"A30 has finally hit South Florida! Whoot whoot! All DCX3400's updated tonight at 3am EST! The box info now says:

S/W Ver: 80.48 - a30.1210.r-27
Model: ASTB-0x0805
Firmware: 24.37

The model number is weird, no? It used to say DCT as the model. Is there anyway to tell if eSTATA recoding has been enabled? I tried it but it doesn't seem to be working? When I go into the Power Off then quickly OK/select button and navigate to Interface / Port Status it used to have an eSTATA port option I believe which is now gone? The update added Dolby Volume, brightness dimmer for LED screen on front of box, 1080P pass-though, subtitles now in the menu (rather than hidden in hidden box settings), auto power down (hard drive or no input?), new HD logo on channels, guide and show info, Xfinity TV que looks to be similar to Netflix que (can set shows to watch and have it notify you or find the show for you automatically (pretty cool but implementation is bad), I can now view, delete, etc my recordings in the MyDVR manager rather than just what was to be recorded later and series priority (although it's not working yet as I don't think the boxes have synced yet?), zoom feature works, remote control from the web (although its slow laggy and buggy all at once), channel input number and name is cool (when you type a number it tells you the channel identifier eg: 301 HBOHD although Comcast identifiers are vague and small do you know what MMAX is, lol), guide is always in 4:3 even on 480 channels (old version had 16:9 on 480 content), new message when deleting shows from saved list on VOD.

No joke Comcast said in the External DVR PDF file that Florida would be added on June 3rd and dang were they on the money for once! My main question is that I want to get a DVR expander but it says on the Comcast site that the DCX3400 is not supported yet some of you have it working? I think they may have disabled the eSATA which is why it doesn't appear in the list in the hidden menu?

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···4-13.pdf

Thanks in advance,

5th"
--

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

How can I tell if it's been activated?

said by telcodad:

said by FifthE1ement:

said by telcodad:

5th

said by telcodad:

According to this post »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···7#M75607 today, Florida is still scheduled to have it activated by the end of this week.

Lol, they were dead on as Comcast activated it June 3rd at 3am!

5th
--

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

Hey Teddy we finally got the A30 update in South Florida but I don't know if the eSATA port is active or not. I think it used to appear in the hidden menu? Below is a post I made in another thread on here but maybe you could tell me if eSATA is active or showing in your boxes diagnostic Interface / Port Status page? I tried to connect a USB external hard drive via a eSATA to USB cable but it didn't work. I just want to make sure they have enabled support before I put down $100+ on a new drive. I've been experiencing some bugs on the new OS with remote lag or the IR getting stuck for many seconds? You ever get that? Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't? On the old OS this would usually happen after the box had been on for a long time and it would get progressively worse (or so it seemed). Thanks for any answers Teddy!
:

Thanks in advance,

5th"

5th, I thought you said you had the DCX3400 DVR, for which an external HD is not currently supported: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···9#M58912

Comcast may not be enabling the eSATA ports on that model to avoid issues and trouble calls.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to FifthE1ement
said by FifthE1ement:

How can I tell if it's been activated?

Lol, they were dead on as Comcast activated it June 3rd at 3am!

5th

If you have the A30 Guide update, but the eSATA port has not yet been enabled by Comcast, you will get an "08-Alert account not authorized to use external storage" error message when you try to connect the hard drive.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by FifthE1ement:

:

Thanks in advance,

5th"

5th, I thought you said you had the DCX3400 DVR, for which an external HD is not currently supported: »forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···9#M58912

Comcast may not be enabling the eSATA ports on that model to avoid issues and trouble calls.

Teddy from previous posts in this thread has a DCX3400 with an external DVR with no issues thus far. He also tested with a 1TB and even a 2TB with no issues. So I figured it should work maybe by me. I just wondered if there was a way to tell if the eSATA port was active without spending the money to buy the external eSATA drive?

5th
--