spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rockpard

join:2012-10-01

[Services] IP-Dslam Upgrades for Rockford IL?

Does anyone have an idea when Rockford IL will be getting any upgrades to DSL service. We now have IP-Dslams in the three CO's in Rockford but for a city this size the three CO's only cover a tiny area of Rockford. It appears that AT&T forgot about Rockford as usual. Those that can get sudo "uverse" only get standard regular DSL speeds. Also are there any deployments of Remote IP-Dslams? We are on a remote Dslam right now and have the elite package. I also presume that since Rockford does not have real uverse at this time our market would be considered rural and would be subject to the possible AT&T sale of rural lines and or remote IP-Dslam upgrade that will be announced on November 7th 2012 to eliminate compitition and Union Employees.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
There is no such thing as pseudo U-verse. There is U-verse with IPTV and U-verse with IPDSLAM.

U-verse Internet with "standard DSL" speeds is ADSL2+ over PTM, without PPPoE (aka, IPDSLAM; though RT IPDSLAM could be either ADSL2+ or VDSL).

"Standard DSL" is ADSL over ATM with PPPoE.

ATM has a higher overhead factor (15%) than PTM (~3%-5%).

"Standard ADSL" at Elite speed has modem sync at 6016kbs/768kbs. Multiplied by .85 that is a measured throughput speed of 5113kbs/652kbs.

"U-verse Internet" (ADSL2+) at Elite speed has modem sync at 6016kbs/768kbs. Multiplied by .95 that is a measured throughput speed of 5715kbs/729kbs. My math is weak here, but it looks like U-verse Internet will be about 8% faster than "standard" DSL.

There would appear to be a cutoff of ~8,000 feet. Farther out you can only get the legacy modem sync speeds, but with an 8% improvement in throughput speed. Closer to the DSLAM would mean faster modem sync.

At the shortest loop length, ADSL is good for max sync at 8192kbs/892kbs. You would rarely see that under normal field conditions.

ADSL2+, OTOH, is good for max sync at 24,000kbs/1400kbs. Again, rarely seen in the field.

At 3,300 feet, my old SBC-issue Siemens SpeedStream 4100 (straight ADSL) could sync with the Sonic.net ADSL2+ DSLAM at ~8000kbs/800kbs. And the new, Sonic.net, LLC-issue Pace 4111N syncs at 18,667kbs/892kbs.

Basically, if they are offering U-verse Internet, it is IPDSLAM, and marginally better than "standard" ADSL at loop lengths in excess of 8,000 feet.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Rockpard

join:2012-10-01
What I mean by Psudo U-verse is U-verse without the video and voip services. In Rockford there are not enough CO plants to serve normal voice services properly let alone data due to very long loop lengths. Rockford was very poorly wired for standard POTS. So to install DSL they just finished in 2006 installing RT's. Very very few people at this time can get U-verse internet in Rockford and those that do are only offered 6mbps. I just wondered if anyone thought that Rockford was still in the running for Vrad U-verse. If not then AT&T might as well just sell the Rockford lines to a company that will try to compete against Comcast. Right now Comcast has Rockford's internet and video services to themselves no question. Everyone I have talked to has dropped their voice services with T and went to Comcast or just wireless. AT&T came to the internet party in Rockford about six years too late! All i know is if I ever get the 45 day notice I will be going to Comcast they are offering 105mbps right now here. And I can use what ever cable modem I want. My bet is that T sells Rockford lines to Frontier as they have the entire surrounding area. I just don't want IP-Dslam service due to the fact you cannot bridge or provide your own equipment. I would like a timetable from them as to if or when that will ever happen.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Rockpard:

What I mean by Psudo U-verse is U-verse without the video and voip services.

"U-verse" is not a technology; it is an AT&T marketing gimmick. It means whatever AT&T wants it to mean. And it is distinctly different from the legacy ADSL served by AT&T since before SBC.

In Rockford there are not enough CO plants to serve normal voice services properly let alone data due to very long loop lengths. Rockford was very poorly wired for standard POTS. So to install DSL they just finished in 2006 installing RT's. Very very few people at this time can get U-verse internet in Rockford and those that do are only offered 6mbps.

And my former residence in San José, California, in the heart of Silicon Valley, qualifies for U-verse Internet; but, at 9,156 feet from the CO, only at 3.0M max. But it would be marginally better than ADSL.

The good news is that a CLEC (Sonic.net, LLC) offers an ADSL2+ service which isn't capped to a profile.

I just wondered if anyone thought that Rockford was still in the running for Vrad U-verse.

Probably not in the short term; AT&T has declared a hiatus in deployment of VRADS.

The company doesn't appear to do long range planning, either.

If not then AT&T might as well just sell the Rockford lines to a company that will try to compete against Comcast. Right now Comcast has Rockford's internet and video services to themselves no question. Everyone I have talked to has dropped their voice services with T and went to Comcast or just wireless.

AT&T has already attempted a sell-off a la Verizon. Unfortunately, the bad experiences of the buyers (FairPoint and Frontier) have chilled their interest. And CenturyLink is having their own problems trying to absorb Qwest. I don't know that there are any other prospective buyers with both the required expertise and capital.

AT&T came to the internet party in Rockford about six years too late!

Comcast came to my San José about three years after I got "Pacific Bell DSL Service".

All i know is if I ever get the 45 day notice I will be going to Comcast they are offering 105mbps right now here. And I can use what ever cable modem I want.

If Comcast offers 105M service here, it is probably two, or three times what I am currently paying for phone and Internet.

My bet is that T sells Rockford lines to Frontier as they have the entire surrounding area.

Frontier is an ILEC in their own right, and likely either had their own copper plant in place there, or bought that plant from Verizon.

I just don't want IP-Dslam service due to the fact you cannot bridge or provide your own equipment. I would like a timetable from them as to if or when that will ever happen.

I had my own reasons for dismissing AT&T (former residence), and not using them at the new one (Sonic.net "Fusion", an ADSL2+ service). If not Sonic.net (only available in California), then DSL Extreme (available in many states; uses standard ADSL over ATM, with PPPoE).

DSLX only offers what AT&T offers in the way of ADSL, and with the same limitations:

»www.dslextreme.com/

May be worth a look.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum