pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

4 edits

pulp46

Premium Member

[Wireless] LTE in Carp - arguement with Rogers

So Rogers LTE map shows Carp to be in the thick of LTE land. I spark up my handy-dandy iP5 only to see 3G at best. Yes, I get LTE in Kanata, Nepean, Ottawa and other areas, the issue is not my phone as Rogers was so kind as to point out. I made inquiries with Rogers higher-ups who assure me LTE is indeed, functioning in Carp blah blah blah.... so have countered with:

1. Change your LTE Maps, otherwise, that's false advertizing.

or

2. Light Carp up already!

LOL

So I'm curious, does anyone here actually receive LTE, in Carp, as Rogers publicly states via her Maps and verbally? I have driven far and wide throughout god's country and have never seen LTE light up here. I'm hoping not, so it's just a matter of fixing the transmitter and NOT Rogers thinking a 200sq/foot area can be considered as a town being LTE served.

gleonard
join:2012-03-27
Carp, ON

gleonard

I'm located near Richardson Side Road and William Mooney which is west of Carp Road. Not exactly Carp village but not in the city either. We picked up a LTE Rocket Hub on Saturday and it's been on LTE permanently. It actually works surprisingly well.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Thanks gleonard. Yeah, I'm smack dab in the heart of Carp Village, you're several miles away. Good to know, will inform Rogers to push the signal north-east. LOL

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
Looks like Carp is on the fringe of LTE coverage. If you disable the other overlays, you can see that.

Rogers map was probably a tad more generous. I really doubt they drive around and measure signal strenght in various areas... It's likely some computer model.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

That's right HiVolt but I'm smack in the middle of the dark purple LTE. I mentioned this to Rogers and they state I should be on it. I believe deceptive marketing is a huge reality with this LTE coverage.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

How far do you have to drive to get LTE coverage?

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

I have to drive to Kanata, although I didn't try where gleonard lives because I don't ever go that way. Either way, several miles!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Escalate. Get some credits on your account, its also possible its some technical glitch and maybe Rogers will move to fix it.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
Point being, I'm in the heart of Carp, The Village, where 90% of residents live. If Rogers wants to state Carp is lit, it better not be just a fringe part. That's just wrong and unethical IMHO!

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yep, I'd be frustrated just the same...

Maybe one of the Rogers drones will see this thread...

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Yep, I'd be frustrated just the same...

I already got them on it, hold up while I go to PC so as to provide a pic.
pulp46

pulp46 to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I see that it's a funny matter to them... Clowns.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to pulp46

Mod

to pulp46
Yes, Rogers map is generous ... even with the transmitter tower on 2nd line coverage for GSM in the Dunrobin Road corridor is spotty. I think that tower is to cover the area between 2nd line and Carp Ridge.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
It's the Rogers business model.

Say you have coverage, and charge appropriately, when it comes out that the paid for coverage is not available, point to some GOTCHA clause.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

2 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
said by gleonard:

I'm located near Richardson Side Road and William Mooney.... It actually works surprisingly well.

Okay, so I took the long-about route into Kanata and around your 'hood because it was bugging the crap out of me that you found LTE in Carp, right on the fringe but technically Carp nonetheless:

Nope! Still no LTE right at the corner of Richardson and William Mooney.

Yes, LTE is enabled:

I carry down Carp Rd to Hazeldean and within 1 kilometre east on Hazeldean, LTE kicks in for my trip throughout Kanata, albeit only in certain areas. Bridlewood was spotty etc...

Why the hell does LTE work on your Rocket Hub? Perhaps the answer lies within!
pulp46

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
said by gleonard:

We picked up a LTE Rocket Hub on Saturday and it's been on LTE permanently. It actually works surprisingly well.

I presume you are using it on a laptop, or iPad? Both? Any other devices you are currently successful with?
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

Boy you're having no luck at all. There is an outage on Rogers LTE since last night. We noticed it at 6:30pm. It's still not working this morning. Problems have been reported across the country.

As for the devices - 2 Windows PCs, a Linux box and using the Wi-fi functionality from the Rocket hub for 2 Android tablets.

