graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to bennyb

Premium Member

to bennyb

Re: Newsgroups being throttled?

I echo what has been said thus far. I was surprised to find slow downs with my newsgroups as well when I upgraded from 6 Mbps DSL to the 28 of cable.

I found 2 bottlenecks that were causing problems for me.

1. My router was old and couldn't handle speeds above 20 Mbps if sustained for any length of time.
Not as likely in your case as your speed test is ok but do try a direct connection to your computer by passing the router (may require a power cycle of the modem as the cable modem likes to attach itself to 1 MAC address). This could help rule out QOS or other router issues.

2. After a short time, even when maxing out connections and connecting to multiple servers at the same time the speed would fluctuate and settle in around 2.5 Mbps. Playing around with the Article Cache Limit seemed to fix the problem. Apparently setting this as high as your computer can handle is idea. I found 256 MB good and 512 MB fixed the problem.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

Where do I find this 'Article Cache Limit'?
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Off the top of my head...

Config > general > near the bottom.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

said by graniterock:

Off the top of my head...
Config > general > near the bottom.

Ah! My mistake. I don't use sabnzbd. I thought it was a router or operating system setting.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
said by graniterock:

2. After a short time, even when maxing out connections and connecting to multiple servers at the same time the speed would fluctuate and settle in around 2.5 Mbps. Playing around with the Article Cache Limit seemed to fix the problem. Apparently setting this as high as your computer can handle is idea. I found 256 MB good and 512 MB fixed the problem.

Hmm, I never had that set in my sabnzb... and I've hit 8.5MB/sec with my Cable & DSL combined in sab, and it doesnt slow down one bit.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

It could be more of an issue for older computers or computers with performance problems (true in my case). I got the suggestion from the sabnzb forums. The results were instant and replicatable.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by graniterock:

It could be more of an issue for older computers or computers with performance problems (true in my case). I got the suggestion from the sabnzb forums. The results were instant and replicatable.

Ah, that's possible. My server is an intel quad core with a 250MB/sec RAID5, so i guess thats why I never had an issue at high speeds.
graniterock
Premium Member
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

1.14 GHz single core, 1.25 GB RAM of questionable quality, sata drive using a PCI controller and windows XP LOL.

There was a time when this computer was pretty good. Now it spends it's retirement years heading in the basement as a media sever. But it definitely amplifies performance issues any software has.