uniqs
share rss forum feed

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to scla

Re: Is FiOS getting TWC SportsNet?

Just checked it out and it's available in Extreme. However, it's anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen" but IMHO it looks better than 4:3 stretched for widescreen. I guess for me squeeze is better than fatten.

ALbino

join:2003-02-01
Chino Hills, CA
The Laker game is on 578 in HD right now.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty bad. Compression artifacts, and blurry frames after every camera flash. Though that might be the actual feed from Time Warner, and not FIOS, or maybe the actual equipment at the house I'm at.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by ALbino:

The Laker game is on 578 in HD right now.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty bad. Compression artifacts, and blurry frames after every camera flash. Though that might be the actual feed from Time Warner, and not FIOS, or maybe the actual equipment at the house I'm at.

The picture quality wasn't as good as other channels, but I did not see the problems you describe on my TV.

George K

@acmefilmworks.com
reply to ALbino
I agree. I did not thing the picture quality was that great for an HD channel. It looked more compressed than it should have.

ALbino

Chino Hills, CA
reply to scla
There's a home game on Friday, so I'm going to record it on both my house FiOS DVR and my office TiVo and reserve judgement until then

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to stevek1949
Got this channel yesterday on 578. I had to key in the digits as there was no entry in the guide for this channel.

Lakers are 0 and 2 already!

Personally I'd much rather have the Pac 12 network than TWC's channel.

dcowboy

join:2012-05-10
reply to ALbino
said by ALbino:

There's a home game on Friday, so I'm going to record it on both my house FiOS DVR and my office TiVo and reserve judgement until then

How are you getting this channel if youre in texas ?
Expand your moderator at work

ALbino

Chino Hills, CA
reply to dcowboy

Re: Is FiOS getting TWC SportsNet?

I'm not in Texas anymore, just haven't updated my profile.

By the way, the picture quality on Friday's game was very solid at my office, which has FiOS and is in Chino, CA. The game I watched before was at a family member's house in Chino Hills, and I've since checked their SNR and it's pretty awful, so I think I'm going to have to babysit their system for a day and get someone to come fix it for them since they'll never do it

eival

join:2008-07-09
said by ALbino:

I'm not in Texas anymore, just haven't updated my profile.

By the way, the picture quality on Friday's game was very solid at my office, which has FiOS and is in Chino, CA. The game I watched before was at a family member's house in Chino Hills, and I've since checked their SNR and it's pretty awful, so I think I'm going to have to babysit their system for a day and get someone to come fix it for them since they'll never do it

yeah, its definitely his wiring cause League Pass used the Time Warner for the pistons game last night and it didnt have any compression issues.

»imgbox.com/adxKP0t9

although i dont see how bad wire connections would add compression artefacts, unless fios has some type of adaptive compression based on your signal, so its sending him the "240p quality" to use Youtube as an example rather than the lesser compressed HD.

ALbino

Chino Hills, CA
I'll admit that I'm new to FiOS so I'm not sure how their stuff works, except that they supposedly pass the signal along untouched, but I checked the VOD at their house and it was compressed as hell as well, and I quickly looked at a show like Jeopardy and the blue background also looked like it had compression artifacting to me, whereas at my office it's smooth as could be.

I ran the Video Diagnostic tool at their house and it failed and said it needed to be repaired. The SNR says something along the lines of "Unknown" or "Undefined", I don't recall the exact term.

I wonder if they have the game still saved at their house, because if they do I'll take some pictures of how bad it looked.