IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[CDV] Xfinity voice unlimited vs unlimited select

I saw something on Comcast's website regarding Xfinity voice unlimited select. I am wondering what the difference is on xfinity voice unlimited vs xfinity voice unlimited select and what are the hardware differences.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I saw something on Comcast's website regarding Xfinity voice unlimited select. I am wondering what the difference is on xfinity voice unlimited vs xfinity voice unlimited select and what are the hardware differences.

If you go to: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· d-select and follow some of the information links, it appears that the "select" service does not support staying active during power failures:
said by Comcast :

Unlimited Select Customers: Comcast does not guarantee that Unlimited Select service will be uninterrupted or compatible with medical monitoring devices, personal emergency alert devices or home detention devices. If you have connected Unlimited Select to one of these devices and there is a power outage to Comcast's network your Unlimited Select service will cease to operate during the power outage preventing inbound or outbound communications to or from one of these devices.

I can't imagine why Comcast would specifically offer a telephone service that is explicitly designed to not work during a power outage (or why anyone would want to use it), but at least they are providing prior warning to potential customer who bother to do the research and find out. Caveat Emptor.

kara
@comcast.net

kara to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
hate to tell but any phone service on emta or gateways only have backup battery that last 5-8hrs if fully charged during powerout, that means you have to use a corded phone that cordless need power just like the modem does to work.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
Maybe unlimited select is offered on systems where the outside plant hardware (nodes, amplifiers, etc) lack backup power. I know Time Warner Cable is notorious for not having backup power on their outside plant. My grandmother up in Maine has Time Warner and they don't use batteries in their phone modems due to the fact the outside plant does not have backup power and Comcast inherited a few Time Warner plants and sold other plants to Time Warner as a part of the Adelphia purchase.