spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TSUFtWayne
join:2012-10-02
Fort Wayne, IN

TSUFtWayne

[Internet] Can I replace my Frontier Actiontec Router w/Linksys

About a week ago I spoke with a Frontier Field Tech Rep who led me to believe that I could REPLACE my Frontier FIOS Actiontec Router with any new router as long as my Frontier FIOS Router is connected via an ethernet cable connection, which it is (some of them are connected with a COAX cable feed to get their internet service connection in to the router. That said, I told him indeed our FIOS router is connected through Ethernet Cable & not COAX, so I'd like to replace it with a new Linksys E2500 Router with Simultaneous Dual-Band (2.4ghz & 5ghz) capability. The Actiontec Router they provided us (actually I think we pay to rent it each month) gives us the speed we're paying for, 35/25 & sometimes I even get speeds as high as 45/40mbps, but ONLY WHEN I AM CONNECTED WITH ETHERNET CABLE. This is the problem though, because our house is over 4,000sq ft & the router is in the den at one end of the house, with the signal degradation being so significant that at only 35'-50' away, depending on whether you're in the basement or the main level Family Room, brings our speed down to 14/9, 12/8 & sometimes we lose connection with it altogether for a couple minutes.

This may seem like a small annoyance to some, but this is a huge annoyance to myself, & my son, who are the 2 who use the internet most. We also have a LOT of wireless devices that use this router to connect, around 9 to be exact. 3 of them are directly connected to ports 1, 2 & 3 (a Laser Printer, an Ooma VOIP Phone & a Desktop), all of these are located in the den where the router is. When home there are 2 4G Verizon smartphones that connect wirelessly to the internet, 2 Sony Vaio Laptops (both high-end with Intel Core I7 processors & a large Memory Bank), a Sony Network Adaptor for the TV upstairs to watch Netflix & other internet TV shows/movies & finally my son's Xbox 360. The Xbox gets affected adversely probably more than any other item. IF the Actiontec Router just had simultaneous dual-bandwidth, or any kind of decent range then there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Now I've called Frontier about this issue & they've made it crystal clear that we've already got the best router they have to offer & are paying for the fastest internet speed they offer as well. We pay a lot for our internet service, over $70 a month for just their internet access! That said, here's where I have some questions & am hoping someone can help with some advice or suggestions of ANY KIND?!

QUESTION #1: Can I disconnect my Actiontec Router, which was provided by Frontier, & instead connect my Linksys E2500 Router, or will this cause an issue with compatibility with the Frontier Network?

QUESTION #2: I am hoping to get better wireless speed with this new router seeing as it's a simultaneous dual-band router & got great review for it's range & signal strength at longer distances. If anyone has this model router & knows differently that would be good to know, as I will be receiving the router any day now & have only 90 days to return it. I just don't want to get into spending $100 or more for a different router, which from what I read probably won't make any noticeable difference anyway.

QUESTION #3: Does anyone know if the Frontier Actiontec Router is a single band router, if it's an N-Range Router (or worse could it possibly be a G-Range Router)? Any info on this router would be greatly appreciated

QUESTION #4: Assuming I can swap out the Actiontec Router for my Linksys Router I'm going to need some guidance. I'm assuming I'll have to get into the router's settings & ensure it's set to the same IP Address as the Actiontec Router I'm removing. Is this correct, and also can anyone provide me with step-by-step instructions on how to do this swap with as little hitches as possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
TSU-Fort Wayne, IN

ALSO: I'm in the process of trying to run CAT 6 wire throughout the house, all in the 568B Configuration, which seems to be the new standard & most common for CAT 6. Ideally I'd like to use one of the ports on the Linksys to run line down to the basement & dedicate it to my son's Xbox. My biggest problem I'm having is that I bought a spool of Stranded, Unshielded CAT 6 Ethernet Cable & a 10pk of RJ45 Ethernet Plugs for CAT 6 Cable, but these are VERY DIFFICULT to terminate successfully. I have gone through 3 of these RJ45 Plugs already trying to get the connection successful, but to no avail.
QUESTION: Can anyone recommend a good, EASY-T0-USE RJ45 Plug for CAT 6 Cable that are easier to use than the kind I'm currently using (the kind I'm currently using I got from cablesandkits.com, & here's the link so you can see exactly what they look like: cablesandkits.com/RJ45-cat6-modular-plugsconnectors-for-stranded-wire

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

Re: [Internet] Can I replace my Frontier Actiontec Router w/Link

1) Yes, it will work and work well. Be sure to release the DHCP lease from the advanced settings of the Actiontec or you'll have to wait two hours. Also, if your data service is not on Ethernet, you'll want to have Frontier swap it. Here's a very good guide for doing this, with or without TV: »/faq/15981

2) 5Ghz will not stretch as far as you want. You should move your single access point to the middle of your structure or, if not possible, have two access points, one at either end, connected back via Ethernet to the router that's linked to the ONT.

3) It is a single band 2.4Ghz access point that can talk 802.11-draftN on that band.

4) No, just do one of these three things: release the DHCP lease (of your public IP from Frontier) prior to disconnecting the Actiontec; disconnect the Actiontec and wait 2 hours for the lease to expire; after disconnecting the Actiontec, call Frontier tech support and ask that "the Fiber Solutions Center manually break the lease." (use those words)

TSUFtWayne
join:2012-10-02
Fort Wayne, IN

TSUFtWayne

WESM: Thank you SO MUCH for your EXTREMELY helpful reply to my post. After typing it all I realized it was longer than I thought it would be, but I wanted to be sure to not miss anything. Your answers are clear, concise & to the point, which is just what I needed right now!

I just can't thank you enough, and with that if ever I can return the favor somehow please don't hesitate to ask (as is true with any member). The timing couldn't be better either as my new Linksys Router just arrived today & had I not have joined this site & posted my issue right away I'd probably still be trying to search for a straight answer online from one of the many search engines.

Seems like almost all of them want to talk about bridging or adding a second router & setting it as my primary router but with WESM's post I'm confident now that I can completely do away with the Actiontec Router provided by Frontier FIOS. Maybe Frontier can donate it to a technology museum, since that's about all it's good for.

THANK YOU WESM & DSLReports.com!!!!!!!!!

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

I'm glad the post was helpful. Hopefully everything goes smoothly for you. One thing I'll mention in closing: I have one of the revision F Frontier routers that's a bit over a year old and I actually like it. The small NAT table problem was fixed in revision C and so far this one has done everything I could want. Yes, the UI is a bit clunky but so is every other NAT device's stock interface. Just having MoCA, an 802.11 access point, and a 4-port Ethernet switch built together in one device is handy to me.