how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scla

join:2006-05-19
Beaumont, CA

Is FiOS getting TWC SportsNet?

Time Warner Cable bought the rights to Lakers games. Does anyone know if FiOS will pick up this channel?

»www.twcsportsnet.com/sportsnet.html

»www.iwantmylakers.com

marc3565

join:2009-10-08

A lot of noise on official forums about this..
»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Pr···p/484827

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Pr···p/461311

anonimoose

@verizon.net
reply to scla

I've heard it from a reliable source that FiOS won't get the channel until early December. Negotiations started 9/12.

Bolt1963

join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

said by anonimoose :

I've heard it from a reliable source that FiOS won't get the channel until early December. Negotiations started 9/12.

Why carry it all then? Seriously. They will have already lost the majority of Laker fans by December. They already lost plenty of PAC 12 fans. They should just get out of the market all together then.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by Bolt1963:

said by anonimoose :

Why carry it all then? Seriously. They will have already lost the majority of Laker fans by December. They already lost plenty of PAC 12 fans. They should just get out of the market all together then.

Bolt just leave Fios .....U my friend is starting to remind me of my Mother-in law....

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Bolt1963

said by Bolt1963:

said by anonimoose :

Except there are many of us in SoCal that could care less about the Lakers channel and the other expensive sports channels that simply drive our overall rates up. Put all of them in a sports tier that we don't have to buy and we'll be happy to let you all support your own sports preference by buying that tier.

Bolt1963

join:2011-07-19
Redondo Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom See Profile
Bolt just leave Fios .....U my friend is starting to remind me of my Mother-in law....

:

Already added TWC.

PJL - we went over this in other threads. Lobby congress for ala carte. B/C just as much you don't like paying for sports channels, many of us don't like paying for the 150 channels we don't watch other than Sports programming.

You don't see any of us complaining in the threads asking for some random channels like G4, BBC America or whatever the hell you guys watch. Believe me, that garbage adds up too.

CallmeJimmyJ

@verizon.net
reply to scla

I have called Verizon 3 times, to ask about the status of the negotiations. I get a blanket statement each time saying they are negotiating but no deal has been reached. I think the loyal customers deserve to know more about whats going on behind the scenes. Is verizon really negotiating? When can we expect to see the channel? I will not miss 1 game. Pre Season starts Oct.7...and thats also when my countdown will begin. I wont wait til the last second to switch cable companies. I love Verizon, but trust me I wont miss out on USC/UCLA and the Lakers/Galaxy and soon to be Dodgers. Hurry up. I wont be the only one walking.

CallmeJimmyJ

@verizon.net
reply to scla

Why do I have to pay for a Big 10 Network, The LongHorn Network (Texas) the Tennis Channel etc? I live in LA County and I cant even watch USC/UCLA, as well as the Lakers? Give me a break. What kind of business are you guys running? Who makes that decision? I mean seriously I just noticed a new 24 hour/day "Barbie Channel"? Really VErizon? I pay good money to watch my favorite teams. If $300 a month in bills isnt good enough, what is?

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6

Who makes the decision? The NBA, the broadcast owner, and also the other rebroadcast owners. They all negotiate to their interest. One party wants the most for their channel, the other party wants to pay the least. If time warner wants to charge 100 bucks a subscriber per month, you expect verizon to just cave in and take a loss on behalf of customer's interest in Basketball? Makes 0 business sense

You are free to do what you like, companies have no obligation to provide you the channel - just because, and you are not obligated to stay with verizon depending on your terms of agreement you signed.

As for the part about deserving to know what is going on behind the scenes.... i deserve to win the lotto, because i said so.. lol

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to CallmeJimmyJ

said by CallmeJimmyJ :

Why do I have to pay for a Big 10 Network, The LongHorn Network (Texas) the Tennis Channel etc? I live in LA County and I cant even watch USC/UCLA, as well as the Lakers? Give me a break. What kind of business are you guys running? Who makes that decision? I mean seriously I just noticed a new 24 hour/day "Barbie Channel"? Really VErizon? I pay good money to watch my favorite teams. If $300 a month in bills isnt good enough, what is?

Barbie channel is not a real channel and its not new. ITs an ondemand ad, and they change what ad is up from time to time. Only thing good about it is Verizon gets paid for it keeping the next increase down a bit.

scla

join:2006-05-19
Beaumont, CA
reply to scla

Finally! I was going to switch to TWC.

Grate job VZ FiOS!

»espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lak···elecasts

aztecjames

join:2011-09-10
Newbury Park, CA

Tried to chat today with Verizon to see how I get the channel. They have no information yet.

eival

join:2008-07-09
reply to scla

im sure you'll have similar issues to what the NYC tri state area providers had with the MSG network which is owned by Dolan who owns Cablevision, for years he only allowed the SD feed to competitors

since you have fios the SD feeds of stations are really a minute issue of video quality compared to HD, since theres no compression artifacts that make it look worse than it should, that most other providers have

aztecjames

join:2011-09-10
Newbury Park, CA
reply to scla

Now we know the channel #'s it will be on. Does anyone know when will it be available?

"Time Warner Cable SportsNet will be available on FiOS TV Channel 78 in standard definition and on FiOS TV Channel 578 in high definition. Time Warner Cable Deportes will be available on FiOS TV Channel 79 in standard definition. In addition, the programming will be available to FiOS TV customers online and on mobile devices including smartphones and tablets in the future."

»www.4-traders.com/VERIZON-COMMUN···5442331/

lakerfan82

join:2009-01-30
Corona, CA

Its on this morning! Just in time for the 1st game broadcast on the network tonight!

celticpride

@verizon.net

I noticed verizon has twcsportsnet on channels 78 and 79 in sd and channel 787 in HD, I thought they were also suppose to have that channel in HD in the spanish version but i dont see it anywhere. I thought the deal was suppose to include both HD versions of the channel in engish and in spanish?

skierrob

join:2012-08-13
Signal Hill, CA

What package is it available in though? Prime, Extreme or Ultimate?

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6

All 3, as long as you arent on some standalone local package or spanish only

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to scla

According to the latest Tweet, It is available on West Coast Chan 79.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to scla

Just checked it out and it's available in Extreme. However, it's anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen" but IMHO it looks better than 4:3 stretched for widescreen. I guess for me squeeze is better than fatten.

ALbino

join:2003-02-01
Chino Hills, CA

The Laker game is on 578 in HD right now.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty bad. Compression artifacts, and blurry frames after every camera flash. Though that might be the actual feed from Time Warner, and not FIOS, or maybe the actual equipment at the house I'm at.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by ALbino:

The Laker game is on 578 in HD right now.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty bad. Compression artifacts, and blurry frames after every camera flash. Though that might be the actual feed from Time Warner, and not FIOS, or maybe the actual equipment at the house I'm at.

The picture quality wasn't as good as other channels, but I did not see the problems you describe on my TV.

George K

@acmefilmworks.com
reply to ALbino

I agree. I did not thing the picture quality was that great for an HD channel. It looked more compressed than it should have.

ALbino

Chino Hills, CA
reply to scla

There's a home game on Friday, so I'm going to record it on both my house FiOS DVR and my office TiVo and reserve judgement until then

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to stevek1949

Got this channel yesterday on 578. I had to key in the digits as there was no entry in the guide for this channel.

Lakers are 0 and 2 already!

Personally I'd much rather have the Pac 12 network than TWC's channel.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10
reply to ALbino

said by ALbino:

There's a home game on Friday, so I'm going to record it on both my house FiOS DVR and my office TiVo and reserve judgement until then

How are you getting this channel if youre in texas ?
Expand your moderator at work

ALbino

Chino Hills, CA
reply to dcowboy

Re: Is FiOS getting TWC SportsNet?

I'm not in Texas anymore, just haven't updated my profile.

By the way, the picture quality on Friday's game was very solid at my office, which has FiOS and is in Chino, CA. The game I watched before was at a family member's house in Chino Hills, and I've since checked their SNR and it's pretty awful, so I think I'm going to have to babysit their system for a day and get someone to come fix it for them since they'll never do it

eival

join:2008-07-09

said by ALbino:

I'm not in Texas anymore, just haven't updated my profile.

By the way, the picture quality on Friday's game was very solid at my office, which has FiOS and is in Chino, CA. The game I watched before was at a family member's house in Chino Hills, and I've since checked their SNR and it's pretty awful, so I think I'm going to have to babysit their system for a day and get someone to come fix it for them since they'll never do it

yeah, its definitely his wiring cause League Pass used the Time Warner for the pistons game last night and it didnt have any compression issues.

»imgbox.com/adxKP0t9

although i dont see how bad wire connections would add compression artefacts, unless fios has some type of adaptive compression based on your signal, so its sending him the "240p quality" to use Youtube as an example rather than the lesser compressed HD.