PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to Gone

Re: New US Border rules.

The US official website says:

Under the pilot, the Department of Homeland Security and Canada Border Services Agency will exchange routinely collected data of third-country nationals (those who are neither citizens of Canada nor the United States), permanent residents of Canada and lawful permanent residents of the United States at the following four ports of entry....

»www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/new···2012.xml

The Canadian official website says:

Under the pilot project, the CBSA and DHS will exchange data currently collected on third-country nationals (those who are neither citizens of Canada nor of the United States), permanent residents of Canada and lawful permanent residents of the United States at the following four ports of entry....

»www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/releas···eng.html

So any newspaper article implying otherwise was indeed poorly constructed, which is not unusual these days.

------------------------------

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you guys, even though I think the timing is bloody insane.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

The article I read said that permanent residents were to be excluded, so saying it is poorly worded is an understatement.

Maybe that article was wrong. <shrug>

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to PX Eliezer70
I can see why they're doing this. There are restrictions on how long Green Card holders are allowed to leave the United States. They are supposed to be permanent residents, after all.

So now the US government will know when these snowbirds with Green Cards leave the US and will be able to revoke their Green Cards if they violate the rules.
Expand your moderator at work

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to peterboro

Re: New US Border rules.

So, did anyone see this new 'program' in action over the long weekend?