Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan

Re: Two thumbs WAY down on iOS 6...fixed stuff that wasn't broke

said by skeechan:

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)

Do you have to bash Android every chance you get? You might make some friends in the Apple forum, but not anywhere else. Besides, people who own other devices browse here to keep in tune with other tech. That's the case for me, besides owning 2 Macs. I will never own an iPhone again, personally. It just feels limited, which is fine for some, but I am not a typical user. Ever think you just had a crappy Android device? With a million manufacturers and models with different specs, there is bound to be some, but some are rock solid and kick the hell out of the iPhone in terms of speed. My relatively inexpensive Burst does just that(compared to the 4S that was out when I bought it, but not yet the 5). Plus, development support from the community let me fix the few issues I did have without waiting. I regularly stream x264 mkv files to it without a hiccup. Hence, my need to call you out on your Android bashing. No OS walks on water, so no need to be constantly bashing. iOS is not my taste, but you don't see me doing that. Apple is a good company and I love OS X(though Linux even better). I just wish they'd get away from suing and back to developing, like in the Jobs era(RIP).

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

Android bash? It does choke on everything I rip. It is a convoluted mess. Welcome to ATM. You want to gWorship, there's a forum for that.

Perhaps you should actually read a few posts in my post history before lipping off. If you had bothered to read you would know I own multiple android devices including the Asus Transformer Infinity TF700T, the best android tablet on the planet (IMHO) in addition to a Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0 and a Xoom WiFi...no I don't buy shit devices....they just come that way. You would know I browse the Android forum giving help when I can, not pissing on their parade about their choices like they do in ATM. You would know I have things I like about them like Motorola's support and things I don't like horrid language support on the Xoom and 5" Galaxy Player and sub-standard build quality. You may have come across my 2 reviews on android devices. But alas, you can't be bothered with such trivial things like actually looking at a post history before commenting on a post history.

Meanwhile, did you so quickly forget what the title of this thread is? Did you so quickly forget who started this thread? And there are no shortage of threads like it. When something sucks like pOS6, I'm not going to sugar coat it. And the thread title I made pretty clear. If you are so easily offended, you are free to skip it.

Cheese
Premium Member
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

Cheese to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
said by Selenia:

said by skeechan:

A6 makes pOS6 way snappier, night and day compared to the A4 and yay, unlike iPhone 4, iPhone 5 can play the same 1080P rips used by my iPad 3...no more having to make 2 rips (except for Android which chokes on everything I rip)

Do you have to bash Android every chance you get? You might make some friends in the Apple forum, but not anywhere else. Besides, people who own other devices browse here to keep in tune with other tech. That's the case for me, besides owning 2 Macs. I will never own an iPhone again, personally. It just feels limited, which is fine for some, but I am not a typical user. Ever think you just had a crappy Android device? With a million manufacturers and models with different specs, there is bound to be some, but some are rock solid and kick the hell out of the iPhone in terms of speed. My relatively inexpensive Burst does just that(compared to the 4S that was out when I bought it, but not yet the 5). Plus, development support from the community let me fix the few issues I did have without waiting. I regularly stream x264 mkv files to it without a hiccup. Hence, my need to call you out on your Android bashing. No OS walks on water, so no need to be constantly bashing. iOS is not my taste, but you don't see me doing that. Apple is a good company and I love OS X(though Linux even better). I just wish they'd get away from suing and back to developing, like in the Jobs era(RIP).

Hesmadbro....

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

2 edits

Selenia to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
No I just been watching your posting for a while. I been a lurker and occasional poster here for a long time. I noticed your habit more than once. If you would said X model phone chokes on everything you rip then it would be factual. Just like it would be factual to say the original iPhone chokes on everything I rip but would not be true for the iPhone 5. But to say Android chokes on everything you rip is making the same kind of broad generalization as saying iphones choke on everything I rip, even though that would only be true for older generation iPhones. That kind of thing is more hardware and codec dependent. It is not so much a factor of the operating system. Maybe the fact that I installed a high quality codec on my phone helps. The dual core 1.5 gigahertz processor probably doesn't hurt either.

Actually if you're going to write me off as a fan of anything, write me off as a fan of BSD and Linux. In my honest opinion, Android is the biggest mess to come from Unix roots. But it is manageable for me and configurable enough unlike other things, for me. So I m sticking with it until something better comes along.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Then you obviously haven't been lurking long enough. I've explained on multiple occasions in various threads the circumstances where I have trouble with video on Android.

Meanwhile don't forget this is ATM. If you want to read about my experiences and reviews about Android, go to the Android forum. I'm not going to go in depth about transcoding for Android, getting language support on my devices, Android frame dropping like a big dog, rooting my devices, getting them updated to JB, or anything else in ATM.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Read the last paragraph I added to get some perspective about me. I ripped the same for all my devices. High quality mkv files encoded at 720 or 1080p(depends how much space I wanna devote to a video) using the X264 codec. As I said this has little to do with the operating system and more to do with the hardware and codecs. The included codecs on Android vary greatly, but fortunately can be substituted for something better. It's the same on all iPhones. Luckily, they have decent codec support built for their hardware. Not sure if you can upgrade the codec support on an iPhone because I've never seen anybody try. On Android it's an easy fix if it's in fact broken by your manufacturer.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

That's the thing...I'm not interested in having to "fix" Android. It should play high profile 1080P MKV or 1080P MP4 out of the box without frame dropping like a big dog and it does neither. 1080P MP4 files my iPhone 5 play without issue, my TF700 with it's 1.6GHz quad core T33 can't. My library is largely MP4 and everything I own plays 1080P MP4 without issue, iPhone 5, Apple TV, Mac mini, iPad, HTPC, streaming set top boxes...everything else works. I don't give a shit why Android can't get it done and I have no interest in re-encoding everything merely suit my Android devices. I don't want 4 copies of everything, one for my Samsung, another for my Xoom, yet another for my Transformer and a 4th good copy for EVERYTHING else. My library takes up enough space as it is.

