share rss forum feed

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to ke4pym

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

Just a thought that popped into my head.
If you wanted to move into another house in the next six months (hopefully you don't anytime time soon) would you consider taking the panels with you, or would it be more economical to leave them.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

peasoup42

join:2012-12-26
Ridgecrest, CA
reply to djrobx
@ djrobx...

I noticed you're not too far from me. Would you recommend your installer to others here in the SoCal area? Also, I've tried to go back thru the 9 pages of this thread and never caught how big your setup is. How many panels are you running and what is each panel wattage rating?

Do you have the infamous tile roof or do you have shingle roofing?

Lastly, does your system report it's performance to the internet like the other systems do (a feature I found quite interesting)?

Trying to compare to see what I would be interested in spending to take advantage of solar. Much appreciated!! )

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to ke4pym
How much are you doing now?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to peasoup42
said by peasoup42:

@ djrobx...

I noticed you're not too far from me. Would you recommend your installer to others here in the SoCal area? Also, I've tried to go back thru the 9 pages of this thread and never caught how big your setup is. How many panels are you running and what is each panel wattage rating?

Do you have the infamous tile roof or do you have shingle roofing?

Lastly, does your system report it's performance to the internet like the other systems do (a feature I found quite interesting)?

Trying to compare to see what I would be interested in spending to take advantage of solar. Much appreciated!! )

Definitely. I used REC solar, and they were awesome to work with in every way.

Mine's a 5.3KW (22 panel @240) system. I have a spanish tile roof.

I didn't opt to buy the reporting modules, but it can be added to the inverter. You do get that thrown in if you decide to lease (because the lease company wants to track the output).
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

peasoup42

join:2012-12-26
Ridgecrest, CA
said by djrobx:

Definitely. I used REC solar, and they were awesome to work with in every way.

Mine's a 5.3KW (22 panel @240) system. I have a spanish tile roof.

I didn't opt to buy the reporting modules, but it can be added to the inverter. You do get that thrown in if you decide to lease (because the lease company wants to track the output).

TY for the info and need to check with them to see if they service Tehachapi. I've got the tile roof as well and was worried about the removing of them to facilitate install and then having unexplained leakage as well as the weight of both panels and tiles.

My roof is actually east/west facing and will need them to be tilted to the south for best exposure. Hope that isn't additional because of that setup.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 recommendation

reply to natedj
natedj-->I'd probably leave them. The roof would have to be redone on the back side to patch all the holes.

I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Jack-->See here:
»enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/publ···XD138452

FWIW, I have 23 REC 245w panels for my install. Additional panels will be 250w. Apparently the 245's are hard to get in right now....

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
With the temperature now I'm using about 60 kWh per day as much as you're generating in a week. That's why I can't get the numbers to come out.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
said by Jack_in_VA:

With the temperature now I'm using about 60 kWh per day as much as you're generating in a week. That's why I can't get the numbers to come out.

Keep in mind that this is winter. The sun is low on the horizon, causing shading issues for me. And we also don't have a lot of hours of sun.

This should get better as we get into the new year.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to ke4pym

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install (Update)

Hi Gang.

Wanted to chime in with the 1mWh production update.

Well, I haven't yet quite made 1mWh (982kWh so far). I will cross that threshold tomorrow.

In just under 3 months, too. With some very cloudy and over cast days, it's amazing I've done it this fast.

The trees haven't proved to be too much of an issue. Between 9a-11a production drops off sharply. But aside from that window, the panels are just crazy electric making machines.

Expected peak production was 4.44kw AC (5.62kw DC). I've managed to hit 4.98kw AC so far. Best production day to date was 28kWh last week. I suspect that will double in the coming months.

Carbon offset is clocking in at 1,488lbs and at 982kWh - the ability to power about 32 homes for a day according to the little chart Englighten gives me.

For the month of Feb the panels produced 414kWh of energy. The week of the 15th - 21st was especially bountiful racking up 122kWh of production.

Had some snow on the panels recently. The resulting avalanche was very amusing to say the least.

This month, I should finally have a proper and full billing cycle that I can compare to last year. Duke moved me to a calender month billing cycle with the new meter and I've had 2 partial bills. I would try to guess the savings, but I suck at math. I'll let you know at the 5mW update

Working with the installer to plan out growing the array. Thinking somewhere between 1 and 9 more panels. Depending on pricing. Will probably end up with 5 more panels.

Taxes are being worked on now. Sadly, the government's inability to figure things out has delayed my ability to file. They haven't yet (or just have) released the documents necessary to get the rebates on the solar install.

Just doing some quick guessing, I won't be paying state taxes for a few years.

ke4pym
Premium
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
·ooma
·VOIPO
·Verizon Broadban..
reply to ke4pym

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

Got a full bill, finally. Here's the stats:

Feb1 - Mar1 2013 (28 billing days)
716KWH consumed from the grid (AVG KWH/day = 19)
189KWH delivered to the grid

Billed for 527KWH. $58.85 (+0.22 Renewable energy rider, +1.77 tax) = $60.84.

Usage for the period was 527KWH, 28 days, 19 KWH/AVG/Day for $2.10/day.

The bill does show me last year's usage, I guess for the same 28 day cycle, but as you see in the bill below, it's not quite the same.

The bill says for the same 28 day period last year I used 787KWH, AVG KWH/day was 28 at a cost of $2.95/day.

-------

Feb17 - Mar 20 2012 (32 Days) - closest I could get because of wonky billing cycles.

1046KWH consumed from the grid (AVG KWH/day = 33)

109.90 (+0.49 renewable energy, + $3.31 tax) = $114.56