Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ke4pym

Re: I've gone and done it ... solar install

said by ke4pym:

If I wanted to put in a battery system (which is an option, but I don't have a suitable place to store the batteries or want to put up with the expense) I could run from that at night if the power was out....

Don't bother, it's not worth it. Batteries have a life of 3 years, 5 if you're extremely lucky.
Powering only 1000W for 4hrs will require some 4500Wh from batteries.
A single typical 12V/60Ah deep cycle battery gives 720Wh at low drain. You'd need a bank of ~10 such batteries to sustain the load for 4hrs. Given the cost of $125-ish for a single battery you'll be better off running a small generator in the event of an outage.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

said by cowboyro:

said by ke4pym:

If I wanted to put in a battery system (which is an option, but I don't have a suitable place to store the batteries or want to put up with the expense) I could run from that at night if the power was out....

Don't bother, it's not worth it. Batteries have a life of 3 years, 5 if you're extremely lucky.
Powering only 1000W for 4hrs will require some 4500Wh from batteries.
A single typical 12V/60Ah deep cycle battery gives 720Wh at low drain. You'd need a bank of ~10 such batteries to sustain the load for 4hrs. Given the cost of $125-ish for a single battery you'll be better off running a small generator in the event of an outage.

which is why they make solar batteries, guaranteed for 20 years, and it's much cheaper to run off stored energy from solar cells, than run a generator.