SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to tirebiter

Premium Member

to tirebiter

Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

Wow I thought hell would have to freeze over before they bothered to enable eSATA support on the Moto boxes. I'd sure like to extend the space on my DVR without having to play "box lottery" at my local office and loose all my existing recordings due needing to get a new box, etc.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 recommendation

rendrenner

said by SpHeRe31459:

Wow I thought hell would have to freeze over before they bothered to enable eSATA support on the Moto boxes. I'd sure like to extend the space on my DVR without having to play "box lottery" at my local office and loose all my existing recordings due needing to get a new box, etc.

If you use the WD drive through the eSATA port, and you have to swap DVR's you will lose your recordings. Soon as you plug it into the new box it requests a reformat.
jwhite4
join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

jwhite4

said by rendrenner:

said by SpHeRe31459:

If you use the WD drive through the eSATA port, and you have to swap DVR's you will lose your recordings. Soon as you plug it into the new box it requests a reformat.

From the Comcast link:

Will I lose the recordings on my Comcast DVR once I connect an external hard drive?
All recordings on your Comcast DVR will still be available after you connect an external hard drive

Not sure which is correct.

puckhater
@cablebahamas.net

puckhater

Anon

Both are correct. Any existing recordings on the DVR will remain but any recordings or data on the external drive will be lost
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to jwhite4

to jwhite4
said by jwhite4:

said by rendrenner:

said by SpHeRe31459:

From the Comcast link:

Will I lose the recordings on my Comcast DVR once I connect an external hard drive?
All recordings on your Comcast DVR will still be available after you connect an external hard drive

Not sure which is correct.

sounds like you can not move the external drive once it is connected to the comcast dvr....and that you won't lose any existing recordings on the DVR the first time you set it up to the DVR.

From the same link:

Can I move my external hard drive to another Comcast DVR to watch recordings in another room of my home?

Once your external hard drive has been formatted with a specific DVR, it cannot be used to watch recordings on other DVRs in your home. If you plug your external hard drive into another DVR once it has already been formatted, you will be prompted to reformat the external hard drive which will erase all of your recordings.