Onion, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to KodiacZiller

Re: Canada and the US Government hacked by China

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

I am not dismissing the story. I don't buy the part in the quote to whit:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.

social engineering can close any gap.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2

said by AVD:

said by KodiacZiller:

said by chrisretusn:

I am not dismissing the story. I don't buy the part in the quote to whit:

Hackers linked to Chinas government broke into one of the U.S. governments most sensitive computer networks, breaching a system used by the White House Military Office for nuclear commands, according to defense and intelligence officials familiar with the incident.
This at best is a huge exaggeration. I very much doubt that a "most" sensitive computer network used for nuclear commands was breached.

I concur. It is extremely doubtful such a system is setup as being accessible from the public Internet. As you said it sounds like some ignorant secretary running Doze opened a malicious .PDF from a spear phishing email.

social engineering can close any gap.

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1

said by KodiacZiller:

If the sensitive systems are not on the Internet, then social engineering via e-mail wont work.

wrong.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--