Search similar:

uniqs
gleonard
join:2012-03-27
Carp, ON

gleonard to pulp46

to pulp46

Re: [Wireless] LTE in Carp - arguement with Rogers

Really! We are lucky since it is the only usable option we have for internet access. The Rogers tower is just a little further west on Richardson, past the bridge over the highway.

This site shows the location of cell towers. »www.ertyu.org/steven_nik ··· tes.html There's another Rogers tower near Donald B. Munroe and Carp Road. Maybe that one isn't LTE enabled?

When I called Rogers last night about the loss of LTE the confirmed that I should be connecting the tower on Richardson. Maybe they can confirm that the tower in downtown Carp is LTE enabled or not?

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Thanks for the tip, I will find out and report back, neighbour!
pulp46

4 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Initial observations show that you have an extra spectrum (2100MHz) used for its LTE I bet!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MhCLkVOg

pulp46

2 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Got confirmation my tower is not LTE enabled but "coming soon". I asked the CS to tell the suits to take down their LTE Map for Carp because it's misrepresenting their service.

Rogers says it supports 1700/2100 MHz and the 2600 MHz spectrum. I'm guessing your maxing out at about 20Mbps on that 2100MHz tower, right? I'm told LTE download speeds of up to 40 Mbps+ are achieved in the 2600MHz equipped towers. Here's to hoping Donald B Munro's gets retrofitted as such!
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

Actually when I tested using speedtest.net a few times Sat - Mon we were getting 25 Mbps-31Mbps.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

pulp46

Premium Member

Prolly speedboost bump, just not upper tier of LTE anyway. Heh, Rogers is now "throttling" cellular! LOL How are your torrents working out?
pulp46

3 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Hey gleonard, you stated you just received LTE last week. Is this the first time you've had Internet at the house or were you using sat, ExplorerNet etc?
gleonard
Carp, ON

gleonard

In the past year we've used:
1. Rogers portable internet (service shutdown by Rogers in March).
2. Xplornet 4G satellite - horrible ping times, horrible throttling and extremely unreliable
3. Bell 3G cell phone + dial up. Dial up was actually better than satellite. Might take 40 mins to download a song on iTunes but at least it worked. Couldn't even do that on the 'new' 4G satellite system.
4. Rogers Rocket Hub - It's been the best of them all - except for the recent outage. I've been able to VPN to work and download games from Steam.

As for torrents - well with a 20GB cap, $10/GB overage it's pretty much a no go. Hoping in the future they either increase the cap or lower the overage.

The most frustrating part is that Richardson Side Road has active fiber on it - there's a development further west, near the Rogers tower that has FTTH. They leap-frogged everyone between west Kanata and that development. I actually talked to someone in the Bell engineering dept and there are no plans to put ONUs in the area. It was after that conversation that we decided to give the LTE Rocket Hub a try.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to pulp46

Mod

to pulp46
That is definitely an old map ... it totally missed the Wind Tower on 2nd line which has been there for about 2 1/2 years ... and this summer raised from about 50' to 150'

That's one odd location for a tower to serve carp by Rogers. You'd think they'd put it up on the ridge and not down the hillside below the Diefenbunker down by a certain hardware centre and seniors residence. Maybe that's it ... give the bunker good cell service ... aim it into the hillside! and give service to the seniors who are getting into cell stuff now!

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Wow g, that's a hell of connectivity history. At any point... did you ever think about MOVING? LOL I kid, I kid! Seriously however, I did just that in one of my many moves, decided high speed Internet was a priority.
pulp46

pulp46 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
I agree sbrook, why not have it on TOP of the Dief. renting space on the existing tower there? I can see it every night from my second story window, 1/4 mile away. Imagine the speed!!!
pulp46

4 edits

pulp46 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
That is a WIND tower, sbrook. It says MIKE but click on the tower and it changes to Wind Mobile 2100MHz. I'm posting via my iP5 on LTE in Kanata so I can't embed a pic via UL from PC. Trying a link via SkyPath App which is ImageShack, hope it works!

»imageshack.us/photo/my-i ··· 5818.png

*** God DAMN this LTE is SWEEEET to work with! A6 processor and LTE make for a snappy happy pulppy!!!

****EDIT***

Found another locator:

pulp46

3 edits

pulp46 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

That's one odd location for a tower to serve carp by Rogers.

What is the tower on the Dief. serving, sbrook? Anyone have an updated cell tower locator?

***EDIT*** »www.loxcel.com/celltower doesn't show what's on Diefenbunker either.

***EDIT2*** Diefenbunker Towers »members.storm.ca/~nsheph ··· /VE3CWM/

Here's my Rogers tower you're talking about... it looks like Sanford and Son is taking care of it! No upgrades goin' on here!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· nqW3F57E
pulp46

4 edits

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
Despite what Rogers says and shows on her map, LTE isn't coming any time soon to Metro Carp:

0 LTE Cell Sites!

Here's what she's outfitted with.... nevermind waiting to be lit, no LTE hardware even!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to pulp46

Premium Member

to pulp46
said by pulp46:

Prolly speedboost bump, just not upper tier of LTE anyway. Heh, Rogers is now "throttling" cellular! LOL How are your torrents working out?

I don't think there is speedboost on cell data service.
Expand your moderator at work

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: [Wireless] LTE in Carp - arguement with Rogers

said by elwoodblues:

said by pulp46:

I don't think there is speedboost on cell data service.

That's just my weird sense of humour.
pulp46

pulp46 to gleonard

Premium Member

to gleonard
So I'm *hearing* Carp will get LTE upgraded in 2013. With my luck, it will be on Dec.31, 2013.

Coverage Map is still deceitful, no LTE ANYWHERE up and down CARP Rd:

»www.rogers.com/web/conte ··· aimImage
Expand your moderator at work