All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Lore
join:2012-10-02

Lore

Millenicom Recomendation

I'm really looking at Millenicom as my option for service here in the woods of NW lower MI. Right now, I'm on a grandfathered 3G Alltel unlimited bandwidth service now under Verizon, which is coming to an end the first of the year. From there on out I would have to sign up for their more limited service which caps bandwidth monthly use at 5 gigs a month for the same price as I can get for 20 with Millenicom's 3G Advanced Plan. Sprint unlimited is not an option in my area.

In addition, I figure the no contract feature to be a plus with Millenicom, since when and if something better comes along in my vicinity I can take advantage of it when it happens.

My question to the good folks on here using this service. Is this a better choice then going with Exede or HughsNet G4? Which would be my only other options. I'm a little leery of the service, expense and reliability of these satellite providers.

I have the Cradlepoint MBR90, which has craped out again, this is number two in so many years. Not many alternatives. I see this is replaced now from Cradlepoint with the MBR95. Is anyone having issues with this unit and the Millenicom supplied Novatel U760 Device?

Thanks and looking forward to your input.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

I have the 20gb advance plan, the novatel u760 and the mbr95. My mbr95 is always acting up to where I have to reset it often (about every other day currently using the latest firmware). The builtin wireless router was really giving me issues so I disabled the wireless and hooked up my old cisco wireless router and all seems fine. From storys that I've heard, some people love the mbr95 and some just hate it. Im somewhat between the middle. I hooked up my external antenna from my cricket modem for better signal (see my cricket/millenicom reviews).

Other then that I can play games like halo reach, tf2 and l4d2 just fine. 20GB does the job for me. If I want to stream videos, I use my iphone 5 with my unlimited plan. Oh and for me in texas, they only charge me $59.99 a month. No taxes or anything which is really nice. And like you said its no contract so if something better comes your way, just cancel the service and you're set. Only bad side is that its somewhat a high start up cost since you got to buy the modem and the first month of service.

This weekend I will be going to my sisters house to see if my setup works. If it does, she plans on buying everything to get service at her house. I highly recommend millenicom before satellite.

Hope this info somewhat helps.
Lore

Lore

Thanks Duramax....

This reset problem is something I believe is inherent with these kind of routers. I had the same problem with the MBR90s too. It got progressively worse until they both finally died.

Was looking into TP-Links routers and noticed reviews specifying the same problem with these devices too.

I'm not sure how I can go wrong with Millenicom, since it basically uses the same service I have now through Verizon. It's survivable, not great, but in a world gone mad with broadband Internet, we who live in the hinterlands have no choice other then to fall behind the curve or accept what we can get.

I was hoping HughsNet new G4 would be useful, but after looking at there caps which is a split on use between primary on/off hours for the total, you really don't have anymore benefit and maybe several times the hassle. Most people seem to be struggling getting the expected speeds out of the satellite services as well.

Holding out for 4G and Verizon Fusion.
haresear
join:2010-03-05
Montrose, CO

haresear to Lore

to Lore
For Verizon 3g network it all depends on what the loading on your tower is like. Here in Western CO the loading is heavy during the day and evenings, and I usually get 100-400 kbs. On the other hand, at 4am I often get >1 mbs -- sometimes as much as 2 mbs. At any time of day the download rate is highly variable minute to minute.
Lore

Lore

I suspect the same thing in my area, I get about the same results. I believe a lot of the old towers are overloaded and I imagine it won't get any better until Verizon finishes the upgrades for 4G. After all, they aren't about to double back on all that expense and work. Those in the rural areas are obviously last on the list.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Lore

to Lore
Just an FYI- VZW can NOT force you into a new contract. if you refuse to sign and your equipment works- which it does- they have to honor what you signed up with. You can keep that service for the next 50 years and they'd still have to honor it.

I know someone that has VZW and signed up back when they were offering unlimited everything for $45 a month (early 2000/2001), plan was offered for 3 months. The person STILL HAS the same plan. He just buys his phones at full cost to keep this plans. VZW has to honor his rate plan since he's not changing services.
Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel to Lore

to Lore
said by Lore:

Holding out for 4G and Verizon Fusion.

Now that Millenicom's LTE hotspot plan is officially set at 20GB of 4G per month, I can't see any benefit to choosing Verizon's HomeFusion service; it just doesn't make sense. As for Millenicom vs. any satellite provider, I'd recommend Millenicom every time. Even if you're not a gamer, the latency problem with satellite internet is insufferable.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

totally agree Lamiel
Lore

Lore

As I understand it, what's left of the old Alltel data network will be shutdown and my mobile broadband device will cease to function. Verizon of course is willing to offer a free replacement along with a new and more expensive contract service for less bandwidth as well as the move up to 4G when available.

The bottom line is if you want 4G, they will call that an upgrade to your present service in any case. Verizon is saying by early 2013 4G should be in place everywhere. Not holding my breath though for here.

I'm in agreement with the latency issue on satellite reception. Not a gamer myself, so it was never a huge consideration, since the overloaded old 3G service I have now is weak at best, even with $600 worth of Wilson booster installed here. Sat would be a big improvement, regardless

I'm a bit concerned that Millenicom is piggy backing on top of all these providers and with spectrum at a premium I wonder how long they will be allowing their service contract to exist with them.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

If it happens we will know. Please don't come on here trying to invent a crisis where none exists.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal to Lore

Premium Member

to Lore
According to the Mayan calender the world is going to end this year too !!! Millenicom has been going strong for years . And you believe it will all end overnight . And so what if it does . You are not under contract with them . Just move on . I am sure you can find a lot better things to worry about . Do not come in here and cry wolf . If it happens it happens.
Lore

Lore

Seems you're a little sensitive about a real concern?

The question of service disruption because of their business model is of course not manufactured, but one I'm sure most potential clients should take into consideration when evaluating Millenicom.

One of the benefits of Millenicom is the fact that there is no contract. I suspect that it makes it much easier for them too, if their service should up end.

Jumping into a service like Millenicom has upfront costs in hardware and fees so its not exactly a carefree investment without having any skin in the game. I'm leaning towards it, because my hope is that it will last at least as long as something better comes by and at a point in which the costs are amortized out a bit. Also, because it's the devil you know, since they really rely on the quality of service from Verizon and Sprint.

In any case, I believe I've been able to make up my mind. Thanks all, for the feedback.
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal

Premium Member

Been with Millenicom over four years ! Get tired of non believers and non users coming and speculating when it will all end ! Millenicom has contracts with the upstream providers if it ends it will not happen overnight . Join or don't join . But don't come in speculating about the eventual demise that there are no indications it will ever happen. And the up front costs are not that bad when you consider going with one of the major carriers means a 2 year commitment and a $300 - $400 early termination fee if you decide to find another means of internet access.
said by Lore:

Seems you're a little sensitive about a real concern?

The question of service disruption because of their business model is of course not manufactured, but one I'm sure most potential clients should take into consideration when evaluating Millenicom.

One of the benefits of Millenicom is the fact that there is no contract. I suspect that it makes it much easier for them too, if their service should up end.

Jumping into a service like Millenicom has upfront costs in hardware and fees so its not exactly a carefree investment without having any skin in the game. I'm leaning towards it, because my hope is that it will last at least as long as something better comes by and at a point in which the costs are amortized out a bit. Also, because it's the devil you know, since they really rely on the quality of service from Verizon and Sprint.

In any case, I believe I've been able to make up my mind. Thanks all, for the feedback.

Lamiel
join:2008-04-05
Saint Johns, MI

Lamiel to Lore

to Lore
Lore, I completely understand your concern; I, for one, don't think you're trying to invent a crisis or crying wolf. Your questions about this service are completely reasonable, and, I might add, responsible, considering that - as you pointed out - you will have some up-front costs. No one should purchase a service without considering all the angles, and finding out what those angles are is one of the purposes of this forum. I can tell you that Millenicom is a solid company that has been going strong for a few years now, and most of us have no complaints with the service. As for longevity - it's as sure as anything else in this crazy cellular broadband world. I think it's absolutely worth taking the chance.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Lore

Premium Member

to Lore
Lore you just joined 10/2/12. Please don't come on here with a bunch of speculation and what if's. If you're that paranoid don't subscribe. go somewhere else that you think might be safer. Meanwhile those of us long term Millenicom will still be here satisfied.