But transcoding for Android is a discussion for the Android forum...not the pOS6 blows goats thread.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I realize that's the topic. But you are the OP and the CONTENT of your posts further determines the direction of a thread. The content of your posts sort of turns it into a pOS6 blows but Android still blows even more thread, which would likely be better suited to the general cellphone forum, rather than the Apple one. You could do 2 separate topics, both in the Apple and Android forum as well. You'd likely be criticized over there for not doing something right, like some critics of iOS get over here. However, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it's sound technical advice that might help you. I can't help you with iOS6 as I have not used it yet. I could likely help with Android. No hard feelings. Just giving my opinion on your posts and my experience.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

There is no fixing the Android problem. The only solution for that particular Android problem is transcoding or re-encoding my sizable library which I'm not willing to do.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

That is where you are wrong. Try mxplayer(much better than stock player) with the appropriate codec for your ARM processor version. Solves codex support issues for my Burst and my hubby's Galaxy S(original), with their less than stellar codec support. Some phones do have better built-in codec support. If you need dlna for streaming, BubbleUPnP works seamless with my media server and mxplayer.

No transcoding or reencoding here.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I've tried a bunch of different players including paid for players and their premium codecs. So far I've tried Meridian and Poweramp (both their premium versions). But I'll try mxplayer when I get home.

It shouldn't be this hard. Google's OEM player should "just work" with MP4 like everything else does. 1 app, 1 library should get the job done.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Google's does work well and includes all major codecs. The dumbed down version in most manufacturers Roms is the problem. Not much Google can do about it since they left it open for them to modify so that they would include it on many devices. This approach has its strengths(being able to modify and customize as you choose, strong open source development, price and spec competition between makes) and its weaknesses(bloatware+lower quality ROMs locked down or lacking key features, varying hardware quality). It is left up to the buyer to buy a device that suits their needs. Apples approach has its strengths and weaknesses as well, which is pretty much reversing androids strengths and weaknesses.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

2 edits

skeechan

Premium Member

I can't get the OEM video player to play much of anything. It just claims it can't play this video and this is my high profile MKVs and MP4s. I have some old 480P .mov stuff it'll play but that's about it.

I just tried mxplayer with the ARMv7 codec on my T33 and it is MUCH smoother but still dropping frames (stuttering during the panning over Budapest intro to MI4:GP) whenever I have a panning background in 1080P MKV BRD rip (haven't tried an MP4). Still way better than Meridian. Meridian was virtually worthless.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

What frames do you get? I'm about to get either an a700 or a transformer infinity, and this worries me.

And yeah, you do kinda bash android too much. Ice cream is pretty much bug free, and so is (hopefully) jelly bean.

I haven't had to restart my galaxy s3 or a500 running ics once! I used to have to restart my a500 every day when it ran honeycomb lol.

Of course it ran slow too until returned my a500 back to original settings, after installing ics.

You have to remember, android shoots for a real Linux based OS on a tablet, while Apples OS is a highly simplified OSX. You need lots of power to run android well.

I would have to imagine though, that a quad core transformer prime could easily run 1080p with that said...

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Our posts inspired me to take the plunge and compile ffmpeg for Android. No longer do I need to use the software tenderer and the hardware tenderer barely taps the CPU on 720p. Silky smooth! It is a bit of work, but is well worth it. Has considerably reduced my battery usage on those mkv and mp4 files. Now to upload a 1080p file to it! Give it a shot if you're bored. My burst could use hardware for some things but now I can use it for everything. Now I don't have to keep the charger handy. Given the very low CPU usage, it may be just the ticket of making it smooth enough to make you happy. Mxplayer can use ffmpeg very handily. IMHO, it's the perfect solution.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
I haven't actually looked at the framerates of games. For video the apps simply drop the frames when it gets behind but I don't know if the app is trying to do film at 24fps or regular 1080P at 30pfs or what.

I'm also seeing a truckload of scaling artifacts mxplayer.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Hey Skeechan. Trying to help you has made me research video issues on Android a little more. As well as improve my experience a bit further. Likely, your codec support blows goats, like mine. Players like vlc and mxplayer fall back to software rendering via their own codecs on unsupported codecs. While my experience has been smoother, most 3rd party players seem to not support full hardware acceleration. This combo has still resulted in a pegged CPU that drains the battery super fast. I had tried compiling ffpeg with x264, wmv, and others for use in mxplayer's custom codec setting. Much much better CPU use, some multicore decoding still going on, but complicated, though with optimal codec support, but seemingly does not use the Tegra2 to full advantage. I found a gem on Google Play that would seem to alleviate this gpu acceleration issue entirely, but still leaves out a couple codecs but still way way better than stock. Mp4 files like yours play perfectly. This app »play.google.com/store/ap ··· oid+beta I read about installs ffmpeg with most codecs with an ffmpeg server and internal command line for encoding. So, I boil my stock video player that I read is the only player to use full hardware acceleration, but lousy codec support. Much to my delight, it played most files it previously could not, with low CPU usage and perfect framerate, even with high profile 1080p. Google got its player right, but probably feared copyright backlash by adding codecs beyond what's included on carriers Rom's(hahaha with AT&T). The apk is for arm v7. My phone is a neon and it's compatible. Just can't support neon instructions. Still it results in the best hardware acceleration and is easy to implement(install an apk). Figured I could give skeechan further Android help as we seem to be the last 2 posting.