Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to Name Game

to Name Game

Re:  

said by Name Game:

never seen addresses, phone numbers or etc. on facebook... got a link ?

There's a place to enter all of that - phone numbers, home addresses, screen names for IM - in your About section, and you have fairly high granular ability to set privacy settings (Everybody; Friends; Friends except Acquaintances; Friends of Friends; etc).

I have chosen that all my friends can see all my info, and Everyone and Friends-of-Friends can see most of it. None of this information is required save for an email address associated with your account.

Steve

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
There was a generation of people, like my mother, who just never got into using computers. When her typewriter died, my mother was reduced to using paper and pen. She was given a free computer, but she took no interest in it.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

What I found hilarious though is that site doesn't even keep statistics on the over 64 age group. That must be because this group knows what it likes and dislikes and so are not easily swayed by advertising.

Exactly. Older people have been around the block a few times and are much less likely to be swayed by the "look at this new shiny thing" type of advertising. They've seen shiny things before and know that not all are gold

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much. While they may use desktops or such, they are probably lighter on using the mini personal devices that now seem to thrive around social-networks. I recall not so terribly long ago when programmable VCR's came on the scene with their counter-intuitive operating menus, that adults said, "if you want your VCR successfully programmed to record tonight's football game, just ask your kid to do it." Those adults are now over 65, and the kids have grown up living with programmable devices - and now have kids of their own. And those parents of the adults from the earlier days are now just like rcdailey See Profile describes in the post just above this one.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

Or... older people, as a category, don't go in for the new "techie stuff" nearly as much.

True. Since I'm an older techie, and programmed peoples VCR's and digital watches when I was younger, I have my fair share of toys What I don't and won't have are toys that want to track my every movement.
StuartMW

StuartMW

Premium Member

Re: Posting online is like getting inked - only data lives on...

BTW, and I don't think anyone has made this point explicitly, once your information is out there in digital form it is very unlikely to go away.

It has been reported that Facebook (like MySpace and others before it) is becoming less popular. However even if FB disappears it's data will be bought and will "live on" in whatever new shiny service that takes it's place. That is also true if people stop using it.

In medieval times it took monasteries full of monks to copy stuff by hand and pass it down. That is not true with electronic media. A 1TB HD can be copied very quickly.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

The motto "Data is Forever" should be kept firmly in mind, by everyone using a digital device connected online. (With apologies to De Beers...)

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Facebook tops 1 billion users, CEO Zuckerberg concedes co. in a tough cycle

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, October 4, 3:39 PM

NEW YORK — More than a billion people now log into Facebook each month to check up on old friends, tag photos of new ones and post about politics, religion, cats or what their kids are doing.

That’s double the 500 million it hit in July 2010 — what now seems like a lifetime but was a little more than two years ago. August 2008 marked another big juncture, 100 million users.

The latest milestone also amounts to nearly half of the world’s roughly 2.5 billion Internet users, as measured by the International Telecommunications Union.

So who are these people?

»www.washingtonpost.com/b ··· ory.html

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

I hope Zuckerberg is investing in things other than FB. My bet is that it'll just be a memory in 5-10 years,

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
From Washington Post
quote:
...CEO Mark Zuckerberg marked the milestone on his Facebook page, as he has in the past when the site’s users hit nice round numbers.

“If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving harvesting you,” he wrote. “Helping Harvesting data of a billion people connect is amazing, humbling immensely profitable and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.”
Fixed it for Zuck...