Before the outage we set the Rocket Hub to only use LTE instead of automatically selecting the network. Not sure how much of a difference it made. When we initially plugged the thing in it picked up LTE immediately (and it was set to automatic at that stage).

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by gleonard:

Boy you're having no luck at all. There is an outage on Rogers LTE since last night. We noticed it at 6:30pm

Is that unbelievable or what? I'm cursed with this damn LTE, goes down exactly when I get there! Was it something I said? LOL

Anyways, your LTE is BACK:

I'll swing around into the boonies later today to test it out.
pulp46

4 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Wow, LTE starts shortly before William Mooney, you lucky sonzagun!

I guess Rogers covers the areas she won't for cable Internet / TV. Anyways, nice to know some small part of Carp gets LTE, but I stand by my statement that Rogers is misrepresenting its LTE coverage when 90% of the population cannot receive it! I would even call it consumer fraud!
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

Really! We are lucky since it is the only usable option we have for internet access. The Rogers tower is just a little further west on Richardson, past the bridge over the highway.

This site shows the location of cell towers. »www.ertyu.org/steven_nik ··· tes.html There's another Rogers tower near Donald B. Munroe and Carp Road. Maybe that one isn't LTE enabled?

When I called Rogers last night about the loss of LTE the confirmed that I should be connecting the tower on Richardson. Maybe they can confirm that the tower in downtown Carp is LTE enabled or not?

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Thanks for the tip, I will find out and report back, neighbour!
pulp46

4 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Initial observations show that you have an extra spectrum (2100MHz) used for its LTE I bet!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MhCLkVOg

pulp46

2 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Got confirmation my tower is not LTE enabled but "coming soon". I asked the CS to tell the suits to take down their LTE Map for Carp because it's misrepresenting their service.

Rogers says it supports 1700/2100 MHz and the 2600 MHz spectrum. I'm guessing your maxing out at about 20Mbps on that 2100MHz tower, right? I'm told LTE download speeds of up to 40 Mbps+ are achieved in the 2600MHz equipped towers. Here's to hoping Donald B Munro's gets retrofitted as such!
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

Actually when I tested using speedtest.net a few times Sat - Mon we were getting 25 Mbps-31Mbps.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

pulp46

Premium Member

Prolly speedboost bump, just not upper tier of LTE anyway. Heh, Rogers is now "throttling" cellular! LOL How are your torrents working out?
pulp46

3 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Hey gleonard, you stated you just received LTE last week. Is this the first time you've had Internet at the house or were you using sat, ExplorerNet etc?
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

In the past year we've used:
1. Rogers portable internet (service shutdown by Rogers in March).
2. Xplornet 4G satellite - horrible ping times, horrible throttling and extremely unreliable
3. Bell 3G cell phone + dial up. Dial up was actually better than satellite. Might take 40 mins to download a song on iTunes but at least it worked. Couldn't even do that on the 'new' 4G satellite system.
4. Rogers Rocket Hub - It's been the best of them all - except for the recent outage. I've been able to VPN to work and download games from Steam.

As for torrents - well with a 20GB cap, $10/GB overage it's pretty much a no go. Hoping in the future they either increase the cap or lower the overage.

The most frustrating part is that Richardson Side Road has active fiber on it - there's a development further west, near the Rogers tower that has FTTH. They leap-frogged everyone between west Kanata and that development. I actually talked to someone in the Bell engineering dept and there are no plans to put ONUs in the area. It was after that conversation that we decided to give the LTE Rocket Hub a try.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to pulp46

Mod

to pulp46
That is definitely an old map ... it totally missed the Wind Tower on 2nd line which has been there for about 2 1/2 years ... and this summer raised from about 50' to 150'

That's one odd location for a tower to serve carp by Rogers. You'd think they'd put it up on the ridge and not down the hillside below the Diefenbunker down by a certain hardware centre and seniors residence. Maybe that's it ... give the bunker good cell service ... aim it into the hillside! and give service to the seniors who are getting into cell stuff now!

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Wow g, that's a hell of connectivity history. At any point... did you ever think about MOVING? LOL I kid, I kid! Seriously however, I did just that in one of my many moves, decided high speed Internet was a priority.